Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Smashing Pumpkins Band • Page 40

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 3, 2016.

1. CSWAPPO

Regular

2. chelsealouanne

Regular

Gonna try and get tix for Toronto eventually! The band is really blessing us; saw them basically every year since 2015 (including a WPC show).

beachdude, CSWAPPO and MexicanGuitars like this.
  3. NitrateDawn

Regular

Just saw an iPhone ad with a slowed down version of We Only Come Out At Night, that was wonderfully random haha

tomdelonge, CSWAPPO, Orla and 2 others like this.
  4. CSWAPPO

Regular

We Only Come Out At Night

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  5. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Still such a drag “Stellar” didn’t make the regular track listing for Zeitgeist. One of my favourite post-reunion Pumpkins tracks

NitrateDawn and CSWAPPO like this.
  6. CSWAPPO

Regular

I love that song so much!

Orla likes this.
  7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Haha I was just telling a friend last night that SP and GNR had kind of a similar story the last few years with their reunions. That’s cool.

chelsealouanne and CSWAPPO like this.
  8. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Weird - Why isn’t that album on Spotify?

CSWAPPO likes this.
  9. CSWAPPO

Regular

Alot of fans did not like the mix of the entire record. I personally loved it cause it was gritty and textured different than most pumpkins records. WPC has said that they are going to remix and master it. Who knows when the hell that will happen.... Machina has taken FOREVER!

I loved Zeitgeist. I saw them on the Zeitgeist tour and that record really got me interested in the band. I'd say that it was my starting point for them.

The song called United States is mindblowing!
    As a guitar player, I loved the record!

Mcrx and Orla like this.
  10. SVXDan83

Regular

United States is an amazing song; definitely one of the best post-Machina era SP songs! The problem I have with the album is that the mastering is brick-walled so every possible dynamic has been squeezed out of it. Couple that with WPC's super-dry, thin, very up front vocals and it just isn't pleasant. I'm sure the pre-mastered mixes sound worlds better!

CSWAPPO likes this.
  11. chelsealouanne

Regular

It seems to be really well received, too!

12. CSWAPPO

Regular

I'm excited to hear the remaster. I miss being able to listen to it on Spotify. Also! I'm hoping that some of the songs from If All Goes Wrong make the remaster box set. It's a shame that songs like 99 floors, Mama, Gossamer, The Leaving Lament, and I'm Trying The Best I can never made it out of that era.

SVXDan83 and Orla like this.
  13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Listened to TheFutureEmbrace for the first time last night, PRETTY GOOD

beachdude and Orla like this.
  14. SVXDan83

Regular

Gossamer was killer live! I'd love a proper recording of that. I'm sure all of that would be compiled together were a reissue to actually happen.

Slightly OT, but somewhere on the Internet, I came across a few un-mastered Zwan tracks that leaked out and they sound so much better than what actually got released. It gives me hope that there actually was good fidelity in these recordings that just got trampled by the time the mastering engineer was done with them!

CSWAPPO likes this.
  15. manoverboard365

Trusted

United States is in my top 5 favorite SP songs ever. But as a whole I hate the album. As someone said earlier, his vocals are so upfront. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that mix. And at a lot of points the guitars are way too loud. Like in the bridge for Tarantula, when the solo ends it rings out way too long and loud to understand where the next part is heading.

16. SVXDan83

Regular

I think they thought this was somehow giving it more of a "live" feel. Personally, I'm tired of hearing from bands trying to achieve that. It always seems like "live feel" translates to "bad sounding record". IMO, there's a reason why the mixing process can take weeks as opposed to a live show where its nearly set-it-and-forget-it! :)

CSWAPPO and manoverboard365 like this.
  17. SVXDan83

Regular

upload_2020-2-20_10-36-34.png

Looks like WPC said this the other day on IG

18. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

In retrospect, I think the production choices on Zeitgeist work enjoyably as a one-off. If Oceania followed suit, I’d view that sound much more unfavourably.

19. SVXDan83

Regular

Have you heard the "Bonus EP" that came out shortly after Zeitgeist? There's a very well mixed 16:30 live version of Gossamer on it. Ironically, I think this live track sounds better than anything on Zeitgeist from a production standpoint!

CSWAPPO likes this.
  20. abw123

Trusted

What else is on this Bonus EP you speak of?

Thanks

21. SVXDan83

Regular

CSWAPPO likes this.
  22. abw123

Trusted

Cool, thanks.

23. CSWAPPO

Regular

Dude...Zeitgeist was such an awesome period for the band. They played with so much love back then. So many deep cuts were played in that era. One thing that kinda drives me nuts now is that they don't have their amps on stage anymore. I totally understadn why they decided to use ISO cabs....due to more control in arena environment. Kinda of a weird thing to be bummed out about, but I swear that the mic bleed added to the overall sound live. Plus, I just loved geeking out on their gear. I've never heard an amp transport me quite like Billy's Diezel herbert. Standing in front of that thing was insane! Total Sonic Destruction!

Orla likes this.
  24. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

My love for “That’s the Way” is endless.

Orla and CSWAPPO like this.
  25. chelsealouanne

Regular

One of my Zeitgeist favourites, too.

Full Effect Ed likes this.