Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Smashing Pumpkins Band • Page 34

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 3, 2016.

1. manoverboard365

Trusted

Rolling Stone - how the hell do you only give this 2/5 and name Solara the best track? They actually gave Zeitgeist 4/5 and Monument 3/5 hahah what a joke

CSWAPPO likes this.
  2. chelsealouanne

Regular

I was up for the live stream on Facebook, and it actually exceeded my expectations! I mean, "Marchin' On"?! "Travels", as well. The band should be really proud of this shiny new chapter.

3. NitrateDawn

Regular

Holy shit, I'm on my first listen and the Marchin' On vocal take sounds like it came straight from the Machina 2 sessions

CSWAPPO likes this.
  4. chelsealouanne

Regular

So, of course, I am wearing SP (Shiny tour shirt) to work, and the Newspaper I work for is running a review for the album, and who gets to lay out the page? Me! The review is a positive one (much to my surprise):

beachdude, ugman_2000 and CSWAPPO like this.
  5. NitrateDawn

Regular

Wow, With Sympathy is just beautiful

CSWAPPO likes this.
  6. NitrateDawn

Regular

A couple tracks (Knights of Malta, Alienation) that will probably require few listens to come around on, but overall I love it. I'm so so happy.

CSWAPPO likes this.
  7. manoverboard365

Trusted

Jeez I just realized what a terrible week they picked to release this. New albums from Mumford & Sons, Anderson Paak, Mariah Carey, and the reimagined Greatest Showman all came out today too. I hope this at least makes the top 10.

CSWAPPO likes this.
  8. chelsealouanne

Regular

It's Billy's sons third Birthday today, so I know that had a lot to do with it!

9. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve been so busy today I’ve not had the chance to listen to it yet but I’m stoked that you’re all enjoying it in here. I’m definitely going to give it a blast tomorrow though.

CSWAPPO likes this.
  10. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Silvery Sometimes and With Sympathy are my favourite Pumpkins songs since like... maybe even before Oceania? how are they this good

SteveLikesMusic and CSWAPPO like this.
  11. NitrateDawn

Regular

Pitchfork review is up and... it's what you'd expect lol

CSWAPPO likes this.
  12. manoverboard365

Trusted

Pitchfork is seriously the worst. It's fine that they don't like the Pumpkins, but a 3.4? Give me a break.
    I've never seen a publication try so hard to grab views by giving ludicrously low reviews. Like when they gave Childish Gambino's first album a 1.6 or Weezer's Make Believe a 0.4.

Anyway, 3 days of spinning this and I really enjoy it. Alienation is the only song I dislike. With Sympathy is definitely my favorite.

CSWAPPO likes this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Want to go for a sleigh ride

14. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Finally got around to this album and I really like it!! Knights of Malta is a killer opening track.

CSWAPPO and manoverboard365 like this.
  15. manoverboard365

Trusted

Knights of Malta is definitely my favorite off this, followed closely by With Sympathy.

CSWAPPO and beachdude like this.
  16. manoverboard365

Trusted

I can't believe how poorly this sold. Apparently it debuted at #54 in it's first week.

How is that even possible? They had a couple of limited variants of the vinyl that sold out in pre orders....did they just not report those sales?

CSWAPPO likes this.
  17. CSWAPPO

Regular

It's hard to pin point why is didn't rank higher...I think a lot of people are just burnt out on the band releasing new music...Which is super shitty. All of us older, die hard fans pre-ordered the record on multiple formats...so I don't know. I also don't think that they should have released Solara as the first single. Not that it's a bad song...But Silvery Sometimes had a lot more hype behind it. Hell, even Marchin' On would have been a cool first single. Also, I think it's hard for people to get into a record that all the songs we're designed to be released as singles and not a cohesive Album. I hope that Vol 2 will be more cohesive and flow a bit better. I wish that he'd dig out songs from the archive for the next one like As Rome Burns or Burnt Orange And Black. Fuck, Put Gossamer on the next one! Idk. Just my two cents.

What do you guys think would make Vol 2 better? What could have made Vol 1 rank higher on the charts?

manoverboard365 likes this.
  18. NitrateDawn

Regular

I mean tbh who do you know of in 2018 who's excited for a new Pumpkins record beyond the die hards? They don't really have much of a place in the modern musical climate, which makes me super sad to say. I also think they're just not viewed very well in the general public image anymore, whether it's due to be Billy's remarks (which are almost always taken out of context) or just people not liking the post-reunion music (which I think is still all great). I think the perception of them is as kind of a joke, which, again, makes me super sad to say about my favorite band.

19. CSWAPPO

Regular

Well said. I completely agree. I wouldn't doubt that Billy's remarks are definitely hurting album sales in some aspects. He comes off lately as a little senile and bitter to people who don't really care about the band. You see some of the shit that the headlines pickup and it kinda makes you shrug your head. Why would anyone in 2018 check out the new record when he's always surrounded by so much controversy.

beachdude and NitrateDawn like this.
  20. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I lean more to die-hard than casual fan, but I've only streamed it once. There were some good moments, but nothing really caught me. I don't know, maybe there's something more when I go back to listen again, but I don't think this really picked up steam on anyone outside of die-hards. Big mistake not releasing this in time for the tour in my opinion.

21. Jim

Trusted Supporter

I agree, they're one of my favorites ever but I've only listened to the album a couple times. I did buy the vinyl, I haven't opened it, however.

22. NitrateDawn

Regular

I did think it was super odd that they waited until the tour was over to release the album. The tour and the album could have essentially promoted each other

CSWAPPO likes this.
  23. NitrateDawn

Regular

I usually hate when threads devolve into ranking but I'm curious, where would others place SaOSB in their discography? I think for me it'd probably be 2nd to last, just above Zeitgeist (but I still really like it!)

CSWAPPO likes this.
  24. CSWAPPO

Regular

I'd rank it in the middle somewhere. Its not my favorite, but it's also not mind blowing like Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie

NitrateDawn likes this.
  25. CSWAPPO

Regular

I wonder what the setlist is gonna be like tonight. Someone on Reddit just said they sound checked with Spiteface.