Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Smashing Pumpkins Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 3, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

cubsml34 likes this.
  2. TedSchmosby

Trusted

definitely an ambitious dude. it's yielded some wacky results but i've always liked that about him

3. Schmohawk

Eat Snickers, leave garbage.

It looks like the reunion is getting closer to actually happening. Although fair warning- this article's title is misleading, and Corgan is doing his best job to throw some cold water on it, any progress is good news as far as I'm concerned.

Q107.com- Smashing Pumpkins' Original Lineup to Reunite

4. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Anyone else been keeping up with Thirty Days project? It's been kind of neat to follow and get some really raw (albeit casual) versions of SP songs and generally see how many other people are massive SP fans like myself. On the other hand I'm thinking, "Wait, don't you have like a wee infant you should be attending to??"

5. NitrateDawn

Regular

I haven't been following. Even though they're my favorite band I can't really bring myself to care about anything that isn't new music (or rereleases; I need that Machina 2 remaster to happen even though it likely won't now). Glad to hear it's an interesting project though.

cubsml34 likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yep, falling head over heels in love with this group. Siamese Dream is absolutely demolishing my ears right now. Going straight into MC tonight. "Hummer" and "Silverfuck" my god

8. manoverboard365

Trusted

This is your first time diving into their catalog? Oh man, you're in for a treat. Mellon collie and Adore are classics. I bought MC when it first came out over 20 years ago and I still listen to it on the regular.

cubsml34 likes this.
  9. MexicanGuitars

Hummer for the longest time was my favorite SP song. I love the band so much now that I don't have an outright favorite, but it's definitely in the top 5 hierarchy. For the longest time I avoided downloading Silverfuck though in case my parents saw it on my iTunes account, idk why I didn't just rename it haha.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  10. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Glad your digging the pumpkins Cody.

It's so hard to call a favorite track as they've got so many good ones and they are my favorite band. If I had to narrow it down it'd probably be one of Thirty Three, Porcelina or Age of Innocence.

cubsml34, amorningofsleep and Ken like this.
  11. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Not sure I could choose a favorite either. I do think they Zeitgeist gets too much hate. I actually thoroughly enjoy that album.

12. NitrateDawn

Regular

Always love seeing someone new discovering my favorite band. 1979 or Stand Inside Your Love swap places for my favorite song. Also really love a b-side called Speed Kills that doesn't get enough recognition.

cubsml34 likes this.
  13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Man, I'm hard pressed to think of someone else who can write beautiful, touching and introspective tracks and pivot on the next one to absolutely shred the guitar like Billy does.

cubsml34 likes this.
  14. manoverboard365

Trusted

Picking my favorite Smashing Pumpkins is nearly impossible. It changes on the daily, but some gems are Let Me Give the World To You, Tonight Tonight, Mayonnaise, For Martha, Stand Inside Your Love, Thirty Three and Jellybelly.

cubsml34 likes this.
  15. manoverboard365

Trusted

Never could make Zeitgeist click, although I do listen to United States almost every day I go to the gym. Such a great song to get you pumped up lol

16. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"ma belle," which was on the rerelease of zeitgeist, is i think still the best song of the "reunited" sp era

17. NitrateDawn

Regular

All the b-sides from Zeitgeist are better than anything that actually made the album, save That's The Way

18. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Agree 100%, but I'll go to bat for Tarantula too.

19. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

This may have been the best band to come out of the 90's. Nothing really compares to what they put out that decade.

20. manoverboard365

Trusted

Tarantula is a great song, but the horrible mixing just ruins it for me. The vocals seem off....like they aren't necessarily loud, but just mixed oddly. Also it always bugs me when they go into the quiet bridge but that lead distorted guitar is so loud at first that you cant even hear the clean quiet guitar.

I almost forgot I do love That's The Way, though.

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  21. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Not quite on release date, but I recall buying it sometime in the late 90s and it was the only double CD I owned for the longest time. Yet, I don't think I appreciated its scope until recently (maybe I still don't fully).

I loved the shit out of the Siamese-esque melodic rockers on Disc 1 (plus "Thru the Eyes of Ruby," which is still a near-top SP song for me) as a kid, but revisiting it more seriously a few years ago, I was finally hit with the brilliance of stuff like "To Forgive," "Cupid de Locke," "Stumbleine," etc. Billy is an absolute prodigy, even if I haven't always loved his output and creative decisions in later years.

It's just hard to even conceive of the energy and talent that must've gone into writing that record. I still think Siamese Dream is my favorite to listen to front-to-back, but damn if MC isn't the most impressive thing they ever wrote -- and one of the most impressive rock records of the 90s.

22. MexicanGuitars

Absolutely fantastic choices, Age of Innocence is so underrated.

Probably my favorite SP ripper save for Geek USA.

Hummer, Mayonnaise, Muzzle, Thru the Eyes of Ruby, and Zero are probably my top 5 in no particular order, but the next 25 slots are basically all interchangeable.

23. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I almost listed Eyes of Ruby instead of Porcelina in my top 3 but yeah my top pumpkins tracks change quite regularly depending on what mood I'm in.

cubsml34 likes this.
  24. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I legit think your first 4 are all in mine, which is crazy. I'll swap out Zero for Geek USA and call it good.

cubsml34 likes this.
  25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

my theory about zeitgeist is that it's barely mastered. vocals all sound foregrounded and isolated like almost any record i've heard pre-mastering

CSWAPPO and manoverboard365 like this.