Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Smashing Pumpkins Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 3, 2016.

1. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

All I can say is that it's too late. This is something that they should have done ten years ago when the Smashing Pumpkins name was reactivated. They could have made a far better album than Zeitgeist. The Smashing Pumpkins has since become a nostalgia act, and James and D'arcy rejoining just seems like more of a money thing than anything else.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  2. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i looooved zeitgeist when it came out, but it's super uneven and corgan left the best songs off of it (stellar, ma belle)

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Probably Siamese Dream then Mellon Collie, though both are masterpieces

4. manoverboard365

Trusted

While the post 2005 albums have definitely been the worst, there is still really good stuff on them.

Zeitgeist - United States, That's The Way My Love Is
    Oceania - Quasar, Panopticon, Violet Rays (I actually love this whole album)
    Monuments to an Elegy - Tiberius, Drum & Fife

To me the big appeal of the reunion would be (hopefully) a setlist that is geared more to the 91-2000 era.

5. So probably headlining Coachella 2017?

6. manoverboard365

Trusted

Man do I hope so. I already got my tickets on the presale, will be my first (and probably only) time going. What a year to go!
    If anything they'll be at lollapalooza.....headline their hometown's festival.

7. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

amorningofsleep likes this.
  8. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Idk why I haven't found this thread yet considering SP is far and away my favorite band of all time. Love all the original albums, Zeitgeist came around right when I had gotten heavily into them, but aside from Oceania and the American Gothic EP which I think is truly underrated, I haven't gotten into the newer stuff a ton.

Have been playing Pisces Iscariot a bit lately; always have loved it but it's crazy to think its a b-sides compilation haha.

airik625 likes this.
  9. MexicanGuitars

"I think I'm ready to get back to big riffs, big choruses. So I guess I have to get Jimmy Chamberlin on the phone[makes facial tick] - there's another tick - and maybe some other people [makes facial tick] who used to be in the band."

OH MY GOD

10. manoverboard365

Trusted

2017 is gonna be an amazing year, if only just because of this.

cubsml34 likes this.
  11. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Wow, if this happens it'll be something special.

cubsml34 likes this.
  12. Schmohawk

Eat Snickers, leave garbage.

While I know nothing is official and it's just hints and discussion at this point, just the fact we seem to be moving in that direction of classic SP, in terms of lineup and sound makes me so happy and excited.

13. Horrorca

Trusted

just being able to see the original line-up live is enough to get excited AF

coleslawed and manoverboard365 like this.
  14. manoverboard365

Trusted

I had been second guessing myself for buying Coachella passes a year in advance with no knowledge of the lineup. Now that this seems like a guaranteed headliner booking though all my worries are gone.

15. MexicanGuitars

Thrice just posted a 1979 cover, thought I'd post some SP covers from bands in the AP/Chorus scenes at one point or another to get stoked about 2017!

coleslawed and manoverboard365 like this.
  16. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

heard mayo on siriusxm earlier and went off

17. MexicanGuitars

Just broke out the guitar to play that and about 8 other songs haha. Getting to see Mayo live last year with Jimmy drumming was a dream come true

18. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Mayo used to be one of my favorite songs to play on guitar, as well as "To Forgive."

cubsml34 likes this.
  19. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Heard Adore for the first time recently and was pretty darn impressed, going to have to do a deeper dive at some point

20. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I actually enjoyed the last album for what it was, but something about it lacks the "ambition" of previous albums to me. With that said, "Anti-Hero" is one of SP's "biggest" choruses ever, imo.

21. razorburn

Trusted

coleslawed, cubsml34 and beachdude42 like this.
  22. beachdude

The fact that the original lineup seems likely to be coming back is very very exciting.

23. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

who has heard from d'arcy tho

24. beachdude

I feel like she may end up being the original member left out of the "reunion" tbh... I wouldn't be surprised if the others didn't want to take that risk considering her history of addiction and other issues. But we'll see.

25. cherrywaves

Trusted

The two of them reconciled this year, Billy posted a vid talking about it. Not shocked if she's in a reunion