Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Smashing Pumpkins Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by airik625, Jun 3, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Can't believe there wasn't a thread for this band yet.

Am I the only one that absolute loves Zeitgeist and thinks it is criminally underrated?

Essie and CSWAPPO like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

SD and MC... are both masterpieces. Probably my favorite band of the 90s grunge scene

3. airik625

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

"Tarantula" and "United States" are awesome songs. Zeitgeist has some good cuts, but it really suffers from having to compete against their older stuff.

cubsml34 likes this.
  5. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Yeah, for a few records they were absolutely incredible. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie are among the greatest records of the 90s, and the other three "original SP" albums are quite good themselves even if not as excellent. I don't think Zeitgeist is the disaster some make it out to be (production aside) but really none of it holds up as better than decent except Tarantula, which is truly great.

1979 is at worst like my third favorite song of all time.

6. Horrorca

Trusted

not a popular opinion, but Adore is my favorite - such a beautiful, dark little thing of autumn nights and dispair

amorningofsleep likes this.
  7. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Their first three albums are among the best of the 90s, I think. Love them and enjoy the last two releases as well, for what they were. (In fact, I don't know if there's been an official SP release I've straight-up disliked, Zeitgeist included.)

They're at the top of my Must See Live list for sure.

8. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

I really really enjoyed Oceania.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  9. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Also obligatory:

[​IMG]

10. airik625

Still haven't listened to Oceania. Been meaning to do that.

11. TedSchmosby

Trusted

It's been a minute since I listened to anything from Oceania, but it definitely had some jams

12. manoverboard365

Trusted

Oceania was great.

When I saw them in April they played 2 new songs, "Cardinal Rule" and "The Spainards." Both sounded like the best things Corgan has written in 10 years.

13. Paul Beaumont

I do think if they'd have gone away after Adore then they would have been held up as one of the absolute best acts. If they released their first four albums now they'd be untouchable, it just so happens that there were an insane amount of incredible acts around that time already so don't get held up quite as high as they should.

14. chelsealouanne

Regular

Yes, a SP thread is back! *Points to avatar* I've had it since I was a member on AP, so of course I had to carry it on here, and venture into here for my first post. To answer your question, NOPE! Most certainly not, my friend! Every time I make mention of Zeitgeist or rank this album as highly as I do, people are surprised the love I have for it. That's the Way (My Love Is), Bring the Light, (Come On) Lets Go!, United States, Starz, I mean, what is there NOT to love?!

airik625 likes this.
  15. airik625

@chelsealouanne they're all so good. I find it to have great replay value too.

16. cherrywaves

Trusted

Zeitgeist has some good songs but my god that mixing job is terrible. His vocals are soooo loud haha

17. airik625

Yeah the mixing isn't the greatest, I'll agree with that for sure.

18. manoverboard365

Trusted

Yeah 100% the mixing is awful on that album.
    I enjoy Tarantula, That's the Way My Love Is, United States and Doomsday Clock. I still think i'd rank it last, though.

19. cherrywaves

Trusted

I haven't listened to anything really post-Zeitgeist but it seems like the last two have been received well?

20. Paul Beaumont

I think the two latest albums are superb.

21. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Being Beige is such a great song.

22. manoverboard365

Trusted

Reliable sources are reporting that the original lineup is reuniting and shopping around their return to the major festivals. Holy shit I would be all over this. I already got my coachella 2017 tickets so I'd die of happiness if by sure luck they are headlining.

23. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

@OhTheWater Where am I starting here, Mellon Collie?

24. cherrywaves

Trusted

Siamese Dream is much easier for a first listen

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  25. airik625

Also that Billy Corgan just finished recording a solo album.