Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Slowdive - Slowdive (May 5, 2017; Dead Oceans) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cherrywaves, Mar 28, 2017.

1. smoledman

The thing about this album is most of the songs have lengthier intros than songs on JFAD/Souvlaki, with lots of textures and melodies and subdued vocals. Just to pick out a song - "Slomo', the use of the synth in the intro reminds of something Brian Eno would have had them do back in the day. Goes to show how a one-time involvement stuck with them.

2. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Brian Eno should be an influence on everybody's list to be honest.

3. Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

My favorite part of this is it's definitely a Slowdive record.

When you think about it, their sound is inimitable. They are literally the next band after MBV to be mentioned when you hear the term shoegaze. It's stood the test of time, over 20 years.

And then after no one else has successfully mimicked the sound enough to steal their early 90s thunder, they come out with the same magic two decades later. And if anything the age difference has only deeply seasoned their music making skills.

Slowdive is a hell of a band man. They aren't done leaving their mark.

smoledman, Aaron Mook and CarpetElf like this.
  4. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

They're finally getting the credit they deserve and it's awesome.

smoledman likes this.
  5. smoledman May 22, 2017
    (Last edited: May 22, 2017)
    smoledman

Honestly I was a bit fearful when I first heard they were making a new album. I thought it would be Mojave 3 with a couple of shoegaze songs thrown in. This album is like a dream. The first time I heard the intro of 'Slomo' I was just floored. As in they managed to sound like themselves but in a way that sounded 'new' if you get my drift.

6. smoledman

It takes until 2:25 of "Falling Ashes" for the vocal to enter. How many long songs out there have very extended intros that you get impatient for the vocals to enter, but with this it's like the 2:25 flow by like it's nothing. I love how the band takes its time for everything to come together & flow just right. 8 minutes, not too long or short, just right. "Stairway to Heaven" is about the only other 8 minute long song I can remember that had the same dynamic.

But more on "Falling Ashes", it doesn't sound like anything they've done before. Reading some interviews Neil & Simon are are enthusiastic ab out this song and what 'avenues' it allows them to pursue beyond prototypical shoegaze.

Super excited about their next project which I hope won't need a 22 year wait.

7. smoledman

8. smoledman

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this is hitting me now, nice

10. smoledman

New 'Sugar for the Pill' remix:

11. Fans of this should consider checking out Beach Fossils' new album, Somersault. It's one of my other favorites of the year and Rachel does guest vocals on the track "Tangerine."

jpmalone4 and smoledman like this.
  12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I'm in love with this. The beginning of Sugar for the Pill is the absolute best.

13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is pretty great

14. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

smoledman likes this.
  15. smoledman

Interesting how thin the sound is without Christian, you can clearly tell the missing guitar part. Also Simon on an electronic percussion pad is a bit weird!

16. Deathco_019

Drummer

Finally giving this album a listen and, even just four tracks in, this is awesome

17. cwhit

this has grown on me a ton, really great

18. smoledman

'Sugar for the Pill' is like a torrential flood of melodies!

Cameron likes this.
  19. cwhit

want to see them in november

20. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Took me a while to get around to it, but this is fantastic

21. smoledman

Episode 111: Slowdive

Here song exploder meets with Neil Halstead to talk about the construction of 'Sugar for the Pill'.

Aaron Mook and jpmalone4 like this.
  22. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I've become obsessed with this band, went and downloaded the whole discography. Can't wait to see them in November.

23. smoledman

Also "No Longer Making Time" I think has a Wuthering Heights reference too. Kate Bush fans, rejoice.

24. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

The piano in Falling Ashes sounds like Radiohead and it's fucking awesome.

This album keeps getting better for me.

smoledman and trevorshmevor like this.
  25. smoledman

People have said it's similar to Daydreaming.