Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind (August 9, 2019) Album • Page 13

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, May 16, 2019.

1. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

WANYK got the UK number 1 album spot this week, knocking Ed Sheeran off the top spot.

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

what a time to be alive

3. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

4. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

glad they realize how special “A Liar’s Funeral” is

can’t even imagine it without the piano tbh

Rowan5215 likes this.
  5. dlemert

Trusted

I'm not really a Slipknot fan and have never heard an entire album but Spiders absolutely rules.

6. tomtom94

Trusted

It's a vibe thing. For me, Not Long For This World sounds bigger, more like a conclusion; I would have swapped the two but that may just be a personal thing. Solway Firth feels to me like it's supposed to have an epilogue. This is part of what I mean when I say Gray Chapter feels better structured as an album (If Rain is What You Want follows on perfectly from Negative One and clearly ends the album) even if overall WAYNK definitely has the stronger songs.

Cameron likes this.
  7. angrycandy

“Not Long for This World” is just so fucking gorgeous

8. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

lol my biggest problem with the gray chapter is its sequencing, record is exhausting to get through and is real soft in the middle

Contender and Drew Beringer like this.
  9. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"solway firth" is just a big fuckin victory lap that also restates the themes of the record, it makes you want to start the album all over again

10. dotKev

@dotkevin

+1 for Not Long For This World. Might be a top-5 Slipknot song for me.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  11. Bane

The spiciest meme

Yea having properly gone through this a second time with good speakers, very very happy. And Solway Firth is absolutely a fantastic way to end the album, good on them for making it the closer.

dotKev likes this.
  12. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

there's some cool stuff sequencing-wise on Gray Chapter, like "Goodbye" into "Nomadic" is super sweet for example, but yeah that album is absolutely a slog overall. WANYK feels like their shortest album even though it isn't

dotKev likes this.
  13. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Never thought an album released two-decades in would be a gateway album for me, but WANYK has done that for me - right from the Kimmel performance to pretty much playing this on repeat all week. Was never a fan of Slipknot, but I am now.

Spiders is a real grower - kind of reminds me of RX Bandits and Brand New a bit.

Strange music week for me too, since I’ve bounced between WANYK and the new Clairo - couldn’t be any more different, but both have that “I want to start it all over again!” as soon as I reach the last track.

14. dotKev

@dotkevin

I know it's been said about 1000x already, but Solway Firth *still* goes hard as fuck.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  15. angrycandy

Ronald McDonald thinks “Birth of the Cruel” sounds like a Korn song :crylaugh:

wut

16. Rowan5215

yeah starting to think this is their best album now, lmao. I used to stan hard for Vol. 3, still think it's a fantastic move into accessibility that maintained experimentation, but the mastering and some of Corey's harshes and some of the tracklist drags that one down. I can't really think of anything at all I'd change about WANYK (except give us all those b-sides, pls Clown)

also I've listened to more Slipknot over the past week than I have in 10+ years, it's crazy how revitalised they feel now

17. angrycandy

ok

so after many many listens...

this is my top five, without question:

1. Not Long for This World
    2. A Liar's Funeral
    3. Solway Firth
    4. Spiders
    5. Nero Forte

dotKev and Rowan5215 like this.
  18. Bane

The spiciest meme

Only thing about this I would nitpick really is I prefer Corey's more savage, guttural vocals ala Iowa and that's partly what makes that album my favorite but it's also been 18 years since that album and he still sounds great here so that's really just a silly nitpick on my part

19. Rowan5215

I'd say we're pretty close on this, lol. just gonna rank em all cos fuck it that's where I am:

A Liar's Funeral
    Orphan
    Solway Firth
    What's Next/Spiders
    Not Long For This World
    Insert Coin/Unsainted
    My Pain
    Red Flag
    Nero Forte
    Critical Darling
    Birth of the Cruel
    (Death Because of Death I guess)

angrycandy likes this.
  20. TomG

Trusted Supporter

The sign of a good album when there are lots of different opinions on best songs. This one has dominated my listening for the last week

21. brad4846

Regular

i agree with this. love both songs tho

22. JM95

Trusted

Every time I listen I pick up a different performance. Currently it's the vocals. 45 years old and Corey's killing it more than he has for fifteen years.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The sludgy-ness of Spiders gives me QOTSA vibes, and I love it. They really did a great job with this

24. Bane

The spiciest meme

Sorry I just reread this

Nani the fuck

angrycandy likes this.
  25. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

spiders sounds like a dear hunter song from the black color spectrum ep