Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Slint Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jul 11, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

spiderland one of the most important records of the 90s, incredibly influential for post-hardcore, post-rock, and math rock.

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Spiderland is one of the best albums of the 90s and it's amazing.

3. cwhit

thanks for the post

4. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

anything for you bud

Nosferatu Man though

5. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Spiderland is one of the most important records of my life.

cwhit likes this.
  6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Is the album before Spiderland something I should delve into or should I just go into Spiderland blind?

7. cwhit

spiderland definitely

8. Horrorca

Trusted

nothing really sounds like Slint - sick album

a dark album created under a dark context

clouded mind album if there ever was one

9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm on track four of six, and literally every band even tangentially playing "mood" guitar music in indie/punk is trying to be Slint at least a little bit? It is simultaneously familiar and kind of disconcertingly sinister. Which is dope I'm gonna listen to this again tomorrow.
    Edit: I'm especially digging how even though the rhythms are vaguely off kilter, they're not jarring in the way that math rock bands sometimes do now so that you know they are a math rock band. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Which isn't a dig, it's just interesting way to hear that sort of thing, a byproduct of how slowed the fuck down everything is until it's not

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I can't believe that was just six tracks. Jesus

11. Horrorca

Trusted

I totally agree

any and all bands doing something remotely similar to this bear the signs of Slint

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think I can give Fugazi a pass because they were basically doing their thing at the same time, but that might be it

13. Horrorca

Trusted

no one sounds like Fugazi

they're unlike anything/everything

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Fugazi was good at mood music too, and Slint is pretty close imo. In the same way that I can comfortably call Dinosaur Jr. and Built to Spill close, even though you can easily tell them apart. Similar aesthetic behind them, executed uniquely.

15. Horrorca

Trusted

that's kind of wild of you to say

but

ok

I'll bite - I respect that opinion

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  16. Horrorca

Trusted

I'll Bedhead and Codeine to yr list

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Haha, I honestly don't think this is a baseless opinion. Slint is like the build up of tension part of Fugazi's sound, but darker and never reaches explosive. Their pay off doesn't always arrive in the way you want it to. Neither does Fugazi, but they had a longer time span to fall on the side of explosive more often.
    Adding this to my list, thanks