Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sleigh Bells - Jessica Rabbit (November 11, 2016) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Aug 24, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Album's out there

2. irthesteve

Why is no one else talking about this, the album is awesome

3. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Haven't listened yet

4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

It IS awesome. There's a couple tracks I'd cut, but really great overall.

5. irthesteve

I think they did a really good job of making a different album while still sounding like themselves

6. irthesteve

"I Just Can't Stand You Anymore" is such a fuckin jam

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  7. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I've never been into them, but this is really good. "Lightning Turns Sawdust Gold" is a highlight on first listen.

Also, this is on NPR.

8. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Some of these, like "I Can Only Stare", remind me a lot of Lady Gaga

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Listening to this just makes me want to go back to the first albums.

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Shame it seems like no one cares anymore, because this is their best album.

They're one of the most prominent victims I can think of when it comes to the way we consume music now. They had one album with a cool gimmick. Stumbled trying to figure out how to turn a gimmick into a band. And by the time they righted the ship on the next one and took a great step forward with this one, nobody was covering them anymore.

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

how was the first record a cool gimmick?

12. cshadows2887

Don't be like this.

They had a unique and distinct sound.

13. cwhit

What am I being like? I'm genuinely curious what you consider a "gimmick" about the first record.
    This is like the people in the shitty thread who think yellowcard having violins is a "gimmick". The word is a negative connotation about something they're doing, and I don't see anything about the first record that way

14. cshadows2887

Literally just meaning they were a one trick pony. They had one cool, innovative sound and they did it well and with little variation. And blogs and music writers ate up that gimmick, but allotted them no room to grow. As soon as the second record flopped, they were an afterthought. Which is a shame, because they've really figured it out.

15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

the last record was abysmal. reign of terror was at least okay. the only thing they're a victim of is not being able to live up to their original potential.

16. cshadows2887

I thought Bitter Rival was solid, myself. They figured out a sustainable sound, which they finally got right on this one

17. irthesteve

Yeah Bitter Rivals was a step up from Reign of Terror in my eyes, it was reminiscent of the first album yeah, but I thought the songs were killer.

18. onemilemore

Interesting conversation here. I am digging Jessica Rabbit a lot, as it seems to draw on elements of all of Sleigh Bells' prior efforts: the frenetic production and big beats of Treats are there; the heavy guitar riffage of Reign of Terror drives a lot of these tracks; and Alexis' vocal performances that she started to stretch out on Bitter Rivals go even further on this one. I could stand for them resequencing JR a little bit, as I feel the couple of slower tracks kind of take out the steam where they are currently placed, but on the whole I would say Sleigh Bells have finally found their sound.

19. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

There's a few places where I love the tracking. "Loyal For" into "I Can Only Stare" works very well, and I really like "Torn Clean" as track #2 between those two huge songs on either side of it

20. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

21. cwhit

22. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

don't really mind scores as much as that all the reviews basically amount to "i don't like this kind of music anymore" in a lot more words

23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

"I Just Can't Stand You Anymore" so gooooooooooooood.

24. sawhney[rusted]2 Nov 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 8, 2016)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I'm listening to the stream without individual tracks, but if "I Just Can't Stand You Anymore" is the one I think it is, wooooooooohooooooo yeah its a banger

EDIT: It was Crucible, but both are really awesome!

irthesteve likes this.
  25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this album is amazing and the pfork review is nonsense