Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Slaves Announce Band Name Change

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The American band Slaves have, finally, announced they’ll change their name. After their new album comes out.

As individuals, as well as a collective, we hold certain virtues close to our hearts — honesty and transparency with our fans being some of the most important.

Early on in the process of writing and recording the new album To Better Days, we discussed what this new iteration of our band should sound like, what it should look like, as well as what it should be called. We decided then, this would be our last release under the name ‘Slaves’.

The name ‘Slaves’ was conceived as a reference to the band’s battle with substance abuse in the past, to the idea that we become enslaved by our addictions and by our own demons. our goal has always been to tackle these difficult subjects head on, as well as to build a community and share stories of hope to let others know that their inner demons can be defeated. However, this definition of the name neglects to take ownership of its racial connotations. As obstinate supporters of the BLM movement, we cannot continue to tie our music and our positive message to a word associated with such negative weight and hurt.

To Better Days will represent the closing of one chapter and the beginning of another for the band. This is something we have been planning for a while and are excited to start unveiling new music, new name, later this year.

We are thankful to our fans that continue to stick by us and we look forward to sharing this new era with you moving forward.

With love and gratitude, Colin, Felipe, Matt, Weston, Zack

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

weird that everyone involved with this band thought that name was a good idea in the first place

3. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Maybe they should get a career change, same morons who let Jonny Craig get yet another chance. Trash.

4. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Unsurprisingly, I don’t think anyone in the band now was in the band when the name was selected. Not to mention it’s a horrible name, it’s the same name as a decently known UK band.

5. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

The bands new singles have been leaps better than the material with Jonny. I suspect they kept the name as it already had a following. As much as I respect them changing their name after reflection, I just can't kept help but think how this will affect them after releasing their latest album.

6. That took for fucking ever.

7. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

i was wondering about them, will be interesting to see if they do the same thing