Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Slam Dunk Festival 2019 Festival • Page 4

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by abear182, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Iain

Regular

Just bought tickets (a bit last minute!)

Also said they have never played festival before.

DeRRek likes this.
  2. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I'd guess BMTH

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  3. DeRRek

Trusted

Unfortunately. It’s looking like it’s busted. They have been liking a lot of slam dunk related posts recently. Would make sense. Bmth, adtr, blink would all be great and make sense. Blink playing enema in full for its 20 year anniversary would’ve been insane. Wasted on a smaller stage though. Same for adtr if they were playing homesick 10 year anniversary haha. We can dream but can only see it being busted now.

4. DeRRek

Trusted

So who’s all going to slam dunk on here then? Anyone going to Leeds? Looking forward to seeing the new venue up close. It actually looks like a decent setup going by the map. Stages all look pretty close.

5. Iain

Regular

Heading to Leeds. Driving down from Scotland in the morning (not sure how wise this idea is!). Looking forward to it as I bought tickets only on Sunday there. Might wear my Chorus FM tshirt!

Got tickets through my work to see Busted for other half, they were actually pretty good and funny live. Eddy Thrower on drums was phenomenal. If it is indeed them as the secret performers.

6. DeRRek

Trusted

Haha. I’m travelling down from Scotland as well. Have done for the last 2 years. Not driving though. Nice. Enjoy. Not sure I’ll see busted. They clash with a few bands I’m wanting to see. If it was adtr or blink I’d be there. No chance though

himynameisiain likes this.
  7. simonthebutler

Regular

I will be in Leeds, seeing Chas Palmer Williams warm up show in derby tomorrow night then driving to Leeds

DeRRek likes this.
  8. Windowsdown

So, this was really cool. The new Leeds site is awesome and the day would have been as well if it hadn't rained for four consecutive hours, but the bands I saw all killed it and the general vibe around the festival was great.

DeRRek likes this.
  9. simonthebutler

Regular

I loved the Leeds site, all the band's I saw killed it (bar one of the bombpops vocalists being insanely off key) and they all looked like they were having a lot of fun. We had to leave after new found glory due to the rain but had a great time none the less. Did anyone see NOFX? We had already left but they seemed to get a lot of negative reviews online.

10. Jake W

I didn't go in the end, but my sister went and said the queue at the bar took about an hour lol

11. simonthebutler

Regular

We queued for an hour at the vegan food place but our friend got and ate food from two other stands in that time

12. Windowsdown

This was not my experience at all, I never had to wait more than 1/2 minutes to get pints. And I got a lot of them. Getting food though, that was a nightmare because everyone's going at the same time.

DeRRek likes this.
  13. Jake W

Forgot to mention that she went South lol

DeRRek likes this.
  14. DeRRek

Trusted

I agree. Had a blast down at Leeds. My friends and I thought new venue was awesome and well organised. We never queued more than 2/3 mins either for drinks. Thought the stage setup was class. Especially the dickies/Marshall stages and impericon/jäger stage. Being able to watch a band on one stage then one in the next straight after was brilliant. All the bands I saw were great. Managed to even catch one or 2 songs of bands that clashed because the stages were so close. Who did you all see? Rain didn’t bother me too much because the only band I really saw in the rain was touché amoré and that was totally worth it. By the time we headed down for nofx the rain stopped. Haha.

15. Jake W

Seen a lot of people online saying South was badly organised. It's a shame because I really liked the old site

16. DeRRek

Trusted

Ah. That sucks. I couldn’t comment on south. I’ve never been, what bands were the highlights for people on here then and who did you all go see in the end? I saw William Ryan key, the plot in you, tiny moving parts, busted (decided last minute just to check them out) was packed as well haha, Silverstein, the Bronx, story of the year, touché amoré, Glassjaw and NoFx. I also managed to catch last 3 songs of the menzingers which included after the party so I was happy with that. Highlights were definitely GLASSJAW. Daryl sounded great and setlist was pretty much perfect. The Plot In You really impressed me live. Vocals were great. I love bmth but if you’re a fan of them and don’t like the plot in you I’d find that hard to believe. Having seen both live. I can assure you the only difference is Landon can actually sing great live haha. Tiny moving parts were great. Touché Amoré could arguably have been my favourite of the day. If not them they were a close 2nd to Glassjaw. Silverstein and The Story of The Year was a nice throwback and Shane’s vocals were really good, his screaming is so much better these days, and All in all Slam dunk was a win for me. The worry of the new venue was quickly wiped away. Will probably be going again next year too.

17. simonthebutler

Regular

We saw the first few songs of William Ryan key, then headed down to punk in drublic and saw bombpops (disappointing as the second vocalist was so off key and sounded really bad) anti flag (awesome, great energy) mad caddies (perfect mid afternoon festival band) interrupters (so fun, sounded great and had a huge crowd) then saw simple plan (who were simple plan lol, if you like the music they were a good fun time) neck deep (haven’t seen them since the hit the big time and they played a set full of the songs I like) less than jake (I lost faith in ska’s ability to bring the sunshine, band were on form and again played all the hits) and our day finished with new found glory who sounded as good as I have ever heard them and again the set was just hit after hit. So all in all only bombpops disappointed everybody else at least met expectations and most exceeded them.

DeRRek likes this.
  18. DeRRek

Trusted

That’s great. A few of my friends went to see a lot of the bands on punk and drublic stage. They said less than jake were good. I only saw NoFx on punk and drublic stage.

19. Iain

Regular

Sorry for this long post!

I went to Leeds and had a great time. So much so... probably would consider buying a ticket in advance of a lineup announcement.

The drive down and back same day from Scotland was fine. Cruise control in the car is great. I would do it again, but probably would try and book a cheapy hotel on the route back if possible. Car park was right next to the junction you had to pull off at and easy to get in and out from.

Arrived pretty much in time for Busted. Had to sacrifice William Ryan Keys so I could leave later in the morning. I think Busted went down well and were a laugh. Huge fan of their drummer Eddy Thrower. Caught a bit of Turnstile before then going to watch Tigers Jaw. I think TJ were my favourite set of the day, just love them man. Bit of Silverstein to then watch Simple Plan. Never really listened to them but really enjoyed their set actually. Caught some of The Bronx before going back to see Neck Deep. Then Glassjaw for a little bit, Justin Courtney Piere. then the Mensigners and back to JCP second set. I really enjoyed what i saw of the mensingers but thought JCP seemed like this could be last chance saloon seeing him here for a while. Managed to meet him and talk after his set, great guy! Finished day off with All Time Low. They were good but not the best i have seen of them to be fair.

I was really impressed by the festival location, layout, and sound. I would really have to nitpick to find any major flaw. I do have a few small things which could be improved though:
    • More bins for the car parks, the ones there were overflowing and just had rubbish chucked at them. The lower car park didn't have any at all.
    • The rain potentially highlighted a weakness for the festival if it was to substantially rain. It was fairly hilly between stages and could see that turning to a mudfest and being a mare. They also ran out of ponchos which isnt great - there was money to be had there.
    • The merch tent was a bit of painstaking process to get around, could be bigger next time?
    • The booklets were missing half the site map.
    • No phone signal for me (not sure that is really within their control). But ultimately meant some of the stage time changes they announced i didn't find out until after festival.

DeRRek likes this.
  20. DeRRek

Trusted

Nice. Glad you enjoyed it. I was at Silverstein, Glassjaw and the Bronx as well. All the bands I saw were amazing. Sounded great too. I also had no phone signal. Wasn’t a big deal because I was there to watch bands and drink. Haha. I think we are planning on going again next year too.