Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Skrillex and From First to Last Release “Make War” • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 15, 2017.

1. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Got into FFTL with Dear Diary and Sonny, but stayed for the better music that came without him. Either way I think it's cool he's back doing this when he clearly doesn't have to with the success he has.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Still have fond memories of this tour. It was the first BIG tour that I went to in HS and remember I went with several friends and my mom. Remember us counting down the days to see the show and FOB killing it. Out of my friends, I was the only one that liked FFTL or even knew about them and don't really remember their live set too much nor really knew who Borland was lol.

Thing I do remember which we thought was the most badass thing was when FOB brought their merch guy(?) out and he got thrown through a table on stage. Haha

3. sukottokairu

Regular

I think that Matt Good mixed this, not John Feldmann, from what I remember him saying on facebook.

4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Looking online, the reaction to this amongst people who used to be FFTL fans seems to be very positive. Suspect they could easily tour again or just do a handful of shows and sell them all out. If they came to the UK (they won't), I would probably go.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Lame but I could see if being an ego thing which is just dumb. Wes is a great musician.

6. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Put me in the camp that thinks this is cool. I dig that Sonny decided to do this (maybe more music too?) when he really didn't have to, and I think it's a cool throwback and pretty catchy.

Schooner likes this.
  7. Schooner

Trusted

I never listened to them in the day. While I won't be rushing out to buy it or see them. I actually didn't mind this song for what it is. Respect for Sonny for doing this when he didn't need to

8. Heron182

Regular

There's a whole album coming and tour too

9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Between his solo work as Skrillex and the Jack U stuff, he kinda has free reign to do what he wants on his schedule. He can at any point find a collab and do another Suicide Squad song like he did with Rick Ross, or Asap. Perhaps he realizes how childish their split was and wants to make it right by doing some new songs and a short run of shows. I could see that. He doesn't need to tour, so I could see some festivals and a few major cities. I have no clue what the other dudes are up to, but I'm sure they will drop whatever to run around a short bit with Sonny.

10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The best From First to Last album was Throne To the Wolves. I had a ton of fun with that one when it came out. Never listened much to the Sonny albums strangely, outside a couple of the big ones. I agree it's really cool he's doing this though. He definitely doesn't need to for the money or anything at all, so it's nice to see one of these reunions that is apparently for genuine reasons, not just to cash grab on nostaligia.

11. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

The Matt Good lead vocal albums are my favourite especially Throne to the Wolves

12. ale5875

Regular

Wes also wanted to stay in the band but they basically kicked him out.

13. gbuffers

England.

I actually REALLY like this. Sounds like a progression of the old FFTL... if that makes sense.

I'd love to hear a full album but I assume this is a one-off?

Awesome that Sonny did this.

14. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Correct

15. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Am I crazy or does this sound like The Used??? I can feel Feldy all over this track...

marceting likes this.
  16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Can definitely hear some Used. After several listens, the lyrics are bad but I love the music. Both verse and chorus are catchy as hell.

marceting likes this.
  17. ibanez966

This was the song that Sonny teased a while back as "bonus track", right? The guitar sounds familiar.

18. oneeightytwo

Regular

Apparently Travis is drumming on this song...?

It's alright, sounds like them. Most bands find it hard to replicate sounds they made over a decade ago.

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

How dumb of them. Not surprised though, the band supposedly were being ego centric during the Heroine era. Like remember how they rented two buses for their Warped Tour stint in 06' and Lyman was even like wtf.

They definitely got a taste of humble pie though after Sonny left and they had to start again.

20. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

According to their IG, Derek Bloom is back.

21. ale5875

Regular

Yeah, but apparently they didn't learn their lesson considering the way they let Spencer go. :crylaugh:

22. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Damn so they dropped him in a shit way I'm assuming? Has he said anything on the matter?

23. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Could do without some of the lyrics but this is super catchy. Cool these guys came together again, hopefully there's more music to come.

24. PDPOUTCAST Jan 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 17, 2017)
    PDPOUTCAST

Glad that the DD/Heroine line up is back. I'm personally a fan of each vocalist from each era since they all brought their own unique takes for each record. With that being stated, their lyrics have never been their strong suit but the instrumentation has always been top notch IMO. Also, I'm not sure how many people have heard that Ian Hates podcast episode where Matt cleared up a bunch of misconceptions throughout the band's history, including what happened to Spencer. He basically said that Spencer left on good terms due to the fact that his full time commitment is Periphery and that they still talk/would be open to collaborating again in the future. Here's the link to the podcast: Ian Hates Music #37 (Matt Good - From First To Last)

25. Throne to the Wolves is far and away their best record (I cannot get through Heroine at all) and this song is really just a fun, silly song with satirical lyrics as usual from Sonny. That being said, I'd love to see a resurgence in this band and a record from Sonny, considering the record with Spencer was a complete dud and Matt has said that he doesn't want to front the band, which is a damn shame but understandable due to all the hate they got when he was fronting them. I'm excited just to see this happen, is the pop version of emo going to be sort of mainstream again?

mattfreaksmeout likes this.