Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Skincare/Hair/Make-Up/Beauty Thread • Page 98

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I've been trying really hard not to buy a product until I'm out and need to replace it and it's so hard. And also not buy the latest viral products. Inevitably several months pass and I rarely hear anyone talk about them again. The products I'm trying to finish up now are already being labeled "not worth it" and "de-influencing" when they were the viral products a year ago lmao. I have to remind myself that products cycle and to stick with what works for me or what I see consistently recommended over a long period of time. Kinda posting this to remind myself lol. Consumerism, man

Orla and Nick like this.
  2. emt0853

Trusted Supporter

That reminds me, I have a Sephora box up at the post office. I have a TERRIBLE habit of not finishing products and moving on.

3. marissalg

Trusted

I was convinced by tiktok to buy the makeup by Mario foundation and it looks gorgeous when it’s applied but wow it looks awful even a few hours into my day. I’m gonna try a different primer but so far really disappointed.

4. Carmen SD

Trusted

Guilty of buying stuff when I’m not out. My products are usually Korean or Japanese brands that most people probably haven’t heard of. But let’s just say I have enough face wash and toner to last me at least until the end of the calendar year.

5. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Anyone have a pre-shave face scrub they like that isn’t too pricey? I’ve been using Kiehl’s but I don’t want to keep spending the money for it.

6. Kiana

Kind of obsessed with the Vacation Classic sunscreen spray as a body sunscreen. I know spray prob isn't as good as sunscreen lotion but I don't always have someone to get my back and I'd rather at least attempt to reach it than not at all! Anyway, it smells so good. I like the smell of regular sunscreen but I wear sunscreen daily and don't always want to smell like typical sunscreen because I don't want that to be a conversation starter with ppl lol. Instead I just smell like a subtle coconut tropical dream vacation :nails:

skogsraet likes this.
  7. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Any good sunscreen should be spf 30 or higher and have zinc in there. My go to brand is blue lizard.

Kiana likes this.
  8. Carmen SD

Trusted

People laugh at me when I ask them if they wore their sunscreen

9. Kiana

People think it's weird I use it year round. I use the elf whoa glow spf primer, the super goop unseen sunscreen/the trader joes dupe for it, and a tinted spf foundation. And the classic vacation spray spf 50 for my body. Plus i wear a hat if its super sunny and im outside longer than like 15 minutes. If I get a tan I see it as a personal failure tbh! I'm a lil extra.

Richter915 likes this.
  10. Carmen SD

Trusted

I like to try out different facial sunscreens until I can find my “holy grail”. I keep my abib sunstick in my purse and I wear a hat if I’m outside or driving. Trying to find one that doesn’t have white caste, greasy feel or thick feel.

11. Kiana

I always tell ppl where i live that oregon has a high rate of skin cancer because ppl don't think they need sunscreen when it's cloudy but u do!! My boyfriend hates the feeling of most things on his face and the supergoop/trader joes one is the only one he'll wear because it doesn't make him feel greasy or sticky and doesn't have a white cast. I've always heard Korean sunscreens are the best but honestly I haven't gone down that rabbit hole because I'm scared it'll turn my already existing extra-ness into obsession lmao

Orla likes this.
  12. emt0853

Trusted Supporter

My every day moisturizer is 45spf. And we’re about to go to Florida and I take 70spf Neutrogena with.

My kidney transplant is GREAT. The meds I have to take..come with some nasty risks like skin cancer, liver failure, it can be neurotoxic..

I’ll try and prevent what I can and wear the damn sunscreen haha.

Kiana and Orla like this.
  13. marissalg

Trusted

I started using a tizo tinted sunscreen and it’s been awesome. Evens out my skin tone and does cover some small blemishes, doesn’t break me out, and pretty sweat proof. I started using a vitamin a serum so I’ve been really careful with the sun since my skin is a little more sensitive.

14. Carmen SD

Trusted

We’re already nearly half way thru September, and I have to say I’ve been really good at not buying and hoarding skin care products I don’t need atm. I haven’t finished all my face washes I had accumulated. I anticipate I’ll finish all of the somewhere in the first 6mo of next year. Same goes with body soaps.

Kiana likes this.
  15. Kiana

That is amazing. I'm trying sooo hard and getting better. I've been decent with skincare lately but have been sucking with makeup. I'm determined not to buy foundation until I've gone thru mine and it's so hard but I'm persevering!

16. kassie09

Regular

I'm trying to be better about this too. My esthetician said on average, most people that have any interest in skin care have about $600 in partially used skincare sitting around their house. That was definitely me at one point. I get way too influenced by tiktok and at one point had a ridiculous skincare routine. I swear I don't even know what half of the products were supposed to be doing for me.

17. Carmen SD

Trusted

Part of it is also clutter for me. I’m trying to de clutter some stuff. My goal is to find a “holy grail” of different items (face wash, toner etc) that I’ll stick with. Which is part of the reason why I started to hoard, but then I don’t like to be wasteful so i feel the need to use it. A couple of my face washes I got for free from a patient that is a manager at some company that sells mainly hair products. They sell face wash too and I love the face wash because it’s so gentle, and a little goes a long way so it lasts me. They gifted my office products last year and I took the face wash lol.

18. Kiana

I got retinol too close to my mouth and one corner of my lips is really dry and hurts and is taking forever to heal

19. emt0853

Trusted Supporter

I got an RX for retinol because I still deal with adult acne but I’m reallyyyy happy with the overall results. I definitely see a difference in the wrinkles I have on my forehead. Thank you transplant center forcing me to see a Dermatologist every year. Did his check and was like anything else you wanna address? YES PLEASE.

20. Carmen SD

Trusted

My scalp has been extra dry and itchy. It’s embarrassing because it’s also flaky due to the dryness. Anyone have tips. Besides head and shoulders (tried it before and it made things worse and my hair feel gross. Selsun blue is too expensive )

21. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I do an apple cider vinegar rinse when the weather starts getting cold. It definitely helps with the itchiness and dryness and my hair feels amazing after. Doesn’t smell amazing but fortunately the smell does not linger once you rinse it out. I live in New England so it gets extremely dry in the winters, and if I don’t do an ACV rinse every 2-3 weeks, my scalp gets so dry it causes dandruff.

Carmen SD likes this.
  22. Carmen SD

Trusted

My inglot gel eyeliner came in the other day and I need to buy an eyeliner brush. I thought I had one but I guess I don’t. So that means I have to to go ulta

23. Kiana

I have a ridiculous amount of lipsticks and use the same few shades. I just re-upped on my favorites and now I'm banning myself from buying anymore unless it's to replace a favorite so I can start working through them. Dang sunken cost fallacy. I mean I already own the ones I do so might as well use them as long as they're good but I rly need to stop having fomo with makeup products.

24. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I’ve gotten hardcore into pan culture so I’m trying to use up all of my products. I have some lipsticks that just aren’t quite the right color so I may need to experiment with mixing and repotting them.

25. Kiana Mar 11, 2024
    (Last edited: Mar 11, 2024)
    Kiana

My fave liquid eyeliner stila is 50% off at ulta today and I didn't get it. Dear God this is is hard. But I have a gel pot liner that works perfectly fine that I need to use up first. It's not at the level of liquid liner but I need to use it so it doesn't expire. Day 1 of consuming less beauty stuff is already hard oop.

On a related note, I like peach & lily brand and got their cleanser in the ulta sale before I started my resolve to consume less. The 50% off made it about the same cost as my regular cleanser anyway. The reviews of course made it seem life changing and all their acne cleared up in like one day and blah blah and yeah it's nice and hasn't caused any breakouts so far but it's healing my pre-existing acne at about the same rate as my typical cleanser I'd say. I'd re-purchase at the sale price but idk about the full price

IM NO LONGER LISTENING TO PEOPLE WHO TALK ABOUT HOW LIFE CHANGING A PRODUCT IS BECAUSE IT LITERALLY NEVER IS

I may have to cave and buy the Mac paint pot in painterly when it comes up on the ulta sale tho oop but that is the only product of this sale I'm allowing myself to buy and I use it as an eye primer which I'm almost out of so I'm counting it as a refill.

Edit: also posting in here to hold myself accountable to not purchase the exfolikate kate Somerville treatment when it comes up on the sale because I already have a physical exfoliant that is perfectly good and when I run out of it I need to just use a washcloth or something gentle for physical exfoliating anyway. Normalize not needing a product for absolutely everything