Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Skincare/Hair/Make-Up/Beauty Thread • Page 93

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 9, 2016.

1. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Omg I hope it doesn’t take a year. Ugh I’m always the somehow outlier in data. I switched from pill to iud and they’re like after 6 months most women don’t have a period and I’m like bitch WHERE. My acne is terrifying and it all connected to hormones

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yeah it was brutal. I was on that bc for so long that I guess I figured I'd "grown out" of my acne. Ha! It was a wreck and my self esteem crashed. Acne is so hard when it's hormonal because yeah you literally can't do anything about it. Hope you adjust soon :heart:

thesoftskeleton likes this.
  3. Jams

Trusted

Have any of y'all used one of those companies that will let you get birth control online? My doctor won't give me a refill unless I go in and I'm obviously nervous about going in right now. She won't let me do a video call or anything (heaven forbid I go a single year without a Pap test :redanger:) She gave me another month so I won't run out but I was thinking of canceling the appointment and going the online route but wanted to see if anyone has done it before and if it went alright? Idk if my insurance will cover it or not but seems like it'd be better rn than going into the office.

4. Renee

dry clean only Prestigious

Has anyone used Overtone, specifically the formula for brown hair?
    Or something similar?

supernovagirl likes this.
  5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I haven’t used it and I don’t know a ton about the brown hair formula specifically but I can say that Overtone is pretty much known to be one of the best options :)

Renee likes this.
  6. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Got this Grown Alchemist Hydra Day Cream that is very nice, doesn't have any sun protection in it though which kind of sucks.

7. marissalg

Trusted

Been using this moisturizer with SPF and I absolutely love it. It really helps me keep my t-zone under control
    EB575A41-F929-41C0-ADFA-FC315EADCB89.jpeg

8. Kiana

I'm a big fan of the conditioner dyes. I've never used overtone but I've used clenditoner. It's def subtle in my dark brown hair but it's how I want it. My hairdresser is always amazed how freshly dyed my hair looks between appts. I'd def try overtone.

9. Renee

birchbox has a bunch of my fave products on sale. it hurts. bye money:verysad:

i keep seeing the clenditoner on amazon, and since i have a gift card that's usually my first stop. does it stay in your hair well? i don't want to be transferring onto fabrics. i want it to end up dark teal and the clenditioner already has a teal, but it's kinda light so i'm not sure how much it will show on my hair. ugh i'm probably going to have to lighten my hair just a little bit to get what i want, otherwise it'll probably just make everything look darker, or nothing at all. i was going to get the overtone blue and green and mix them, but getting 2 is a loooot more money compared to the other brand. i guess i'll just have to buy something and give it a try! probably the overtone, i just think mixing those colors would be so pretty.

10. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Overtone has a teal too tho!

11. Renee

I honestly didnt even look at anything other than the brown hair stuff bc I didnt want to lighten it, and while it'd be cheaper it's not quite the color I want. A little too blue. It can never be that easy

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. Kiana

I've never had issues with clenditoner transferring onto fabrics or like rinsing out in the shower. I don't think it's strong enough for that. However, I was previously using the rose gold shade and now I'm using the purple, and I notice the purple is def a bit more messy and stains my hands a bit. It comes off with my makeup remover balm, but it's kinda annoying. It's not as vibrant as I see the overtone ads look. So if you want a vibrant teal the clenditoner probably won't do it. It's more like a color depositing conditioner for in between when you'd dye your hair teal. I have my ends a little lightened. Not super bleached tho cause my hair is rly dark. I def see the color there more than the rest. It also shows up with more frequent washes. With the rose gold I'd use it just for a subtle gold coppery color. My hair is waaaay too dark for rose gold to actually show up without some srs bleaching. But after two washes with the purple I can see it. But again it's not like PURPLE.

Renee likes this.
  13. Uh, only took me 4 years but here we go, finally placed my makeup order. Been binge watching a few beauty youtubers, and getting into skincare at the same time. I would love to settle into a solid routine, which is something that I'm struggling with lately. Perhaps it'll be something to look forward to each morning and evening. Luckily, I don't suffer from acne when it comes to my face (except when I drink alcohol or eat snacks which are things I've cut down), but I do tend to have my skin breakout on my shoulders and my back and I don't really know how to fix that yet. As for my hair, ugh, it's a mess and I'll get into it later.

Kiana likes this.
  14. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I've used The Ordindary's salicylic acid as a spot treatment before and had great results, but last night I put a drop on a pimple I have on my cheek, and not only is the pimple still big bright and shiny, but it now has a sort of blistery ring around it like I've burned myself? it's so ouchy

15. Kiana

One of my cheeks is so broken out and won't clear up. Usually my acne at least heals and fades eventually but this cheek has been so stubborn for weeks. I'm insecure and can't wear bronzer or blush. I've checked all the usual suspects, it's not the side of my face I talk on the phone with, etc etc. It's being so stubborn and difficult!!

16. Renee

my blue and green overtone arrived this week! I was hoping to do a test strand today to see if i even need the bleach that's arriving tomorrow, but the blue is capped so tightly I haven't been able to get it open yet. :thumbup:

supernovagirl and Kiana like this.
  17. Renee

are you using "body" washes/soaps on your back and shoulders? have you tried using any face/acne/breakout products on those areas instead?

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  18. Renee

So my hair is darker (or healthier?)than I thought and I don't even think the test spot held any color. Thankfully the bowls and brushes I originally forgot to order, arrived early today. This is going to be a fun sweaty day with no ac in the bathroom!

19. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

The below is from r/skincare addiction. I'm not trying to tell y'all how to think/shop/care but just to be informed

[PSA] Skincare Companies who Support Trump's Campaigns (and therefore might want to avoid!)

**This is my second attempt posting this.** I don't understand why it was taken down in the first place, but I find it discouraging if the r/SkincareAddiction mods decided to take this down for further review because it was too political - especially since they just made a [post](Black Lives Matter. : SkincareAddiction) supporting BLM. If this is taken down again, I would say it's a sign that their support is just surface level.

Ultimately, it's important to not only support businesses that are founded by unrepresented communities but also to NOT support businesses who are funding and supporting the current administration. I hope this post doesn't get silenced again.

**EDIT: Turns out it was an automatic removal due to a number of reports. Thank you mods for approving this!**

**Original Post:**

In light of the posts of supporting black-owned businesses, I thought it might be worth mentioning some skincare companies that you might want to avoid since they support Trump's campaign in some way. Most of this info comes from the #GrabYourWallet campaign that went around last year.

**Estee Lauder Companies:**

* Estee Lauder
    * Clinique
    * Dr Jart+
    * Glam Glow
    * La Mer
    * Origins
    * Bumble and Bumble
    * Aveda

Ron Lauder (son to Estee Lauder and heir to Estee Lauder Companies) actively donates to Trump's campaigns ([Records](Browse Individual contributions - FEC.gov)).

**LVMH:**

* Sephora
    * Benefit
    * Fresh

LVMH chief executive Bernard Arnault is said to have close ties with Trump and his family. Some examples include him being a guest at Trump's first state dinner and being one of the first CEOs in talks with Trump after his inauguration in 2017 ([Source](An anti-Trump movement is calling for the boycott of these retailers)).

**Revlon:**

* Revlon
    * Elizabeth Arden
    * Almay

Ronald Perelman is [Chairman of the Board](Ronald Perelman | Board Member | Revlon, Inc.) of Revlon and [donated](Here Are The Billionaires Backing Donald Trump’s Campaign) to Trump Victory. He's also [speculated](Behind Donald Trump, a son-in-law who is also an adviser) to have ties with Kushner.

This definitely isn't a complete list, but I thought this might be a good place to start. I'm not demanding anyone to completely change their skincare routine if something from one of these companies is your HG, but I would ask you to be more aware of where your money is going and how it might be impacting others. #BLM

If anyone knows of any other companies that might fit in this list, please mention them in the comments!

**EDIT:** This doesn't really go under supporting Trump, but another conglomerate that might be worth scrutinizing is L'Oreal. Model and activist Munroe Bergdorf says that L'Oreal dropped her from a campaign for being vocal against racism: [https://www.teenvogue.com/story/mun...roe-bergdorf-loreal-paris-black-lives-matter)

**L'Oreal**

* Vichy
    * La Roche-Posay
    * Skinceuticals
    * CeraVe
    * AcneFree

**One final edit:** As some people have mentioned, this isn't a perfect list. Of course not, there are so many companies out there and there are so many nuances in how companies and people donate to different causes. I thought it was obvious. If there's one thing I want people to get from this post is: **please do your own research and support companies that align with your own values if you can and/or if you want to. YOU CHOOSE.** This has been touched upon multiple times with topics such as veganism, animal-cruelty, environmentally friendliness, etc. in this subreddit. I'm just adding another component that people may not have thought about (from this post's responses, there's clearly a lot who haven't!).

I'm not the skincare police. If you're so distraught that a HG is in this list, I have to say that you just need to let it go or switch to something else. No one is going to hurt you for using CeraVe. This kind of dilemma is not just in skincare, but also in any other purchases in your life. Be mindful and aware, but don't overdo it or it's just going to drive you nuts. Love this subreddit and all it does in helping each other get clearer and healthier skin. Thanks everyone!

20. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I'm doing the original aha/bha peel on my wife today aka the blood peel. I'm excited!!

21. I've used various shower gels over the years. Sometimes I wonder if there's a certain ingredient that doesn't do any good to my body, so I've been considering switching for bar soaps. I know nothing about these so I don't know if I'm making a wise decision.

I haven't used any products on those areas yet, but I'll keep this suggestion in mind! I'm seeing a dermatologist next week, well not for that purpose at first, but I'll ask him about those issues as well. Thanks for the help!

22. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Update

The peel went great. I highly recommend it. My wife was saying how soft her face felt the next day. a lot of videos online show girls like globbing it on, I think that's unnecessary and just wastes product. I used about a dropper full on a cotton swab for each half of the face. Left it on for ten minutes. Then we neutralized it and followed with thorough rinsing of the face and then a relatively thick moisturizer after.

For everyone's info - aha will primarily work for blemishes and skin discoloration. Bha works good for acne.

23. Carmen SD

Trusted

Did the price for Ipsy double? I’ve never used it because I had so much makeup already but wanted to try it.

I hate my skin/complexion. I feel like it always looks “dirty”. No matter how I do my makeup I always feel ugly. I have baby face syndrome and can’t even do makeup to make myself look my age. I also hate how I feel like I’m getting more hairs on my face and it looks like I’m growing a beard and it just triggers trauma from bullying in the past. Makes me so insecure. I don’t know what to do. Can’t get my normal wax because everything’s been closed. I feel lost.

24. Kiana

Have you used one of those eyebrow shapers for the hair on your face? I rly liked the results on me

25. marissalg

Trusted

^^ eyebrow shapers have been great to get rid of unwanted facial hair and also get rid of some dead skin.