Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Skincare/Hair/Make-Up/Beauty Thread • Page 87

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Ooh thanks for the info. I may look into kybella or just do a consult to see. I do have downward lips too. Maybe that's part of my resting cry face lol everyone always thinks I'm sad.

2. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Lol so dramatic.

GrantCloud likes this.
  3. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Hahah ok I’ll try
    Honestly it’s a mystery. And I’ve done very little because I’m useless and also poor and since I don’t know what I’m doing I don’t want to spend the money unless i trust the recommendation lol

But yeah my skins a straight up mystery lol
    Like when it’s calm it looks pretty good not a ton of redness
    But if I scratch my cheeks (or irritate them moldy basically) the same red bumps appear (not pimples or anything) so idk
    Sometimes it’s more prominent and others you can’t tell.

Richter915 likes this.
  4. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

haha yes "resting cry face" is actually the technical term...not really lol

For downturned lips like...4 units of botox on each side should bring it back up. Just don't go overboard or else you end up looking like the joker.

Kiana and supernovagirl like this.
  5. Kiana

Lol it's funny that u quote this now because I'm once again convinced I have skin cancer and have been meaning to get a referral to a dermatologist haha. I have so many moles that I can't keep track of so I constantly think I'm dying.

6. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

haha yes "resting cry face" is actually the technical term...not really lol

For downturned lips like...4 units of botox on each side should bring it back up. Just don't go overboard or else you end up looking like the joker.

7. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

It's never a bad idea to get skin checks. Especially useful for checking moles you can't routinely see. Just remember the ABCDE rules for moles

Asymmetry
    Borders (jagged or irregular)/bleeding
    Colors (multiple colors or jet black)
    Diameter (more than 6mm, the size of a pencil eraser)
    Evolution - this is the most important, if you notice any of the above changes over a six month period, get it checked.

Also a family history of abnormal moles or melanoma. If you have a mom/dad/sister/brother/child who ever had melanoma you should be screened annually by a dermatologist.

Kiana likes this.
  8. Kiana

Omg see this is why I get paranoid because I can't keep track of the moles and I don't know if they change or if I'm just losing it lol. I have two on my back that I can't see so I'm probably dying there. One is on my stomach and I swear it's kind of a reddish brown and the borders look a lil blurryish and there's this raised part in the middle where I swear it used to be flat but maybe not. One other on my stomach is pretty dark.

Basically ever since I took biology in college I am convinced I am dying all the time from all the things.

9. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

How did the winter treat your eczema? What's your routine now?

10. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

@Richter915 Is there anything you recommend for ingrown hairs? The hair on my neck grows in all sorts of weird directions and I always get ingrown hairs unless I use an electric razor, but the electric razor doesn't do too great of a job removing all of the hair. I usually use this oil called shave secret, then shave soap, and shave with a double edge razor, but I still end with at least a couple ingrowns.

11. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Ingrown hairs are tricky! This especially true if you have naturally curly/kinky hair. Commonly seen in skin of color patients.

What is an ingrown hair: when beard hair grows out it tends to curl, how much it curls is genetically determined, if it curves too much it may not even make it out of the follicle and it will curl into the skin leading to a painful skin reaction. The shorter the hair, the more likely it is to curl in on itself.

So a simple solution is to just let the hair grow out. I recommend men grow beards or use an electric shaver. As you know, that works.

I think that using a razor of any sort (blade or straight) will cause a problem because the hair is cut so short. However, there are a few things you can try:
    Try using a shaving balm instead of shaving cream. The idea is it may irritate the skin less.
    Do not use aftershave. I actually recommend using a topical antibiotic lotion called clindamycin but it's not over the counter.
    A topical nightly retinoid. Most are prescription but you can get one over the counter called adapalene (Differin). this will keep your skin from getting flares. It works for acne.

If all of this does no good, I know some guys who have tried waxing and even laser. I don't advise laser because it will completely fry the hair follicle and you'll end up with this abnormal growth.

lostawholeyear likes this.
  12. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

Hey, I really appreciate the advice.

I would grow my neck hair out if it didn't look like shit haha. I'm talking about the hair that starts right above the adam's apple. The rest of my neck/face I use an electric razor with a guard, so I never get any irritation there, like you mentioned.

Funny that you mentioned retinoids- I've actually been using tretinoin on the rest of my face already for about a year. Can I put that on my neck too?

13. Kiana

Bless u @Richter915 for ur free skincare advice. If u ever end up involved in the child welfare system I will return the favor!!!

14. Unfortunately none of the shops in my area carry CeraVe and on amazon it is also expensive. Admittedly I have only been using 15 spf for the past months! But I also have the Nivea 50 spf cream and it's a matte formula so I don't feel gross while wearing it, I just haven't been using it year-round. It's not too expensive so I can afford to switch to using it all year. But I read once (I think a beauty thread on reddit) that Nivea uses a chemical that is actually not good for the skin? Is there any truth to this?

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

@Richter915 what are your favourites from the ordinary? also do you have any hot tips for dealing with blackheads?

Keri likes this.
  16. Richter915 Apr 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 16, 2019)
    Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

I've had patients go there for some of the hyaluronic acid products. They used to have kojic acid which works well for dyspigmentation. Some of their vitamin c serums are also pretty affordable.

edit: best for blackheads is a retinoid like tretinoin or something like adapalene.

17. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Anecdotally speaking I advise against Nivea products, so many of my patients get rashes and breakouts. I favor products from CeraVe, Cetaphil, Vaseline, and vanicream

18. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Yes! Absolutely go for it. Tretinoin is a wonder drug. The cosmetics people I work with say that all people should use a low dose of it nightly. Not only will it prevent breakouts, it prevents wrinkles, tightens skin, and evens out pigment.

lostawholeyear likes this.
  19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

So I bought a set of new bathroom towels, ever since I have noticed I am breaking out (noticed a blackhead and pimple earlier) Could the material of the towels be causing this? Otherwise does the change of season have any influence as well?

20. I did searches of all drug stores here for each of those brands and they aren't sold anywhere. The brand that is the closest equivalent to CeraVe doesn't have an spf moisturizer. So I'll have to stick with Nivea unless I find something else, but my skin has been fine with it for a year now. Biore watery essence was another highly reviewed product, but also not available where I am. Thanks for your advice in here!

21. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

Awesome. I'll give it a try. Thanks so much.

22. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

usually if it's something outside then it's more itchy, dont really break out. Could just be a mild breakout, doubt it's seasonal though.

23. Carmen SD

Trusted

Is using a facial toner beneficial? Or doesn't make much of a difference depending on the person skin? I'm trying to declutter all my makeup and skin care and I used up my toner, but not sure if it's worth it to buy more. I personally didn't see much of a difference/ felt like it didnt do anything for me

24. Kiana

If u don't notice a difference I wouldn't bother, or at least not with that specific toner. Before I used toner I had a lot of the acne that didn't come to a head so u couldn't pop it, it was just like clogged pores and skin colored bumps all up on my forehead but using toner made it vanish so I worship at the altar of toner lol

25. marissalg Apr 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 28, 2019)
    marissalg

Trusted

New lip stain from Bite is amazing. Super comfy and pigmented and although it transfers, it really does stain well. I hope they add more colors because I’ll definitely get more.

Update: it lasts so long!!! I went to a show and was so sweaty and got kicked in the face and it lasted through all that.

K0ta and Kiana like this.