Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Skincare/Hair/Make-Up/Beauty Thread • Page 8

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 9, 2016.

1. carina

yr royal highness

Baby Skin is my fave. Setting powder, I use NYX.

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I like Benefit's Porefessional for primer. idk what your definition of pricey is but Sephora often gives away free deluxe samples of it or Benefit will throw it in a giftset that ends up being a good deal. I use Urban Decay's All Nighter spray. I usually get the small cheaper travel sized version from Ulta since I don't go through it that often. I use MUFE HD powder for setting which is a tad on the pricey side but it's honestly lasted forever. I've had it for a long time and there's like not even a dent in the jar.

most of the stuff I use is expensive-ish but it honestly lasts waaaay longer than drugstore for me since I don't have to pile it on to get it to work right.

carina likes this.
  3. Kiana

I have a box filled with free samples from Sephora, Ulta, Lush, Paula's Choice, etc and I have been trying to use them more often or give away the ones I don't want, and I hate when try a sample, love it, and then I look it up and it's a zillion dollars. I love the GLAMGLOW Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment. It makes my skin so soft and it smells so relaxing and it reminds me of the beach. I've been using the Youthmud one too and I love it also and they're so expensive :-/

carina likes this.
  4. Threads

Regular Prestigious

I don't really have anything of value to post right now but I just wanted to express how glad I am this thread exists.

I've been wanting to try new things with my hair and skincare process but it's hard to get going when you've done nothing more than pretty much the base effort needed all your life. Hopefully I can learn some things in here.

5. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I'll tell you one thing..my skin looks so much better after just a week of changing my skincare routine.

6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Is apricot scrub good or bad?

JulieLynn likes this.
  7. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Personally, I have never had a good experience with it. I've tried cheap and expensive. It's too harsh. This exfoliater I use is the best I've ever used and it's kind of pricey but I will pay more for skincare products that keep my skin looking good.
    Aveda 'Tourmaline Charged' Exfoliating Cleanser | Nordstrom

EDIT: I put the wrong link.

8. Kiana

I've heard it's bad and too abrasive and that it creates little tears in the skin. I've also heard that things with microbeads are super bad for the environment so exfoliating products can be bad news in general and it's important to research them imo!

9. St. Nate

@Kiana @AelNire

I use St. Ives cause my sister used it and I still have some that my sister bought before she moved, so I use it.

I'm not really sure if it helps or hurts, but I don't think it hurts.

I guess I could try something new just because.

10. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

St. Ives is supposed to be the worst apricot scrub you can use lol I guess everyone's skin is different so if it works for you then go for it.

I think one of the craziest things, @Kiana will back me up, is to not wear sunscreen on your face. I wear it everyday.

Kiana likes this.
  11. St. Nate

Welp... I'll try something new then.

I never worried about sunscreen before, at least not at the beach. If my genetics are anything like my brother, which I assume it is, I have a very, very small chance of skin cancer.

God Bless my Melanin.

AelNire likes this.
  12. Kiana

I back you!! I wear it everyday. The only sucky thing is that I wear makeup and if I'm outside for long periods of time idk how to reapply without screwing up the makeup. I have a powder SPF but I've heard mixed things on if those actually work so I don't use it often. People think I wear sunscreen because I'm so pale and will burn, but I honestly don't burn at all and I do it for protection/shallow not wanting to age badly reasons.

In terms of exfoliants, I use a chemical exfoliater because they're supposed to get deeper than regular exfoliants but idk. I feel like skincare makes me nervous because trends and different theories will get really popular and then like a year later it'll come out that it doesn't work or is harmful so I try to find what works and stick with it.

AelNire likes this.
  13. Kiana

People with darker skin have less of a chance to get it, but when they do get it it's often not diagnosed until a later stage where it's more fatal. Be careful bb! And that just goes for everyone. Pay attention to your skin and if you notice any weirdness, go to the derm!

St. Nate likes this.
  14. Kiana

ok I'm done whining about skin cancer. Blame it on the biology class I took in college. It freaked me out lol.

Also, I did a face mask last night and it completely cleared everything up. Yay! I'm going to travel next week tho so I hope that doesn't wreak more havoc.

15. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Supporter

Ocean Salt by Lush is really good for your face, body and before shaving your legs. I use it on my face maybe once a week, but I use it on my legs 15 minutes before shaving. Game changer.

16. Kiana

I'm the worst. I nearly started crying because I owe so much for school + I prob have to buy a new car but I still bought NYX Matte Lip Cream in Copenhagen. but in my defense I have been wanting it forever and I would've gotten it eventually but still I'm the worst

17. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Anyone else have very curly hair and have suggestions on what styling products to use? I'm shopping for something that won't break me. Everything also seems to assume in the marketing that it's mostly for women, but I don't guess that really matters. My hair needs to look nice too

18. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Prefacing this post by saying that yes, I should've been wearing sunscreen. Skin cancer runs in my family and I know all the risks. I was in a situation for work where I didn't know I'd be outside and then was out in the sun for 7 hours and no one had any sunscreen with them. So yes, I'm aware of all the dangers of not wearing sunscreen and all that jazz, this was one of those situations that unfortunately was out of my control.
    So, anyways, the question: does anyone have any good lotions they like to use post-sunburn for their face?

19. St. Nate

I recommend anything aloe vera.

20. Meerkat

Yeah I know for sure I need something with aloe. I should probably just get an aloe plant. It'd help with a lot of the blisters/cuts I get as well.

21. St. Nate

yup! also good for snacking!

edit: pretty much i'm recommending getting a plant.

22. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I put watered down apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz myself. That's the best one I've ever tried and coming in at second is aloe vera that has been in the fridge for a while.

23. Meerkat

Do you also use this for when you do something you shouldn't do? :tongue:

ChaseTx and AelNire like this.
  24. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I bought John Frieda mousse. Hopefully it doesn't suck, but if it does it was only $5. So hard finding out what I should be using

25. Kiana

My old rm has curly hair and she swears by Deva Curl. If you ever feel like splurging, it's an option!

ChaseTx likes this.