Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Skincare/Hair/Make-Up/Beauty Thread • Page 75

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Meerkat, Mar 9, 2016.

1. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

ugh that sounds like a lot of work and money

2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

It's rly not. And it tends to get replaced at different times so i dont have to buy it all at once. Like the cerave stuff lasts forever. The acids and differin only needs a lil bit so it also lasts forever. The toner does too except my cotton balls suck so they're wasting it a bit. The only times i dont wanna is when I'm rly sick or something. Otherwise the feeling of taking care of my skin is usually enough incentive to wanna do it. Usually. Lol. It takes like five minutes.

lish likes this.
  3. supernovagirl

hmm.. idk ... lol. well, some skincare stuff is bogo 50% off at ulta that I saw in the ad so I'm gonna pick up a few things and see how it goes haha

I just don't know really what to get so it always puts me off.

also anyway I went to the mall yesterday on a mission to spend money (sometimes I partake in retail therapy, so sue me) and I went in sephora and bought NOTHING!*

To reward myself, I bought some Colourpop stuff today. Their liquid lippies are Buy 2 get 1 free so I got 3 of those, and then their newest palette and 2 duochrome liquid eyeshadows.
    $39 for all including shipping so definitely not bad.

* this is not to be confused with the idea that I spent nothing at the mall. I just spent no money at sephora, which is a small miracle.

Kiana likes this.
  4. Kiana

I don't blame u for not being enthusiastic about skincare! It has pretty much been trial and error since I started getting acne at 10 and I used soooo many ineffective products I could launch my own frustrated infommercial!

5. Yasqueen4

Trusted

Obvious thing but my hair and skin look the best when I'm eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and taking fish oil supplements!

6. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I'm coming back to this thread because I've been supplying myself as a test subject for my wife's clinical trials for her skincare education program. I've only had 2 facials so far, but they were magical. I fell asleep both times. She used that fancy electric thing that shocks you but gets out microfilaments or whatever fancy word she used. It actually worked! She also got her dermaplaning license, which I guess is some kind of pilot's license? Don't know how that relates to skincare, but whatevs. Versatile degree.

Anyways I guess I just ended up bragging about my wife.....carry on!

lish and supernovagirl like this.
  7. Kiana

I'm so jealous! I'd love to get one but they're pricey. My sister said her friend got one and his skin was super glowy and I'm super jealous.

theagentcoma likes this.
  8. supernovagirl

righttt I know that's how it is it's a very personal thing for everyone that's why I don't even wanna go down that road. but I also feel bad complaining because my skin has always been pretty good and it's only more recently that I've noticed the redness and occasional texture.

but that ain't ever gonna be my life sis so I just throw money at it instead

9. Yasqueen4

Trusted

I know :( it's so hard to keep up

10. Jams

Trusted

I was using this expensive acne stuff that someone gave me. Well I ran out and like I said...expensive!! So I didn’t buy anymore. Well now I’m breaking out the worst I’ve ever broke out in my life. Like my chin is basically a giant zit at this point bc I have so many pimples on it! Now I’m thinking of buying that Murad shit again next month with birthday money bc I haaaate this! I barely broke out at all while I was using it and I only need to use it on my chin so it lasted over 2 years. But so expensive ughhh

11. Yasqueen4

Trusted

I am finally finished with one of my bills that was $50 a month so decided I'm going to treat myself and get a Mani/Pedi and eyebrow wax every month. It should equal out to about $50 if I go to this cheaper place near me. Excited to start this routine next month!

12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

i'm currently trying to find cheaper dupes for all the stuff i use because i feel like i'm spending a lot of money on branding rather than results. i figured i'd post what i've found so far.

1) cerave hydrating cleanser is the closest thing i've found to the milky jelly cleanser
    2) essence make me brow is close to boy brow, but i will say i like the smaller and more precise brush that glossier has.
    3) trader joe's (lol i know) has a rose water toner water that is pretty much the same as lush's eau roma water.
    4) i occasionally use lush's grease lightening, but i think plain thayer's witch hazel would work pretty much the same.

the only thing i haven't been able to find a suitable replacement for is the glossier priming moisturizer, so if anyone has any suggestions i would be so hype.

also for skincare stuff, i had a super bad eczema flare up in october and wasn't able to wear makeup for like, two months after. since i switched over to a much less heavy makeup routine, i've had MUCH clearer skin and no problems with my eczema. i was mostly using ELF stuff but i think a lot of it may have been old/expired so if you have eczema, do pay attention to how long you've had stuff so you don't end up like me ;-;

marissalg and Kiana like this.
  13. Yasqueen4

Trusted

Can anyone recommend a more natural make up line that's not full of nasty chemicals? Thanks!

14. supernovagirl

I know it's really shitty to shell it all out upfront but 2 years is a really long time for something to last. Maybe there's a cheaper version of the same thing you could find but if not, then it might be worth it to just bite the bullet. I always do this and put it off and end up spending more unnecessary money and frustration/time because I didn't just buy the original expensive one lol

Jams and Kiana like this.
  15. Yasqueen4

Trusted

I bought cheek tint for $40 today because I'm a crazy person.

16. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

Yasqueen4 likes this.
  17. Carmen SD

Trusted

Some of those makeup product vids that show off new or current products are so funny sometimes how the “models” pose for it

lish likes this.
  18. supernovagirl

okaaay I dropped some cash at ulta today

I talked to the salesperson and just blindly trusted her but idfk

she talked me into getting the benefit smooth it off exfoliator and encouraged me to get the Ulta gel moisturizer that had hyaluronic acid in it.

so I guess I'm gonna try that lol. I also have a few more masks I picked up from Sallys too

lish likes this.
  19. Carmen SD

Trusted

What’s everyone’s opinion about costs for hair services? How much would YOU pay for a cut, all over color, highlight, etc? At “high end” salons, do you think they charge a reasonable price (whether or not you’d actually pay that amount for the service)

I’ve seen prices for hair cuts start as low as $50, which I think is a little ridiculous and hair color start at close to $200 (since it starts at that price I assume that’s for short hair)

20. lish

I pay ~$75 with tip for my cut and color. I do a single color, though. And my stylist is only a couple of years in, but she's hella talented.

The first cut I got here in MN was $125 at an Aveda salon. It. Was. Just. A. Cut.

21. Mayra

I pay $45 not including tip for haircuts at the salon I go to now, but used to pay anywhere from $80 to $100 at the salons my old hairdresser used to work at. I wouldn't pay that much again but he was the only person to ever understand "cut just an inch". I can't comment on hair color cause my hair is bleached platinum from black so it's cost me more than I'd ever care to admit, but from friends I've heard in the $200 range.

22. Jams

Trusted

I just got my hair cut today and feel beyond blessed to have the stylist I do. Sweetest woman, has been a stylist for like 30+ years, and is beyond cheap. My cut costs $17. I have short hair but it's a lot of work still. My mom gets her hair colored for $35 (basically getting the gray covered up) and it's another $10 if she wants a trim on top of that. I will legit cry whenever I move away from here and have to find someone new. I know finding something that cheap and that is actually a good cut is really, really hard. She's also the only person to have ever cut my hair. I have pictures from when I was a toddler sitting in her chair and her giving me my first hair cut lol

Carmen SD and lish like this.
  23. lish

That's awesome

Jams likes this.
  24. supernovagirl

I'm not even going to contribute bc I legit never get my hair done haha

but I do want to say that wow my skin is the softest its ever been!! I definitely believe in the products I'm using. The texture is so much better (I noticed with my makeup, since that's what originally spurred me to fix it) but the redness is still there. I don't know how to really address that :/

Kiana likes this.
  25. Carmen SD

Trusted

There’s an aveda salon that I have a gift card for of $100. I was thinking about going to the beauty college to get my hair cut (it’s only around less than $10) and color at the aveda. Maybe get a bayalage. Although I tried to look up prices and it doesn’t seem like a “set” price and prices depend on stylist.

lish likes this.