Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Single Mothers - Our Pleasure (June 16, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Matt, Apr 25, 2017.

1. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

ill always be a sucker for this

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'll try to listen to this tonight

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Would say his voice, despite his best efforts, will never let this band be poppy no matter how catch stuff gets. Not a slight on him, just an observation. It makes the hooks on this really interesting because you hear how it really is and what it could be. Real into this so far, love how any time I press play on this band, I know I'm in for a ride. Shit rips

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Some of these songs border on a real heavy Pinkerton vibe? Fuck

5. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Personally, I LOVED Negative Qualities and the Meltdown EP. I found a don't-give-a-fuck quality to their music that made me feel good, really pulled me in. Not such a big fan of the new LP. I mean, it's alright, but ehhhh, I wish it was either more straight forward punk a la the first LP or more weird a la Meltdown. Instead, I feel like it's a middle ground that works sometimes (Undercover, Long Distance, Leash, People are Pets), but mostly comes off as average elsewhere. Like it doesn't know what it's trying to be (Roller Coaster and A-OK).

That said, I know Drew Thomson has it in him to write gold (Meltdown was written and recorded after Our Pleasure apparently), so I'll always be curious to see what they do in the future, but this album has kind of tempered how I feel about the band overall.

ALSO: Check out Drew's latest solo endeavor. I thought it was just alright at first, but then it grew and grew and grew and I can't get enough of it. If you buy it, there's an 8th track also.

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Rollercoaster was a great song idk what to tell you. Love all their output at this point, there's nothing on here I love as much as Marbles, but I think this is definitely a consistently great album. I'll check out that solo thing, feel like he's more hit or miss for me in that realm

cubsml34 likes this.
  7. EmmanuelSCastle Sep 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 26, 2017)
    EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

After tonight, this album is having a renaissance. I love the asshole persona in this band's songs, and I love how all over the place they are on the punk spectrum. I feel like the unapologetic asshole is underutilized in this realm of music in favor of sad bastard a lot of times (the national mixes it up well but let me get the single mothers sass and grit too tho)

bedwettingcosmo, cubsml34 and fame like this.
  8. bedwettingcosmo

ya this album rages hard and i love it

EmmanuelSCastle and cubsml34 like this.
  9. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Can't wait to see them finally next month.

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

You're in for a treat. Drew has an interesting stage presence. Not antagonistic but a little in your face and theatrical in a non cheesy way.

cubsml34 likes this.
  11. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

haven't seen them live since back in 2012 when they opened for Title Fight and Pianos Become the Teeth but I remember them being super energetic and they broke a bunch of shit lol

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Nothing broken at this show, it was v tame in comparison to the stories I've heard about them.

13. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Update from me: Our Pleasure has grown on me quite a bit. It took a while, but I dig it now. Will still maintain that the Meltdown EP reigns supreme though.

Also I saw them play last night in SF and it was fucking rad. The band seemed really happy playing, like they were stoked to be there--that's always good to see and it made for a fun performance. Talked briefly with Drew after and he's a real sweet guy, which I didn't really expect based on their lyrical content.

cubsml34 likes this.
  14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah i think everyone expects him to be an asshole but he's always seemed super chill outside of his songs haha. I think the title track is the best song on the meltdown ep and the rest is good but maybe not as good as the album. idk though it's close

15. 5Stories

Regular

Just listened to this album for the first time walking home in the rain and it fucking kills. Turns out they're play in London in a couple weeks. BOOKED SO FAST. Need to check out the rest of the discog.

cubsml34 and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  16. 5Stories

Regular

Just watching some live videos and the singer does not look like how he sounds

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

What did you imagine he looked like based on his voice?

18. 5Stories

Regular

Daryl Palumbo circa 2003. I didn't expect this buttoned down white shirt look either

19. Paul Beaumont

My band have just been added to open for these guys in the UK next month. Excited for that.

cubsml34 likes this.
  20. 5Stories

Regular

I'll get there early!

21. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Live on Audiotree rn

22. bedwettingcosmo

23. adeadgod

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really excited for this and the supposed full length to follow this EP. He’s always working on something.

24. 5Stories

Regular

I like this a lot, he sounds so different haha

25. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

I like this a lot, but not quite as much as the original version of the song.