Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sinai Vessel - Brokenlegged (January 27, 2017) Album • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Oct 5, 2016.

1. travisred Jan 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 30, 2017)
    travisred

Trusted Supporter

I keep trying to listen to this but it sounds so bad. It's pretty grating and almost hurts. I'm using Apple Music and it sounds as if it was a terrible online stream. This is one of the first times I can think of that I like an album but kind of refuse to listen to because of the production quality.

cwhit likes this.
  2. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I think the production quality is rough at some points, but fine if i'm listening through headphones (as far as Apple Music)

This album reminds me of a mix of The Hotelier and Foxing's The Albatross. I remember really liking The Albatross but wishing for better production on that album too.

3. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this album is good but kinda falls off a cliff with the last two tracks

4. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I don't mind Died On My Birthday (despite it being a sudden changeup) and wish the album ended on it, but I do agree that Cork of Worry is definitely a steep decline from everything before.

5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I saw them last night and they were solid. The PA in the house was kind of bad so I could barely hear the vocals but I enjoyed the set.

6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I like the last song, has a very different sound then the rest of the record, almost an alt rock sounding song

KidLightning likes this.
  7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

now that everyone is here please help

8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

its got very much a Manchester orchestra Pride sort of sound/ mean everything to nothing era

9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

for the verses, the big part at the end def sounds like a HUGE mainstream rock song from the early 2000's can't think of it though

cwhit likes this.
  10. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I was thinking about that as I was listening to Goodness this morning. I don't love the mix on Goodness, the mids can get pretty deafening, but the music still shines through for me. That hasn't happened for me yet with this, I hope I'll get passed it though.

Also, I kind of love the production of The Albatross in a weird way. It sounds sort of cheap and not completely cohesive (vocals always sound like they're in a completely different room), but it works better for me. They're is a lot going on and you don't know what to focus on, but for the most part you can still hear the individual pieces which I feel is hard to do at time on Brokenlegged.

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I like the Albatross production a lot actually, and I feel like the Hotelier sound on goodness was an intentional, aesthetic decision. Again, I haven't listened to this as much as I'd like to, but luckily the production nowhere near killed this for me and I like it a lot. The last track is weird still but partly because that's still the only place I think it fits

12. cwhit

Albatross remastered is significantly better than the original one, sounds like a totally different record

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

AH well the remastered one is the one i have always listened to so guess that's it

14. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I'm actually not sure if I've heard the original then...

15. cwhit

original is pretty unlistenable at this point, haha. over the remaster that is.
    sold my original pressing as soon as the new one came out

16. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

The last four tracks imo. The first half is growing on me, but then it really seems to fall away.

17. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I honestly think the back half has the better songs, just has poorer sequencing.

18. Dogs, Birthblood, and Cork of Worry are like the best songs on this

the production didn't bother me. not great, but not noticeably bad

nohandstoholdonto and coleslawed like this.
  19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yeah I don't think this album sounds bad at all

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i just kind of wish it was more balanced -- would like the bass and vocals a little higher but none of this makes it sound bad to me, and i still enjoy this a lot. listening to it again for the first time in a while, will report back after im done (again)

21. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

im not done yet but birth blood might be their best song so far

teebs41 likes this.
  22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is kinda boring

FTank and Joel like this.
  23. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I had some guitar riffs from this stuck in my head yesterday but today I can't remember what a single song sounds like.

24. Horrorca

Trusted

I get why you would feel that way, but the original holds a certain charm to me... a feeling

25. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i put this on yesterday with my headphones on at work and i wondered if i accidentally downloaded it at like 124kbps... but nope, 320. i wanna dive into this but it just doesn't sound good.

Joel likes this.