Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Silverstein - Dead Reflection (July 14, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by teebs41, May 18, 2017.

1. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I haven't heard Dead Reflection yet. In anticipation of it, here's how the rest of them rank:

Discovering The Waterfront > This Is How The Wind Shifts > A Shipwreck In The Sand > I Am Alive In Everything I Touch > Arrivals And Departures > When Broken Is Easily Fixed > Rescue

teebs41 likes this.
  2. Larry David

I'm surprised "Ghost" made the record. They had said that was going to be a one-off song.

3. Larry David

I can actually get behind this. Very rare I agree with your bold statements, hot takes, whatever you want to call them haha

4. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I really enjoy Ghost, but I wish it didn't make the record and we got another banger in its place.

teebs41 likes this.
  5. Larry David

Agreed. I'm also not a fan in general of bands releasing songs well before a record comes out that end up on the record. I like a record being completely new to me when I hear it

parkerxcore likes this.
  6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Do I make that many? Haha

teebs41 likes this.
  7. Larry David

You make a ton! You've already made one in this thread I disagree with haha

js977 likes this.
  8. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

It's pretty much my bottom two. Only reason I put Short Songs last is because I have never really given it a chance. I listened to it once and it didn't do much for me. Only song I remember is One Last Dance and it's just because they put the acoustic version in the deluxe version of Wind Shifts.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh the one about liking I am alive? Idk haha maybe I say things kinda strongly, haven't put a lot of thought into it

I do tend to have unique opinions though

10. Larry David

About saying it's their best haha.

11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I do strongly think that, used to think it was TIHTWS but I've barely listened to that album since I am alive came out

12. Larry David

There are definitely some top tier Silverstein songs on there("Je me Souviens" "A Midwestern State of Emergency") but I still felt like it was a letdown after how great TIHTWS is/was. I feel like there are way too many forgettable songs on it.

13. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Ah I freaking love both versions of One Last Dance!

js977 and Micool1 like this.
  14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, not every song is a home run for sure, but every Silverstein album has a couple whatever tracks so to me it just comes with the territory

15. Larry David

No way! The first three records in my ranking are great front to back!

16. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

I've just relistened to Short Songs. I like most of the original songs and like half of the covers. It went up a couple spots in my ranking.

17. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Whiplash is great. Never been that into this band but that song alone makes me want to check the new album. I hope it doesn't end up being the only song I really like on the record

18. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

1. This is how the wind shifts
    2. A shipwreck in the sand
    3. Discovering the waterfront
    4. Rescue
    5. Arrivals and departures
    6. I am alive
    7. Short songs
    8. When broken is easily fixed

5-7 change by day for me. I am alive has solid songs but only 2 (late on 6th, je me) I'd put up with the top 3-4 on literally every other record. I think rescue suffers a lot from the low promo that record seemed to get. In Memory Of, Texas Mickey, and Dancing On My Grave are top songs. Someone also mentioned something about each album having a couple whatever songs. Those are usually the songs that have that almost overly-Silverstein type riff on them, and they're usually singles. Their riffing can get pretty same-y to me and its often a boring riff to begin with. I say that despite them being one of my favorite bands haha

19. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I don't hate the last two in my ranking but:

Rescue seemed like it was trying toi hard to be edgy or "Metal" and didn't really connect with me.

"When Broken..." is just a little generic. I like it, and a lot of the songs are good (Giving Up, Smashed Into Pieces, November) but the whole thing feels a bit constrained and repressed, both musically, lyrically, and from an audiophille standpoint. And Shane's screams are a bit ear-rapey at times (*Cough*Cough* Bleeds No More)

20. Rescue is really underrrated IMO

21. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

That's true. Even though it's in the bottom of their discography for me, it's much better than the reputation it has.

22. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I like songs on Rescue and I don't really like anything on A&D or Shipwreck. Broken I agree with, ha.

23. Larry David

How?! :uhoh:

24. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Idk, I've just always really disliked that album. The concept doesn't work for me at all and any time he's talking about ships and the captain I'm out. I think there's probably a couple of songs or at least moments of songs I don't mind but I don't particularly enjoy any of it. I've tried going back to it many times because of how much most people seem to like it but I seem to like it less with time if anything.

25. Larry David

Fair enough haha