Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Silence (Martin Scorsese; December, 2016) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Nov 22, 2016.

1. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

non religious comment was directed towards coleslaw above me. oscar nods + $ =/= critical success. thats all I'm saying.

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

But it's got 77% on RT, 75 on Metacritic, and was on 40 top ten lists according to Wikipedia. and then theres

List of accolades received by The Wolf of Wall Street (2013 film) - Wikipedia

It was a success. It did well critically. It did well monetarily. I don't get the idea that folks having not "forgiven" him for a very successful and well received film is a reason Silence isn't doing as well.

I mean, a 2.5+ hour tonally somber, religious film based on a Japanese novel from the 60s set largely in Japan with lots of Japanese dialogue and Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver, notable actors but not exactly box office draws, all make a lot more sense as to why audiences haven't rushed out to see this.

3. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

thnx 4 facts :)

4. NitrateDawn

Regular

I wish I saw this being pushed in the Christian circles I'm involved in...

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I don't even know what's going on in this thread, but this is fantastic. It's not nearly as violent as I expected, but somehow more relentless. Felt pretty rough after watching it. Even still, it was almost comedic (and obviously tragic) the way Kichijro kept showing up everywhere immediately trying to repent, even after betraying Andrew Garfield's character

6. NitrateDawn

Regular

That kind of bothered me while I was watching and I thought it was a little funny too, but for whatever reason after letting the movie sit with me I don't have an issue with it. Just shows Garfield's character's struggle to forgive him every time even when he knows he'll do it again.

7. StevenW92

Regular

I saw the trailer several times before other films at Sheffield cineworld and smaller posters of it in the corridors.

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

At this point Scorsese has made three incredible films in a row and shows no sign of slowing down. I don't think his last film has anything to do with this one getting neglected. Late release, limited release, less mainstream subject matter, poor marketing, Leo isn't in it, etc. are all factors that figure into what's going on here. It's a damn shame, because Silence doesn't deserve that, but that's what's really happening.

9. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I sadly haven't been to the cinema much recently so I missed all the promotion and only heard about it when it was too late.

Also, absolutely love that there's a fellow person based in Sheffield (or at least nearby) here!