Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Silence (Martin Scorsese; December, 2016) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Nov 22, 2016.

1. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Wow. Just saw this today. I don't even know what to say.

2. imthegrimace

I saw it at 3 today and I was the youngest person by about 30 years. I'm 28.

3. Morrissey

Trusted

We have a nearly identical situation. I am 28 and I get off work at 3, so I usually see a movie around that time before I drive home. For Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight I was the only one paying full price.

4. imthegrimace

I'm a GM of a restaurant so I usually have a weekday off and will catch a movie in the morning/afternoon and most times it's me and a few senior citizens or sometimes just me. I enjoy it because for the most part they just watch the movie except for the occasional question because someone's confused. I hate going at night or the weekend when it's packed or with the younger crowd that's constantly on their phones or talking.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

Yeah, it can be funny to hear how confused they get by seemingly simple plots. I do not see a whole lot of movies kids would want to see, but I try to avoid those crowds altogether on weekend nights because of the drugs and police presence they bring.

6. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I always go to the first show of the day, if I can't make that I'll wait for another a day. This is probably going to be the first movie I see after dark in a long long time

7. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Saw this at 2:30 pm in a theater with only two elderly couple.

This was something. Still trying to process the third act and what I think about it, but it was incredibly well-made. He probably could have trimmed something for time, but his knowledge of when to break the tension and quiet with an "oh shit" moment was masterful.

imthesheriff likes this.
  8. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm going to see this at 9:15 tonight. That's the only show time this theater has this movie playing for the next week. Moonlight opened at the same place last week and it's only had two showings per day. So weird.

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Don't forget this is like 3 hours long. That's plays a big part in how many screenings owners are willing to give it.

10. Morrissey

Trusted

This is a good movie.

11. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I just keep picturing the green of those mountains and the shots in the fog. Props to Rodrigo Prieto. Those are some indelible images

dadbolt likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

One of the things that is striking about the movie is the way violence is portrayed. With the exception of the three being drowned on the cross, the first act of violence comes roughly two hours into the movie, and it shocks the audience in its quickness and efficiency. You realize that, despite the constant looming threat of violence, that you have been led to think you saw more than you actually did.

At heart is a central question: are religious martyrs corrupted by their own ego? It calls into question the classic tales at the heart of Christianity, something deeper than the surface issue of overcoming adversity and persecution. In 21st century secularism, the decision-making can be hard to understand; why not just step on an image of Jesus or say some words? After all, they are meaningless symbols, and the suffering being caused by this refusal seems to make it an easy choice. So, then, are the decisions of the priests to watch people die while refusing to recant their faith an act of sincerity or egoism, a desire to be known as a Very Important Christian in history?

It is a little weird that all the Portuguese people speak English, and the decision to drown Kylo Ren seems to conflict with an earlier comment about the error in killing priests. The final shot takes away some of the ambiguity as well, but after such bleakness the decision to reaffirm faith can be understood a little better.

13. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

just got back from long drive home after seeing this. this was really good. don't have much i can add to what morrissey said but i was really impressed with how much tension they were able to build up with no score or musical cues. i loved rodrigues' talks with the inquisitor.

was also amused that liam neeson had no accent whatsoever

I Am Mick likes this.
  14. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I loved it. About as faithful an adaptation as it gets, pretty much scene for scene from the book. Garfield, Driver, and Kubozuka were so good.

dadbolt likes this.
  15. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

this movie is being slept on. not necessarily in this thread. just in general.

16. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I didn't even hear about it until it finished showing here (Sheffield, UK). Really disappointed.

17. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

its getting pushed in the Christian circles I follow pretty decently.

18. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

i am non-religious and this movie still hits. idk. i don't get it. its marty. maybe folks still haven't forgiven him for Wolf? (another underrated film imo).

19. imthegrimace

I'm not sure what you mean by any of that?

I Am Mick likes this.
  20. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

k

21. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Why does Scorsese need to be forgiven for a great film that was his biggest financial success?

22. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

wolf didn't get the critical reception it deserved. noobs got lost in the drug filled butt hole and missed the point.

23. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I mean, it was well-received and nominated for 5 Oscars, plus the biggest box office gross of Scorsese's career. Some people missed the point, but by most metrics it was a pretty big success.

24. imthegrimace

Yeah I'd consider Wolf a success any way you want to look at it and where does it say you have to be religious to have this film "hit" you?

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I think it's just that this is a great movie but not necessarily commercially viable, if it didn't have Hollywood stars even Scorcese probably couldn't get it made which is fucked up I know