Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Silence (Martin Scorsese; December, 2016) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Nov 22, 2016.

1. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Lagoon in uptown?

2. The Uptown theater (single screen) across from Lagoon

coleslawed likes this.
  3. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I was going to see this tonight at 10:30 but the 2 hour and 41 minute run time as rethinking that.

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Hm.

Way to soon to have a take. Fascinating, definitely.

My friend fell asleep and woke up to a decapetation.

5. Nathan

I don't think a film I saw this year has made me think about it as much as this. I don't think a film I saw this year was as layered and rich as this, in theme and in technique. I need to see it again. But I am enamored.

6. Morrissey

Trusted

It is playing a good hour south and west of me. Going to wait and assume it will open wider. This the inverse of the Oscars shining a light on deserving movies; when a film does not get the Oscar attention that was expecting, it gets pulled from a wider release.

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I'd bet good money "Bye Bye Man" makes more than this.

The problem is basically there's too many new movies out this week. You have "Bye Bye Man," "Monster Trucks" and "Sleepless," along with "Live By Night" and "Patriots Day" going wide. A movie like "Silence" was bound to get buried, but could pop up with Oscar buzz. I don't think it made other awards shows because they didn't send out screeners or do many screenings.

8. I wouldn't doubt it^

I'd expect Patriots Day to do well, Bye Bye Man to do modestly considering its budget, and Monster Trucks and Sleepless to flop. Silence could do ok, but the long runtime, subject matter, and minimal advertising (from what I've seen at least) definitely hurt it.

9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yea, "Patriots Day" will likely win out, since it's the annual "Drapes itself in the American flag" January movie like "13 Hours," "American Sniper," etc.

10. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Saw this last night. It was an interesting, well-done film. Worth seeing once. And only once.

11. Nathan

I feel like I have to see it again before I can give it much of the articulation it deserves.

12. NitrateDawn

Regular

Saw this last night. What a powerful movie. As someone who takes my own faith seriously, the way it made me grapple with questions of my own faith with no easy answers will have me thinking about it for a while.

Honestly I can see how people who aren't religious would be put off by this movie. But I think it's something anyone of faith should see and grapple with.

Dean and coleslawed like this.
  13. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I think this is the absolute opposite of a film you only need to see once. It's a lot to unpack.

14. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Granted. I just meant more, I have no desire to ever sit through it again.

15. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Figured I'd read the book while I wait for it to open here. Enjoying it, hard to imagine the first bit cinematically, I'm assuming they'll plow through it

16. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Pretty intense movie.

17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I was wrong. Surprisingly, "Hidden Figures" was number one, which is cool that even though it's not outstanding, it's a movie I'm happy people are seeing. This did okay for how many theaters it was in. "Live By Night" tanked hard.

18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Beautiful. Powerful. Devastating. This was a work of such staggering, masterful artistry. Scorsese poured everything he had into this film and it shows. I don't know that anything else I've seen or still have to see from 2016 can top this. Just, wow.

19. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

I've had this in my head a lot since watching it a couple of days ago. Looking forward to seeing it again sometime.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

Coming out here Friday after all. One of the last American films of 2016 I need to see, along with Paterson.

21. The Film Comment interview is so damn good. Not surprisingly now that I've seen it, this has inspired some excellent reads.

22. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

It's opening here this weekend but showing once a day at 10pm. I hate this theater

23. Nathan

I wrote about this and had a hard time doing so, but I think I found something to say.

Silence • chorus.fm

coleslawed likes this.
  24. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I absolutely loved the book. I have to imagine the scene where Adam Driver's character diesis really really powerful. Very cinematic feeling to it.

Looks like it's only playing once per day this weekend at 7:15 so I might have to take off work.

25. Morrissey Jan 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 18, 2017)
    Morrissey

Trusted

It is so weird that many of your theaters are showing late night only. This seems like a movie that the old people at 10 a.m. would flock to.

I Am Mick likes this.