Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Silence (Martin Scorsese; December, 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Rjones1325

With outstanding performances by Garfield and Ogata and powerful direction by one of the best auteurs in Hollywood, Martin Scorsese's Silence is a beautifully poignant epic masterpiece that perfectly depicts the importance of religion and how far you’ll go to maintain your beliefs.

Silence Review

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Adam Nayman is generally great. Looking forward to reading it after I see the film.

4. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

any idea when this opens wide?

5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is quite easily my favorite thing he's done since Goodfellas (disclosure, I've not seen Cape Fear, The Aviator, Bringing Out The Dead or Kundun). It's amazing to see him do something that's so stylistically restrained, especially coming off The Wolf of Wall Street. The depiction of guilt and religion doesn't really exist in this form anymore. In this regard, it really calls back to what many European directors were doing when tackling the subject of religion in the 50s (Bergman is a big one coming to mind here, but it also doesn't feel like a Bergman film).

The Reverse Shot piece up there does an excellent job tying the film to Scorsese's body of work, mainly what the film shares with Taxi Driver.

6. Morrissey

Trusted

That is pretty high praise. From the Oscar release date to the subject material, I thought it was going to be one of his more anonymous works, but now I can't wait to see it.

7. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Welp, gonna see this tonight then

8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'm bummed my theater didn't get this yet. Hopefully it can keep getting some buzz and open everywhere (though I've heard shockingly little of this, some of my friends didn't even know Scorcese had a new movie out)

9. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

It's weird how little noise is being made about there being a new Scorsese film. Given it's not his typical content though, I can see this ending up with a more devoted, cultish following like Age of Innocence or Last Temptation of Christ.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  10. There hasn't been as much marketing. The cast is A-list, but won't draw huge audiences like Leo. The subject material doesn't exactly seem like it'd appeal to wide audiences either. Judging by the trailer, this seems much more subdued and less flashy than his past few films.

11. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Very excited to check this out

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This is finally releasing here on Thursday. Still waiting on 20th Century Women, Paterson, and Elle, among others.

13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

My biggest still to see are this, Paterson, 20th Century Women, and Toni Erdmann. I think after I've seen all those I'll be set.

14. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

finally starting showing at a small local theatre here this week, hopefully i can check it out later this week or weekend.

15. Morrissey

Trusted

This mysteriously disappeared from my local theater's list of upcoming films. Hard to imagine a Scorsese film not being around to see easily, though.

16. It's playing here. I might try to catch it this weekend

coleslawed and GrantCloud like this.
  17. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Seeing it tomorrow night. Been reading Richard Schickel's Conversations With Scorsese, just a fantastic read on film and Scorsese's relationship with it

18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Pretty salty that my theater got 5 new movies this week and Silence wasn't one of them. But Bye Bye Man and Monster Trucks it is!

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

maybe you can confirm that The Bye Bye Man exists and I haven't been laughing at the title for 2 months for naught

dadbolt likes this.
  20. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

We got a poster and hung it up well over a year ago. When we took it down, I thought I was right in assuming it was a prank. But apparently it's real and it's coming out now. And our company assumes it'll make more money than a Scorsese movie, apparently.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Even with the praise I don't really wanna see it. Flashbacks to high school religion class films

22. Morrissey

Trusted

I feel a lot of the same hesitation. It does not really seem that interesting at all, even if all the feedback makes it seem great.

OhTheWater and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  23. The acting portrayed in the trailer looks questionable but it looks wonderfully shot

24. Morrissey

Trusted

The colors just make it look so dreary. Again, I am expecting good things because of the reception but Scorsese's best films have always popped with imagery.

25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I really want to see this and I'm pretty sure my theater is getting it.