Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sigur Rós Band • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Kennedy, Mar 8, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

3. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

THIS SONG IS INCREDIBLE

SmashRipsaw likes this.
  4. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Super poppy, but also just the right amount of weird.

5. MrAirplane

Trusted

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

coleslawed and MrAirplane like this.
  7. irthesteve

The band sent this clip out in their newsletter

...if you need to brighten your day here is Will Ferrell walking through an airport to Svefn-G-Englar

hermanthehermit likes this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

New Jónsi album is out today!!

9. stars143

Trusted

10. irthesteve

awakeohsleeper and Jim like this.
  11. irthesteve

*Dvergmál is the first track to be released from the new Sigur Rós album Odin's Raven Magic.*

*The album 'Odin’s Raven Magic' is an orchestral collaboration between Sigur Rós, Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson, Steindór Andersen and Maria Huld Markan Sigfúsdóttir which premiered 18 years ago at the Barbican Centre in London and is now finally almost two decades later being released. The performance honours the poem, dramatic and beautiful, classical with a modern strike. A stone marimba was built especially for the performance by Páll Guðmundsson.*

*Odin’s Raven Magic - the poem - had been relegated from mainstream ancient literature ever since 1867, when Norwegian scholar Sophus Bugge claimed it was a 17th century fabrication. This theory has since been toppled with literary and linguistic arguments and new research has concluded that Odin’s Raven Magic was indeed authentic and has finally being reintroduced to the Edda.*

Sigur Rós - Dvergmál

awakeohsleeper, OotyPa and stars143 like this.
  12. irthesteve

Damn, I got too excited, it's not really A NEW album I guess. The band's post on social media was very misleading. Maybe you'll all feel my same up and down when you see my posts haha

13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Reads like a new album to me—or rather, at least an unreleased one. Song is beautiful, feels very Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust without lyrics, IMO.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  14. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I would absolutely consider this a new album. Song is beautiful.

15. irthesteve

I feel a bit confused then. From what I can gather, this release is 18 years old but only getting an official release now? Reddit mentions hearing this song now after listening to it on bootlegs for years. Or maybe this is just the same music from 18 years ago, fully re-recorded?

coleslawed likes this.
  16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I'm not sure actually. It's just new to me haha. I've never heard anything of it before.

17. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

“The band recorded Odin’s Raven Magic with the Schola Cantorum of Reykjavík and L’Orchestre des Laureats du Conservatoire National de Paris. The work was inspired by a section of a Medieval Icelandic literary work depicting an apocalyptic banquet. ”

yes, from what I can gather these are full studio recordings of a previous live performance.

18. irthesteve

19. irthesteve

yeahhh this album isn't for me, seems like it needs to go along with visuals to make sense. The non-Jonsi vocals aren't my thing at all

20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Agreed 100%

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Rewatched Heima for the first time in ten years today. This thing is just fucking gorgeous. Visually and audibly. lol

hermanthehermit and coleslawed like this.
  22. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

An edible and Heima is the most relaxing evening

DrawYourMind likes this.
  23. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Every so often I do another huge dive into this band and obviously, they're fantastic.

This go round, Valtari was more enjoyable for me and Agaetis as well: I've typically always been stuck on ( ), Takk as far and away my favorites.

Don't think any of their albums will top ( ) for me, though. It's essentially perfect in my eyes.

Also, thanks for the reminder and I need to re-watch Heima again as well!

OotyPa, coleslawed and smowashere like this.
  24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

hermanthehermit and MrAirplane like this.
  25. strummer

Beautiful. I saw them on the Takk tour and they opened with Glosoli playing behind that huge sheet. So many chills during that show.