Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sigur Rós Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Kennedy, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Deathco_019

Drummer

I thought they always played Hoppipolla in their sets. Every live set I've ever watched on Youtube has that song in it

2. Xenocide

The Czar

Setlist.fm says differently, also can't find a youtube video of it post-2013

3. ahabian

there isn't a proper word for the setting sun.

I've actually done this trip myself, and I remember reflecting on how much Sigur Rós sounds like Iceland.

coleslawed likes this.
  4. So I waited for like, over a year to find a copy of Von on vinyl where the packaging wasn't all fucky and I sort of refused to listen to it until I found one. I finally got one for Christmas (complete with fucky packaging) and gave it a listen, and...yeesh. Those early recordings are raw. Half of them just sound like unpolished field recordings. "Myrkur" is a jam, though.

5. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

Sigur Ros vinyl is so expensive :(

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. i can usually find it for somewhere between $20 and $30 here. I paid $30 for Agaetis Byrjun but it was totally worth it.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

coleslawed likes this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm going to one of those shows ^ and very curious how, if at all, their influence will be heard

9. irthesteve

in two weeks we play three shows at walt disney concert hall with the la philharmonic, our first live shows with an orchestra since performing odin's raven magic 15 years ago.

it's a little daunting to be honest, especially as this time we are playing actual sigur rós songs. that said, the early signs are encouraging, in that we have a slew of amazing new arrangements from an illustrious array of talents. eight composers have each chosen a song, and worked their magic on tracks from as far back as ágætis byrjun (1999) all the way through to new, unreleased material.

daníel bjarnason – 'á'
    dan deacon – 'festival'
    david lang – 'hrafntinna'
    missy mazzoli – 'ekki múkk'
    anna meredith – 'fljótavík'
    nico muhly – 'niður'
    owen pallett – 'starálfur'
    páll ragnar pálsson – 'takk / glósóli

10. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Just heard "Varuo" in the movie trailer for The Zookeepers Wife!

11. irthesteve

coleslawed likes this.
  12. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

lol i won tickets for the show tomorrow, same venue i'm seeing bon iver tonight. two days ago i didn't really plan on going to either

not a huge sigur ros fan but i've heard enough about their live set that i think i should go

coleslawed likes this.
  13. Deathco_019

Drummer

You should absolutely go

14. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Go!! You won't see another show like it.

15. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

16. irthesteve

Pitchfork uploaded the entire LA Phil show, I highly suggest watching at some point

coleslawed, Ken and Aaron Mook like this.
  17. Larry David

Holy shit thank you for sharing!

Ken likes this.
  18. Deathco_019

Drummer

Looks like I've got plans for tonight now

coleslawed, truelovewaits and Ken like this.
  19. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

yes, thank you for sharing!

truelovewaits likes this.
  20. irthesteve

I don't recall exactly where, but about halfway into the show Jonsi held a singular note for what was honestly a minute or so, it was mindblowing

coleslawed likes this.
  21. Larry David

Good lord. I don't know if I'm ready for this

22. I saw them Sunday night and he seemed to do that a couple times. He is an absolute wonder.

23. Deathco_019

Drummer

I am finally seeing this band tonight with the one and only @sophos34 and it's going to be magical. I've been waiting four years for this day to come

24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Thirty minutes in: this is the best band of my life time

25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Top 3 show I've ever seen. Set 2 was un fucking real. Ny batteri - vaka - festival - kveikur, im dead