Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sigur Rós Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Kennedy, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Sigur Rós is a post-rock band from Iceland. They released their debut full length Von in 1997 and have been releasing beautiful records ever since. Sigur Rós is definitely one of he most influential bands ever to hit the post-rock genre. Lead vocalist Jónsi Birgisson although singing in a language unfamiliar to most of us, draws you in with his instantly notable voice and takes you into a world of atmosphere.
    To say Sigur Rós is a "must-listen" is an understatement. They truly are one of the best bands of the past couple decades.

2. Kennedy

i know this is an unpopular opinion, but Valtari is hands down my favorite Sigur album. it means a lot to me, and its easily in my top 10 releases of the decade thus far.

3. Sophos

Regular

wow that is an unpopular opinion haha. mine is aegetis byrjun most days but () is pretty much right there as well, with kveikur super super super close behind

4. Kennedy

Haha I know, it's really weird.

I love what Valtari means to me. It's near impossible to explain but I'll try. Valtari really hit me around the time of like "my first love". For some reason the melodies and the droney soundscapes of that record remind me of what it's like to truly fall in love. It's such a slow building album, but I honestly think it's gorgeous. It's really symbolic for that time of my life. And the way the album ends is perfect for how that expirence ended for me.

Sounds really cheesy and I wasn't expecting to get that personal in my explanation of why that album is what it is to me. But the two can't really be disconnected.

DrawYourMind likes this.
  5. Sophos

Regular

i feel you, i actually do think valtari is an excellent album and it reminds me of a time in my life right after a big break up which im not saying is good or bad it just takes me there, i always appreciate music that takes me to another place via nostalgic memories

6. George

Trusted Prestigious

I'm with ya. Maybe not "hands down" my favourite, but I float between Valtrari and ( ) depending on the day.

7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

seeing them in portugal this summer for the first time. rather excited. i like valtari a lot, varud is prob up there for my favourite songs from them.

8. Kennedy

( ) is my number two as well

9. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Picked up Agaetis Byrjun on vinyl the other day. Couldn't believe my local B&N had it. Set me back my entire wallet but it was worth it.

10. Deathco_019

Drummer

( ) is my favorite album for sure, but Aegatis Byrjun is right up there with it. Honestly, love this band's discography from Aegatis to Kveikur. Really stellar stuff.

Valtari is one of my go-to sleepy time albums. That and ( ). Depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

11. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

There's a lot of days where I think Kveiker is almost as good as Agaetis Byrjun.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  12. Deathco_019

Drummer

Kveikur is great. Definitely a top 3 album from these guys for me.

13. PyramidPostcard

avocado squirrel rides again Prestigious

Ágætis byrjun is probably my favorite, but most their albums are similar in quality.

14. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

anyone score tickets for this tour? it looks like 90% of the Minneapolis shows tickets are on stubhub starting at $100, might have to cough it up for this, though.

also, I really dig both kveiker and valtari right now.

15. I got a ticket for SLC!

16. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Endalaust is the only album of theirs that I know, but I'd like to see them when they come to Phoenix later this year if I'm able to. That would be a beautiful sight.

Edit: aaaand at almost $300 for a balcony seat, that ship has sailed.

17. Deathco_019

Drummer

Tickets are very expensive so I'm just gonna lay down outside in the rain so that no one can tell the difference between the rain and my tears.

18. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

kveikur >>>

wish the tour was sooner/less expensive so i could commit to going, i'd love to see them live

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Haven't listened in sooooo long. I'll check out the New York dates tho.

20. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I've never heard this album referred to as that and was v confused. i've always just called it med sud, or the naked people album.

21. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

( ) is my number one, but Kveiker is a close second. These guys are wonderful.

22. Kyle is hk

I forgot to buy philly tickets...

23. Deathco_019

Drummer

Did it sell out I'm guessing?

24. Kyle is hk

Big time sold out

25. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I've always called it that because it's the only word in the title that doesn't have special characters haha.