Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sherlock (BBC) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Gahhhhh come on. Got to see it early. Damn time zones. Now I know how the west coast of the USA feels pretty much every night.

Still have 1.5 hours to go here.

2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Can't believe it's been 3 years since series 3.

3. Decided to do a full rewatch before I start this season because it's been a while, and I just finished season 2 today. I'd forgotten how much I love this show.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

A couple more hours before it airs on the west coast, so stoked. This show is so excellent.

5. Greg

Agree with a lot of this. Despite a lot happening, it felt like very little progressed in a weird way. Though both John and Sherlock come off as off character in a lot of ways after the 30 minutes or so.

I do not think Mary was responsible for his video. We have not been shown any reason for her to have done that.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I think he just means because the disc had "Miss Me?" Written on it. There's definitely foreshadowing there in some form or another.

7. Colby Searcy

Same and glad I did cuz I didn't remember much

8. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I figured the miss me on the disk was just a joke from Mary as it seemed to me that was recorded the same time she went on the run.

Overall I enjoyed the episode, looking forward to see where the rest of the series goes.

coleslawed and I Am Mick like this.
  9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I really didn't like this episode. It was all over the place, they set up a ton of mysteries and none of them were interesting or went anywhere or were even particularly clever. I never really liked Mary either (thought the whole "john married a secret agent!" aspect was incredibly stupid) so maybe it'll be better without her.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. Anthony_

I didn't dislike the episode but I also really wish they'd just get back to the mystery stories. I'm kind of sick of the whole international intrigue angle at this point. Holmes isn't a superspy, he's the world's greatest detective. Like, it made sense for the one episode because it was a cool twist on the Mary character, and it also makes a ton of sense for this Watson to stay with her even after knowing her past (because of his love for danger and all), but spending so much time on Mary's backstory, such that now it's bleeding into this new (and maybe final) series as well, is getting to be too much. Hopefully now it's over, but it didn't have to be that way. Would've rather her not get killed for the sake of Holmes and Watson character development and instead stay on and join them in their adventures.

11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I enjoyed having the show back but it was not a great episode. I was so happy that it seemed like we were getting a normal mystery story and then it was solved in five seconds just to lead to the Mary spy angle. I don't particularly care for Mary so I was not a fan of hinging another episode on her, when we got some of that last season as well. There wasn't quite enough of the Sherlock/Watson combo chemistry that makes this series shine and I really hope they resolve the Watson angry at Sherlock subplot ASAP.

We'll see how the rest of this season goes, Cumberbatch and Freeman are still a joy in their roles but I would have liked to see a more traditional mystery to start off the first full season in years.

12. Anthony_

Yeah, I mean like fuck, the whole selling point of this series was Freeman and Cumberbatch as Watson and Holmes and their being so great together. It's just absurd at this point how, at least for the moment, the show seems totally uninterested in what is essentially its foundational aspect. It's bugging me more and more as I think about it.

13. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This honestly felt too much like a James Bond film for me. There wasn't really a mystery, just lots of action pieces strung together with a loose series of events. Easily the worst episode of the show to date.

Killing Mary was the best thing the show could have done. Her inclusion was what seemed to change the show into something more unbelievable.
    Read this article earlier that can say everything I thought about this episode far better than I ever could:
    Sherlock is slowly and perversely morphing into Bond. This cannot stand

awakeohsleeper and beachdude42 like this.
  14. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I didn't know this was back! Poop!

15. imthegrimace

Why is this not on demand??

16. Colby Searcy

coleslawed likes this.
  17. imthegrimace

Colby Searcy likes this.
  18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Good stuff, bummer there's so much dislike in here for the episode

19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

The new episode is the bummer, the reaction is pretty appropriate

JM95 likes this.
  20. StevenW92

Regular

This episode was wonderful. Much closer to typical Sherlock than last week. Major plot point in the spoiler so I'd avoid if you haven't watched yet.

My unanswered question from the last episode regarding the flashback was cleared up.

Also slightly confused about how Sherlock's sister managed to avoid being noticed by Mycroft and his whilst they were walking around London.

It was quite predictable that Sherlock had purposefully put himself in a position where John would have to save him. I did enjoy Johns story throughout the episode, though it does seem everyone on the show is always two steps ahead of John.

Something spectacular must happen next week. Really feels like it could be the shows final episode.

coleslawed likes this.
  21. Greg

So, has the whole "Miss me?" thing been her this whole time?
    Big improvement over last week. Can't wait for next week.

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I think this episode kind of redeemed the first one for me. I love how the theme throughout the first was broken promises (Sherlock broke his vow, John's 'text affair' broke his marriage promises, Mary etc. and the second episode focussed on confession (Culverton wanted to confess the killings throughout, Sherlock wanted to confess his responsibility, John ultimately needed to confess his 'text affair' etc..

I also liked how it again explored Sherlock's drug addiction as referenced in the original novels.

And finally, I thought Mrs Hudson was fantastic in this episode.

coleslawed likes this.
  23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

That was what I was left thinking.

24. JM95

Trusted

Came round to the episode by the end. For about half an hour, I was thinking about what an embarrassing mess it was but there was some really interesting progression so we'll see what happens next week, especially with that final reveal.

Mrs Hudson was great. "You're not my first smackhead."

25. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Miss Me?

Acronym: Mycroft, Irene (Adler), Sherlock, Sherrinford, Moriarty, Euros.

All names mentioned in this series now. Could be something, could be nothing.