Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Shazam! (David F. Sandberg; April 5, 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Jul 16, 2018.

1. michael_gatto

Trusted

I really loved this. Both Levi and Angel are excellent. This also actually made me tear up which surprised me.

2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

This was fun

3. Really enjoyed this. Genuinely funny, good characters, and some surprising moments. My crowd was into it more than I thought they'd be.

4. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I feel like there was a good movie in here but it got buried beneath utterly horrible direction and length, one of the worst shot movies I've seen in a while. The plot didn't really click for me either. It was kind of funny though and had a nice message I guess??

y2jayjk and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  5. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I didn’t really feel the length here. But I do think more movies should be shooting for just over 90 minutes rather than over 2 hours.

Kingjohn_654 and Davjs like this.
  6. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Ehhhh. There’s like a half hour of this, in which Shazam is on screen, that’s really enjoyable. But the rest felt like such a chore, just the worst kind of comic movie with an awful villain plot. Ehhhh

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  7. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

that last fight goes on for sooooooooooooooooooooooo long.

Zilla and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I said it before but I think the big whiff on this is making the villain so one note. There's one point where Shazam and he face off in the wizard's lair where the bad guy talks about not feeling good enough as a child and Shazam basically says "Me too!" There could have been some decent exploration about the similarities between both of them. But instead, it's another DC punchfest.
    That said, the kids touching the staff and saying "Billy!" instead of "Shazam!" got a huge laugh. Perfectly-timed joke right there.

9. I laughed a lot more in this movie than most superhero movies that try to be humorous.

Hadouken absolutely killed me

BornToRun and Zilla like this.
  10. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

I really liked everything with Levi but it's fairly generic origin story outside of him and the marvel family, which was a twist I was not expecting [/spoiler} But, it is too precious at times and the first and third acts are a bit of a struggle.

Still I liked it well enough, won't be revisiting it anytime soon I imagine.

11. Wow this was so much fun and it was so fucking hilarious

12. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

This was great outside of the villain, which was pretty bleh. Shazam/Billy and Freddy's dynamic was so much fun that it more than made up for whatever flaws the villain plot had IMO

13. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

So do we agree this is a Christmas movie?

Nyquist and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

This was enjoyable but just way too long.

Zilla likes this.
  15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I can't completely decide how I felt about this. I at least liked everything in it; even the elements I've heard criticized worked for me. And, some elements were excellent. But, without knowing what I'd cut, I do think this felt a little long. Maybe spend less time w/ Sivana? I liked the parallels in spite of 'em not being really explored, but I would've been happy w/ him getting the Ronan treatment, where you briefly get what he's about but mostly just let him be a tool for comic-book-y action.

The humor really worked consistently for me. My brother compared this to Deadpool, which is a comparison I've seen a couple times online, but I think the best comparison is Iron Man 3. Maybe with a little Guardians. It's too sincere for Deadpool to be a good comparison, though.

More than the humor, I loved the family dynamic. That's totally the film's strongest suit & something I'd like to see more of going forward, especially now that they made the great decision to give all the kids powers in the third act (instead of a sequel). Granted, fostering & adoption are easy ways to get me invested due to my family background, lol.

Going back to IM3, I do like that this can join that & Batman Returns as far as holiday superhero films are concerned. IM3 will probably still be my annual go to, but this wouldn't be an awful background video while wrapping gifts or something.

coleslawed likes this.
  16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

The first and last 20 minutes or so could be trimmed

Dodger likes this.
  17. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Best DC movie since pre-Man of Steel. Great fun, hilarious, the kids were all excellent, Levi was perfect, it was exactly what I hoped it would be. Loved it.

BornToRun likes this.
  18. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Literally nowhere near as good as Wonder Woman.

thenewmatthewperry, ship90 and Zilla like this.
  19. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Adam Brody was definitely a clever piece of stunt casting.

20. Dodge725

Trusted

I thought this was good, but it’s stuck at both extremes. The stuff with him becoming a hero and realizing who his family is was perfect and I could watch it for days. Everything with Sivana was terrible and brought the movie down. I really disliked that his powers were basically Black Adam lite instead of being an evil super genius since BA is going to show up eventually and feel repetitive. I think this movie had great characters and heart but the story they were placed in was really bad, just like Aquaman, but this movie wasn’t as plot heavy so it didn’t kill the movie for me like it did Aquaman.

Question on the Marvel Family stuff: are we to believe they each have just one power or is it that they just discovered one right away and will get the full set later? That’s really dumb if they each just get one besides Billy. And what was Mary’s cause she didn’t use any powers at all during the fight?

21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Wonder Woman did not end strong at all, the last like 35 minutes of the movie really brought it down. This was strong throughout. Wonder Woman is still really good though.

22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Good on Djimon Hounsou for being in both this and Captain Marvel.

coleslawed and michael_gatto like this.
  23. michael_gatto

Trusted

Saw this a second time today after work. I love it so much.

24. tvck

Trusted

[​IMG]

currytheword and michael_gatto like this.
  25. tvck

Trusted

I loved the movie. The Marvel family was a great thing to add, especially with how they developed the foster family parts of the movie. And +1 vote for being a Christmas movie!