Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Shazam! (David F. Sandberg; April 5, 2019) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

trailer monday

Kingjohn_654 and Jason Tate like this.
  2. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

3. Serh Mar 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 4, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

dope

4. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Oh my god this just looks so fun.

5. Serh Mar 5, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 5, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Looks like I'm seeing this a week from tomorrow. I'm very happy, especially since WB screening this so early sounds like they're confident in this film

mike1885 likes this.
  6. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

That's exciting.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

That's good. Or at least, it is if Shazam really is up to snuff and it's not just a bunch of people stoked off seeing the movie so far ahead of time (it's still four weeks away!). Sorry, I'm trying really hard to make sure I don't jump the gun myself (not that they all are necessarily)

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  11. Serh Mar 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 13, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This was good, not great. Some noticeable flaws and a few things feeling out of place. For one, I feel like they never quite explain why Billy is the purest or whatever makes him most deserving of the powers he gets

Regardless, it's still a pretty effective crowdpleaser and I'm satisfied knowing the DC universe is in a better place something like this can be decent and still a step down from Wonder Woman or Aquaman. Nice to see a more comedic, lower-stakes superhero movie done arguably better than what we've seen in the Ant-Man movies

12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

jkauf and Joe like this.
  13. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Caught an early screening of this tonight. Highly entertaining while remaining surprisingly grounded, and has its own unique charm that wins you over. Third act is a little dragged out, but still has enough humor to keep you engaged. The elements I expected to be campy actually work, which I credit to hiring a horror director. Example: the boardroom scene.

Darla steals the movie for sure. I do have one quibble: Mark Strong is a one-note villain IMO; his character doesn’t really have any stakes other than what he first demands upon meeting Billy as Shazam. You never fully understand what he’s been through since the prologue, so it comes off as rather senseless and sociopathic without ever fully exploring his obsession in detail. I’m unfamiliar with the source material though, so maybe someone else can shed light on this.

But hey, no giant sky lasers.

14. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

This movie is by far the best from DC since Nolan's trilogy.

15. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

It was okay, heart is in the right place and had fun.

thedrudo likes this.
  16. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I have a handful of complaints but nothing too fatal. Had quite a bit of fun overall.

jkauf likes this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This guy is corny as hell, but does a really good job of explaining the character's history and some of the questionable elements of his past.

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Thought this was really well done, even if it's a little long. Levi and the younger cast are perfect. The humor hits pretty much every time. Pretty well paced. The villain is definitely one note and they really seemed to want to push the subject of being abused or abandoned as a child, but backed off at the last minute.

Basically, it's a lot of fun.

19. Seeing this on thurs. Expecting a fun time but nothing mind-blowing.

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

That sounds right

21. drewinseries

Drew

Two tix for sunday afternoon after the fiance and I "Maria Kondo" our home.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I totally forgot that I'm seeing this tonight. What a nice surprise to remember.

23. Seeing this tonight too and looking forward to it. FYI, apparently there's a mid- and post-credits scene.

24. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

Can confirm. Saw this during the early screening a couple weeks ago. Very enjoyable.

Joe likes this.
  25. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

This was pretty solid. Fun and lots of heart.