Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Shaun Cooper and John Nolan on No Brown M&Ms Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. maxracer

such a fan of these two bro-skies

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So they're playing the new record in its entirety on their fall tour? Bold move.

4. schackbr

Regular

whoa. playing Tidal Wave in whole then a second set.

i love that this band just does whatever they want.

5. ncarrab Jul 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 28, 2016)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'd have no problem with them doing that (so long as Tidal Wave is as good as I expect it to be) but I could see them pissing a LOT of fans off by doing that. Judging by the last 4 or 5 TBS shows I've been to over the past 3 or 4 years, it's pretty clear that most people attend their shows looking for their old stuff and don't really know much about the new stuff, which is a shame.

Penguin likes this.
  6. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Playing Tidal Wave in full makes me want to go to this tour even more. This is one of the only elder bands in this scene that aren't afraid to rely on their newer material.

SayHello, Penguin and Davjs like this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah agreed! I've seen them twice in the last few years and I remember they opened with Stood a Chance first (which I thought was awesome) and it was dead in the crowd. Then Cute came on and it exploded. The second time they just opened with Cute like they knew than to open with a new song. It's a shame, their last few albums have been just as good as anything they've done.

8. schackbr

Regular

i agree to an extent. i've seen them 30+ times and it depends on the song. people tend to react pretty well to a lot of the cuts from Happiness Is & TBS (Stood a Chance, Better Homes And Gardens, Faith). It's when they dive deep into those albums that people don't react as well.

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Stood a Chance is a great song and Happiness Is.. is criminally underrated. I didn't care much for the reunion record other than a few songs (Faith, Mom, This is All Now, Call me). I saw them in May of 2014 when they opened up with Stood a Chance then that fall they opened up with Flicker Fade, which was a much better opener imo (especially when it leads in from the instrumental intro they played for both of those shows).

Penguin and Davjs like this.
  10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Personally, I love it. I don't mind either way. I'm just going off what I see around me at the other shows. A few years ago I saw them and they opened up with El Paso and the crowd seemed super confused. At the end Adam was yelling at fans to get out of their seats because they were still sitting down (which is inexcusable to be sitting during the main act).

11. Davjs

Trusted

Faith is one of the only songs from them I do not like, same with Liar Liar. I know I'm in the minority, but I wish those two weren't staples in their set. Flicker is would be an epic opener.

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

That cheesy cat video that they made for Faith kind of ruined the song a little bit for me, but I still find it enjoyable. Surprised it was a bigger hit for them as it was a pretty radio friendly song.

13. Rude, maybe, but they paid for tickets. If people want to sit, they can sit. Maybe they're tired. Maybe they weren't there for the headliner. Maybe they have a disability. Maybe they just didn't feel like standing. I get what you're saying but I don't buy "inexcusable".

14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I mean, I was joking a bit when I went as far as 'inexcusable.' Obviously there are a plethora of excuses. The point was, the crowd wasn't into the new stuff, to the point where Adam yelled "you motherfuckers better stand up" or something to that effect.

15. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Dude, I'm 6ft 4 and I love sitting in the seated area to see a show. That, and there's always someone smaller standing behind me that probably appreciates it haha. Sitting in the GA area is inexcusable though.

Davjs likes this.
  16. Ahh gotcha, haha sorry jokes don't translate well via solely text.

Davjs likes this.
  17. Dlmgmario

No Seattle date on their tour :(

18. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

Did they dive into anything about Straylight at all? Missed opportunity if not.

Hearing that they're playing Tidal Wave in full makes me want to buy tickets less than I previously did. I was tentatively excited to hear they were playing a long set, but i was hoping a "long set" meant a lot of deep cuts from the discog. Like, maybe I'd be able to finally hear a New Again song live or something. Maybe it'll be a deep cuts tour as well, who knows.

Davjs likes this.
  19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Podcast was shockingly short. Like 8 minutes. I went into it thinking it'd be an hour. Really nothing of note they talked about other than John saying the plan was to play Tidal Wave in its entirety.

20. SayHello

Regular

Such a bold move and I love it. I wish that bands that are still around from the earlier 2000s pop-punk / emo wave who are still consistently releasing new music played it more often at shows.

clockwise likes this.