Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Share Your Desktop • Page 4

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 20, 2016.

1. I just noticed that all of my devices have Spiderman as the wallpaper.. so I decided to switch some things up Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 5.47.31 PM.png

Jason Tate and airik625 like this.
  2. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

Did you put that together yourself or find it online? Very cool.

(Also, how do you insert images in to comments - keeps showing as an attachment for me)

3. I just dragged the image into the text box

4. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I wish I was the one who put that together! Haha.

I believe I attached it and it just shows the image? Or what @Christian Romero said. I can't recall which I did.

Christian Romero likes this.
  5. What's everyone's dock look like?

Do you keep it clean? In a specific order? Or just all over the place? Hidden/shown. Side of the screen or bottom?

6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

This is mine: Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-02-23 22.39.29.png

Setapp folder will be going away soon since I just opted for the trial. But otherwise I have a little method to my madness sometimes. Usuals with finder/safari/music then productivity, reeder to consume all the articles (or save to instapaper and take forever to read), writing, twitter/messaging apps, and then I'm not sure why I keep the app store in the doc haha. Also, doc is on the bottom and visible.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Bottom, most commonly used applications because I keep hardly anything on my actual desktop so for ease of app access, i go there.

I have 20 apps there, so if that's clean or not idk.

8. Always on the side. It just feels to have apps like safari go to the bottom of the screen. I like to keep mine pretty clean. I have safari, school stuff like pages and Evernote and then Apple Music and the App Store and that's about it haha. Maybe like 10 ish apps.

What about you??

9. RyanNevill

Graphic Designer

Work Mac is at the Bottom, Auto-Hide, medium size, no rollover mag. Just the dots for when an app is running.
    Only have everyday apps on it, Adobe Suite, spotify, email client, toggl time tracker.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. I hide the dock on the bottom. I like having the extra screen real estate and got used to doing it on my MacBook and realized I like it better. I launch most apps using Alfred and the keyboard I realized anyway.

My dock is pretty minimal:

[​IMG]

Safari, then communication (Mail, Twitter, iMessage, Slack), then productivity (omnifocus, textmate, readkit, spillo), then "work" (coda, pixalmator), and then music. I really only keep the apps I use every single day in the dock, and then I launch apps via Alfred or custom keyboard maestro templates when I need them. So, if it's a "time to work on coding" moment, I'll run the keyboard maestro macro I have that launches Coda, Safari, SourceTree, Taskpaper, Terminal, Focus, xScope and moves all of the windows to the locations I like them best.

I'm just always fascinated to see other people's work environments. What kinda taskbar apps they have, when they use them, and how they navigate the system.

11. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I tried to do the all round icons and could never get all of them to stay that way. Jealous haha.

12. They change when apps update, but that's relatively infrequently - I just change them back.

I use LiteIcon to do it quickly and change multiple ones when I need to, and just keep my basic default icons for all those apps in a folder on Dropbox.

13. Ah cool! Yea I always find it interesting. I like hearing new things to try and see if I like them myself

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah that's what I was using. Every time I open Reeder though it switches to the original icon. I'll have to try it out again.

Also, just got this when I went to open LiteIcon:
    OS X El Capitan introduced a new security policy preventing LiteIcon from changing any system icon.

So I guess no changing that Finder icon haha. Might have to take it off then.

15. To change the system icons, you have to disable "system integrity protection" -- which is their little fancy thing they introduced. It's relatively easy to disable for five minutes, change the icon, and then put it back in place. You only need to do it during when the entire OS updates and it'll let you change iTunes/Safari/Finder.

Reboot, hold down command-R to boot into the Recovery System. Click the Utilities menu and select Terminal. Type "csrutil disable" (no quotes) and press return. Reboot.

Change icons.

Reboot. Hold command-R again, do the same thing but type: csrutil enable. Reboot. All done.

Weird about Reeder, I wonder if it was updating in the background or something. Hmm.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'll have to try that.

And yeah, I even tried taking the original icons out of the resources section and replacing, but that just left me with no icon at all when I open it. And putting them back in there didn't work either so I'm gonna have to delete and download that one again haha.

17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@Jason Tate so with Reeder and Fantastical it looks like they use 2-3 different icons. Fantastical has the blank one to show the current date when it's open and when I tried to add both into the resources folder in package contents, the app wouldn't open anymore. For Reeder, it has the mac icon, an empty, and a full icon. I have it so that it only switches when there are items in Reeder. Still trying to figure that one out hah. So here's what I have the dock as currently: Dropbox - Screenshot 2017-02-26 15.49.07.png

Decided to take Fantastical out since I don't actually use it every day. My laptop froze when doing the second set of reboots so I'm probably gonna have to redo those to enable the security thing again. But either way, much nicer now haha.

18. Peachfuzz

I'll be with you the whole way.

Very, very interested to see everyone's docks.

Here's mine but I'd like to make it new somehow:

[​IMG]

19. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

tor is the one next to firefox. gog, itch, and gamejolt launchers cause im an indie nerd lol

Capture.PNG

20. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

upload_2017-3-1_19-57-25.png
    not too much rhyme or reason to mine. sort of have daily/heavy use ones clumped left, schoolwork clumped right, and everything else in the middle

21. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I've got a BoJack Horseman background on my work computer right now.

Also I need to clean up my desktop.

upload_2017-3-7_15-4-49.png

redwing91007 likes this.
  22. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

that ep remains one of the darkest (read: best) places the show has gone

omgrawr likes this.
  23. I started to try hiding the dock so I can have extra screen space on my MacBook and have learned that that's definitely the way to go.

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. I agree. I like the screen real estate for when I got my windows all over going crazy.

25. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I'm going to give this a try, too. I feel like I'm always accidentally hitting apps when the dock is shown anyway.

Christian Romero and Jason Tate like this.