Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Shang-Chi & The Legend of the Ten Rings (September 3, 2021, Destin Daniel Cretton) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by GBlades, May 15, 2019.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The guy they cast is fucking ripped

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Dustin Cretton? Hm

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I am so ready for Simu Liu to become the next MCU stud

4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Will ScarJo be in this?!!!

5. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

These motherfuckers cast one of the best actors alive to play the mandarin

Just when I thought I’d never want them to do the mandarin after (controversially) loving what they did with him in IM3 they bring me back in...

Smh

6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’m excited to see how the Mandarin is portrayed. He needs to feel like a massive threat after how long the Ten Rings have been involved in the MCU. Hopefully Shang-Chi doesn’t end him in one film. I’m also curious how they will handle the Mandarin’s Ten Rings. They could easily be seen as too similar to Infinity Stones by audiences.

7. SkyGrowsBigger Jul 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 22, 2019)
    SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

So my friend just got cast as an Avenger... I've known Simu for ten years, went to school with him and we played on a rec volleyball team together after graduating for 5 years or so up until he started getting busy with his show Kim's Convenience. He's incredibly hard-working and talented and a great choice for this role. Couldn't have chosen a better guy to lead the charge for more diverse leads in Hollywood.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. Anthony_

coleslawed and ghostedaway like this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I would love more casting announcements and we should get those anytime now due to the fact that principal photography is preparing to start.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

lol I was thinking "I hope Awkwafina is in this" and didn't look at the first post.

12. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

13. Wouldn't be surprised if Tony Leung Chiu-wai was in this. He's huge in China.

14. Anthony_

he is in this, he's playing the Mandarin

aliens exist likes this.
  15. I'm an idiot lol

16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Pretty fascinating leak concerning the plot and Awkwafina’s role.

An alien spaceship landed in China hundreds of years ago. The ship was powered by the Ten Rings, magical relics that all serve a different purpose. The rings were looted by a secret society known as the Avatars, which is led by a wise martial artist simply called the Ancestor. The Ancestor wore the rings and used them to become an expert fighter.

The Mandarin grew up hearing about the ancestor’s story and was fascinated by it, despite everyone else believing it was just a myth. He began to idolize the Ancestor, and devoted his life to finding the rings. This inspired him to form his own mafia, which is the Ten Rings gang. Basically, the point of the gang is look for the rings all around the world. He adopted his niece, Fah Lo Suee (Awkwafina) and taught her martial arts.

After years of investigation, he discovers that the legend of the ten rings are real, and that the Ancestor is dying. There was a leak a little while back that Shang-Chi is a tournament film, and that’s actually true. When the Ancestor dies, the Avatars will run a secret tournament/kung-fu trial in which the winner will be granted the rings. The Mandarin is too old to compete, and he doesn’t want to risk Fah Lo Suee’s life. That’s where Shang-Chi is going to come in.

Shang is a street urchin who meets the Mandarin after he starts dating Fah. The Mandarin takes a liking in Shang and starts training him as his apprentice. His first task, as an act of gang initiation, is to kill Trevor for impersonating the Mandarin. People speculated that they would be related, but it will be more of a Walter White/Jesse Pinkman dynamic.

When the tournament begins, the Mandarin will send Shang to win and get the rings for him. That’ll be the basic gist of the film pretty much. I know that defeating Fin Fang Foom will be an obstacle. Leiko Wu and Clive Reston will be in the movie as SHIELD agents who are investigating the Ten Rings gang. Shang-Chi will obviously betray the Mandarin and become a hero over the course of the film. He will get the ability to create multiple duplicates of himself. It will be an ‘Orphan Black’ situation, where each clone of himself has their own personality. So the fights will obviously be insane to witness.

Marvel is casting Shang’s enemies in the tournament, and one of them will be a character named Chao.

mike1885 likes this.
  17. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

If true, I'm delighted that he is getting the duplicating ability from Hickman's Avengers run, which I don't think was ever referenced again.

18. Anthony_

Should update the thread title huh

19. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Has Fin Fang Foom been previously confirmed, ‘cause a visually comics accurate adaptation would absolutely rule & be reason enough to see this on the big screen.

Also, as much as I’ll argue ‘til I die that Iron Man 3 rules & made the right choice w/ the Mandarin fake out, I do find myself randomly hoping for a battle in a future film between this proper Mandarin & Rhodey. Not in a Shang-Chi film or as the climax of an Avengers or Iron Man or whatever film, but just as a fun battle w/ the energy of a classic Iron Man comic. One of the few failings of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a fleshed out sandbox to play in (separate from discussions of creative approaches, etc.) is that we don’t have a big cast of established villains to pop in & out of stories. Though, the Big 2’s comics have arguably also lost the art of telling simple, fun stories that aren’t “important.”

20. GBlades

Trusted

Done, I am NOT good at keeping on top of those.

21. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Finally something to prove that the cameras are actually rolling on this

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

pushed back to may 7th

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It will be interesting to see an unknown like Shang-Chi get a prime time summer release.

24. Edited the thread title