Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Shameless TV Show • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by bd007h, Mar 31, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

nothin but love for the sheriff!! haha

imthesheriff likes this.
  2. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I love lip but he’s such a crybaby when it comes to not having sex

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I woke up insanely early this morning so I finally had time to catch up on this. I’m curious what’s going on with Ian. I thought he was going to tell Fiona he had HIV or something

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I felt the same way

5. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I wish they could have done without the Frank punching the little girl scene. Just nothing funny about that for me

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. irthesteve

Just caught up, season's been fun so far!

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Good for her. Catch that shit before it becomes totally ingrained in you

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

back September 9th

imthesheriff likes this.
  10. irthesteve

Am I crazy or does this show have one of the faster turnarounds from season to season?

imthesheriff likes this.
  11. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

You are crazy but yes they do.

irthesteve likes this.
  12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah it's pretty crazy

imthesheriff likes this.
  13. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I love it though because I love this show.

14. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Season 8 is on netflix now

15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

bd007h and young&menace like this.
  16. irthesteve

Damn, that sucks

bd007h likes this.
  17. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

so, i have been binging this for the first time, and i’m almost done with season eight... man the quality dropped right off a cliff.

loved everything prior, but this show is beginning to feel like Grey’s Anatomy in that 80% of the characters arcs revolve around their dynamic with love interest #100. they completely dropped the (very bad) Kev’s inbred family beat in exchange for an equally bad dominatrix plot that marginalizes Svetlana who is one of the best characters. Lipp’s love triangle stuff is really weak compared to the AA stuff that really shined the first half of the season. Carl is experiencing the exact same “young love vs. military school” plot he had with the cop’s daughter before leaving. Debbie sucks.

Ian’s arc is the only one that feels dynamic or fitting at all, other than maybe Fiona’s which slipped right back into relationship bullshit with Ford who i think is just the worst.

my biggest gripe is some characters seem to suffer from the writing staff’s inability to write them into a successful place in life. Lipp bombing out of college entirely still bugs me. Frank trying to be a good person/parent/member of the workforce and struggling with it could have had great legs, but by mid season he’s back to smuggling over the border. they nailed it with Fiona, though.

idk. maybe i should finish the last couple before writing it off but it’s gonna take a miracle to wrap this up in a way that feels like... anything happened.

Davjs likes this.
  18. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Nah, bro

19. irthesteve

the most recent season was great

20. Shrek

to each their own. easily my least favorite.

Davjs likes this.
  21. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I’m fine saying this isn’t really a *good* show and it’s repetitive and often dumb but it’s kept me consistently entertained for 8 years or so so i dig it

imthesheriff likes this.
  22. Shrek

yeah, i love the show, and even loved the first half of this season. just feels like they hit the reset button hard midway in. i def consider it a genuinely good show.

23. Shrek

maybe it’s a symptom of binging the whole show over two months idk

I Am Mick likes this.
  24. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Finished Season 8 recently. Ian and Debbie are still easily my least favorites. Surprised at how much Frank improved as a character.

25. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm so blind to flaws once I love a show haha if you get in like 2-4 really good seasons and I get hooked in, then I'll be so forgiving if it gets a little weaker later on.

Also I feel like especially in the streaming age, it's very difficult to both keep a show going and have it move forward in meaningful ways. The Gallagher's can't be written into a place of success (not yet anyway), because if they are, then there's really not a show left. That's why they give us small victories (Lip going into college) and then sometimes take them away (Lip getting kicked out of college). And I think that works better when you are watching the show over years rather than all together in one sitting because you get to sit and revel in the victories a little longer, and it feels more realistic that things would fall apart because that happens in life. But when you watch it all close together it's more noticeable how repetitive it is.

To truly be a "great" show, writers really have to decide in advance how long the show is going to be and cut it off there regardless of how popular the show is when that end date comes (Breaking Bad being the most obvious example). But for a show like Shameless, I'm ok making some concessions to the storyline to keep it going a while longer because I really just want to keep spending time with the characters.

imthesheriff and Shrek like this.