Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Shaky Knees Festival 2019 Tour

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by heywassuphello, Nov 14, 2018.

1. heywassuphello

spare only the ones I love

[​IMG]

2. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Excited to see Foals on this. Their camp has been really quiet lately, especially since announcing their bass player/founding member left the band.

3. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

BAD BOOKS

natefoundglory likes this.
  4. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

MEH

5. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Solid enough line-up. I wouldn't travel for it, but it's consistent with what they've brought to the table the last few years... Interesting that they're announcing so early.

Wonder if they're trying to lock people down earlier this year.

6. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Yeah, if I lived in Georgia, I'd definitely go, but it's nothing I'd travel for, especially after just seeing so many of the bands I would watch at Riot Fest.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  7. Mason

Regular

Not super impressed with line up. Wouldn't make the 4 hour trip to go. A handful of bands I wouldn't mind seeing but not a single one that I feel I need to see.

8. manoverboard365

Trusted

Solid lineup. Not something I would normally travel for, but now that one of my good friends moved to ATL I may hit visit and hit this up.

9. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

I will see y’all nerds there, the headliners are meh besides tame impala but there’s enough there for me to crash at my parents house and see bad books, foxing and foals. Still no idea why they announced so early, but I’m not gonna complain

Helloelloallo and redwing91007 like this.
  10. heywassuphello

spare only the ones I love

I saw on Facebook that Tim (organizer of shaky) commented on a reply saying that they announced earlier to get on a 6 month sales cycle or something.

11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Figured it was something like that. They're also announcing well ahead of most other spring/summer/fall festivals, which could see more people travelling to attend this one.

I was a little surprised they didn't have any major "gets" that would look exclusive for the next few months (i.e., a rare band that might have a tour in the works for 2019 and this would be the first date announced) that would drive sales.

12. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Maybe this is not my place to point out, but I was immediately a little skeeved by the all-male mostly-whiteness of those first couple lines. Sure this is a cool festival but diversify your headliners y’all

13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

They somehow made a less appealing line up than last year.

14. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

If you went to Riot Fest, the top line(s) should be extremely MEH. I've noticed that they tend to go more mainstream artists/pop in even years and odd years they lean more towards rock/hard rock.

15. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, there's a lot of Riot run-off on the top 1/3 of the bill. If I lived in the area, I'd probably be going to this whether I attended Riot Fest or not. It's a decent bill. Not worth travelling for IMO, but if Boston Calling has a similar set of headliners and direct support acts? I'd be on-board.

The undercard is decent too, but the highlights aren't as "highlighty" to me... But they never really are at festivals of this ilk, save for a band or two.

16. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

It's a perfectly acceptable place to mention this and I'm interested to know more of your thoughts. I go to a concert to have a good time, not to fill out any diversity squares courtesy of the performing artists. I am becoming more conscious of things like that in media (movies and tv shows) because I think the message is stronger when you exclude, or only include certain demographics in your stories. For music, if I look at a festival lineup and go 'holy shit that shreds, I'll have a kick ass time' I'm going to buy a ticket and go enjoy myself and don't notice much beyond that. Until you said anything, I didn't have any epiphany about the makeup of the lineup in regards to race and color. I just said I like that band, and that band, and that band, down the list.

17. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Also, they split their bookings into two festivals: one that is rock/hard rock/pop and another that is EDM/hip hop. It's so that they hopefully can give fans of those genres a lineup full of acts they like versus one they only 1/2 like (especially considering they have fewer stages than other majors).

With that, obviously hip hop has far more African American artists as rock n roll still tends to have less. This will lead to some lineups at shaky looking pretty white. Women, on the other hand, it's a little weird how male the lineup is.

18. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Bumping this as I want predictions for next year! I know we're only a few weeks out but predictions? I'm thinking maybe just maybe my chemical romance? Way out there prediction, rage but probably too big... vampire weekend? the 1975? I see milky chance being an undercard, maybe spoon as well. i'd like Foals again for the pt 2 album but twice in a row? I don't see it... The growlers? I'm trying to think of legit headline acts but I don't have any hints.

I saw some rumors too about King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard and the strokes but I don't know why people think those.

19. Rusty_Shackleford

Regular

Nine Inch Nails * The Strokes * Thom Yorke
    Modest Mouse * Death Cab For Cutie * Jimmy Eat World
    Delta Spirit * Refused * Brittany Howard * The Hives

something like that maybe?

20. manoverboard365

Trusted

That's too amazing of a top 6. I'd lower expectations a bit.

21. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

We'll find out tomorrow at 10!

22. bkaeser93

Trusted

Rumors are it’s The Killers/The Strokes/My Morning Jacket as headliners.

23. manoverboard365

Trusted

Holy shit, this lineup is amazing

[​IMG]

24. manoverboard365

Trusted

All three headliners are solid, plussss that friggin undercard!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Portugal the Man, LIAM GALLAGHER, AVA, Royal Blood, Phoebe Bridgers, Front Bottoms, Snail Mail, The Darkness, Joan Jett, Of Monsters and Men.....damn this would be a fun weekend. Might have to get a crew together and head down.

25. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Solid but not great. I got my tattoo 2 years ago and registered it, so it's free for me so I can't really complain, there's enough there to keep me entertained. It'd have to be a horrible lineup for me not to make an appearance at no cost. I am bummed there's no Milky Chance though, I really for sure thought they'd be an undercard. They were amazing at the late night show a few years ago.

Beyond the headliners, I'm excited for PTM, Brittany Howard, The Growelers & slenderbodies. And excited to dig into all the acts I've never listened to before.