Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Shad - A Short Story About A War (October 26, 2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jul 9, 2018.

1. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

happy to have him back, this is just what I needed.

2. Yep this is awesome. All of the Fool tracks are so so great

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

stellar album

5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This is so fucking good, to nobody's surprise.

6. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

didn't know what to watch last night so I threw on an episode of Hip Hop Evolution and to my surprise it's hosted by Shad, had no idea. really well-done doc series if anyone's interested.

irthesteve and trevorshmevor like this.
  7. irthesteve

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  8. irthesteve

Leftandleaving likes this.
  9. irthesteve

New album incoming Oct 1!

HEY!

I’ll get right to it: My next album is DONE and it’s coming October 1st.

It’s called TAO, and in short, it’s about wholeness. It’s about a sense of connection within ourselves and with the outside world. It’s about the connection between those two types of connection! And it’s about the forces that oppose connection too.
    [​IMG]

TAO refers to the Chinese philosophy of naturalism and is also an acronym drawn from CS Lewis’ 1943 book, The Abolition Of Man, that discusses The Tao. The TAO acronym is also found in The Age Of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff, another very influential book for me in the writing process. It was actually reading Zuboff’s text that made me remember and revisit the Lewis book. I was inspired thinking about how the two books were written something like 70 years apart but totally connect on the topic of preserving our humanity against certain threatening ideologies and technologies. I wanted the album title to reflect that connection and also speak to a deep, ineffable spiritual reality.

If that all sounds a bit heady, I’m glad to say this album has more joy and movement in it than probably any that I’ve ever made! I tried to put some humour in every song—something I didn’t get to do on A Short Story About A War and missed putting in my music.

In case you missed the first couplesingles, here they are below! Shout out Ric Notes, pHoenix Pagliacci, Skratch Bastid, and Big Kill for putting their beautiful fingerprints to these jawns.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here’s a brand new single out TODAY that is straight-up one of the wildest tracks I’ve put together. Heavily-inspired by 70’s music (think Marvin Gaye, The Last Poets, The Staples Singers, Jimi Hendrix), it’s a genre-less collab with pHoenix Pagliacci, Jane’s Party, and former Parliamentary Poet of Canada, George Elliott Clarke. The song started with a chorus I heard in a dream and I think it speaks to something happening in our collective unconscious.
    [​IMG]

So that’s my news! Thanks for reading. I love y’all for rocking with me. It’s such a joy to put this new music into t

ghostedaway, OhTheWater and Slangster like this.
  10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Fuck. Yes.

ghostedaway likes this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

hell yeah. wish it were sooner.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. irthesteve

don't worry, its only 3 days away

Henry likes this.
  13. irthesteve

14. irthesteve

TAO is really, really good and feels like a return to form. The last album was lyrically deep and important, but musically it never worked for me. This album is damn good, definitely feels like he got out the darkness he wanted to with the last album and this is upbeat and fun again

15. irthesteve

This is great