Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexual Harassment Pervades New Jersey’s Local Music Scene • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 7, 2018.

1. RyanPm40 and clucky like this.
  2. sdub8686

Nice dodge. It's really a shame to see how politically radical this site has become. Some of the shit I read on here feels like it's straight from The Onion. I wish all of you well!

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

4. clucky

Trusted Supporter

lol imagine deciding to spend your evening white knighting for ben fucking shapiro.

swboyd, dadbolt, DarkHotline and 2 others like this.
  5. chris

Trusted Supporter

Christina Hoff Sommers is a transphobic piece of shit. Transphobia incites violence against trans individuals

6. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

so like you understand that you're saying... side one: has been violent to side two, has "shut down" speakers and threatens free speech apparently. and is going to lead to.....what?
    side two: are literal nazis....is going to lead to....well, I think all know how this one ends????? so like? how is whatever future you're fearing for side one somehow worse than side two????

St. Nate likes this.
  7. I’m not dodging. There’s zero point in engaging with a question that doesn’t understand the basics of the situation, is clearly motivated to not understand the situation, and is only looking to react as you’ve predictably reacted. I’ve seen it so many times it should be a cliche. If you ever wanna actually talk about anti-facism, come to the political thread and ask. But don’t come in with this attitude or bad faith and expect any actual conversation.

Oh. K. I ran a punk website for 15 years, like this has been a part of me and I’ve written about it since I was a teenager and one of the top three things I’ve talked about online. And it’s a shame that in 2018, with everything going on in this country and world ... you consider political activism bad. It speaks of zero moral character and an ethical bankruptcy that should embarrass you.

mercury and Zip It Chris like this.
  8. Eclipse

Regular

the invasion is true I was the bike lock

anyway on the article, while this definitely isn't an issue exclusive to new jersey (and I don't believe that was what the article was trying to say) it's being talked about because of a growing focus on that music scene. The biggest thing I can say as someone who has performed, worked with/in venues, and been a fan is to actively patron and show up when artists who don't fall into the cis male category are playing (i.e. if they are supporting and you only know the headliner, come out early), when audience members and specifical men in the audience try to shout their "witty" but often times annoying at best/creepy at worst comments tell them to shut up and watch. If you're a performer or artist active in the NJ scene or any music scene, boost the voices of those who've experienced harassment and abuse when they have decided to be public about it, if they have decided based off their experiences to blacklist a venue or promoter or another performer, do the same in solidarity. Venues should look to diversify their staff (not just with gender obviously) as having more people working the venue that directly understand the experience will make those affected by prejudice more comfortable in speaking up, as they know they are more likely to be heard and believed.

9. littlejohn

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes we should fight radicalism by not fighting radicalism. Should work out great!

10. chris

Trusted Supporter

wHy WoNt YoU DeBAte Us? Fucking coward

11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yes it’s a travesty that people won’t let Ben Shapiro espouse ideas that have been widely discredited over and over again for literal decades

12. In the last two days we’ve had Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro shoutouts ... what the fuck is going on ... ?

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

standard conservatism is the new punk rock

mercury likes this.
  14. chris

Trusted Supporter

Reddit was made aware of this forum

15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Antifa does dumb shit sometimes, but overall they shit they do generally ends up being good, aka fighting white supremacists. And they’re also not a monolith. Some of them are straight up anarchists and hate left wingers as much as right wingers.

supernovagirl likes this.
  16. How dare you act like this isn’t a yes or no question David. This is the Internet!

David87 likes this.
  17. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Jason is an antifa super soldier.

18. Eclipse

Regular

Did you not get the email that said if you upgrade your account by 2019 you get a bike lock and mask with your purchase?

19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

the funniest shit in the world is people thinking antifa is any sort of centralized organization

20. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Even better are the people who acting like antifa are these boogie men out to take over the world or something, while literal fascists are actually doing that right now

21. Captain Anti-merica?

St. Nate, supernovagirl and sophos34 like this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Shut down the site for a few days. It's the only way.

Step 1: shut down the site
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: profit

23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Jason go on Joe Rogan

mercury, dadbolt and paperlung like this.
  24. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Seriously though what abysmal reddit thread did we get linked in that has all these dudes crawling out of the woodwork?

25. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

But they are clean cut and wear khakis...how bad can they be?