Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 99

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. You say you don't want to infantilize her, but it is exactly what you are doing. You would be okay if she had a nude scene elsewhere because the director didn't work with her when she was a child, is that what you mean there? Were you ever as uncomfortable with rape scenes (Sansa and Dany) from the show as you were with Arya's scene? What about Tommen and Margaery? Tommen is under the age of consent! (13/14 in show v. 21/22 for Margaery). Did you have a problem with Maisie being a child when she was still filming killing scenes? I get that you're okay with the consent of the scene itself, but I find that your concern is over the top here because at the end of the day, Maisie herself was comfortable doing this scene. Not only that, but you having such a problem with it also undermines Maisie as an adult and actor.

K0ta, SincerelyEmma, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  2. Brian R Muldoon

All isms are not equal.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

This is an issue I can never rly pin down how I feel. My gut is to be like ok no our bodies aren't commodities and its not empowering to sell and objectify them. But then I hear positive stories from ppl who've done sex work and I don't wanna dismiss that. I just feel like the number of ppl who have a positive experience of sex work must be so vastly vastly small compared to the number of women it harms. I don't think sex workers should be punished or treated badly but I also can't get on board with the narrative that it's empowering for women. It may be personally empowering for someone but for women as a whole, it's not I'm sry. For like the small percentage of privileged women it benefits and empowers I feel like there's countless more who are suffering. At the end of the day men are still consuming our bodies and I just can't reconcile that in my brain but I'm open to learning more about it. This is an area where I always feel kinda old fashioned and prudish. I don't have a problem supporting sex workers and I think police are a huge threat and danger to sex workers so I don't think cracking down on that is helpful but i just don't know what to make of all of it

Oskarr likes this.
  5. Kiana

Religion affiliated hospitals shouldn't exist and it's bs when it's the only hospital in the area. Forget abortion, you can't even get your tubes tied at the Catholic (and only) hospital here. It should all be illegal af.

Shakriel, K0ta, Keri and 1 other person like this.
  6. In recent months I've stopped moving out of the way on sidewalks if I'm on the right side and there are people coming towards me in my line of walking. Today there was a group of four people taking up the whole path and I didn't move out of the way and it was a guy who was walking in my direction. He just expected me to move and then when I didn't it forced him to move out of the way of hitting me. Never even looked at me coming, just the expectation that I would be the one to move even though he was clearly taking up all the space.

Btw this can work with anyone, doesn't have to be just men. But it's interesting to see who will move out of the way for each other and who is used to others moving for them.

RJ Knorr, maryp1603, bigmike and 4 others like this.
  7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I do this all time. I live in Chicago and run. I'm 6'4 so if you don't see me coming that's on you.

RJ Knorr, Keri and bigmike like this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Whoopi's shown her internalized misogyny before and it's a bummer

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I had no clue that's why she wore baggy clothes, being a teenage girl is enough of a nightmare imagine being that famous

CarpetElf likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Men are gross

CarpetElf likes this.
  11. Kiana

Men were a mistake

12. Kiana

Also loving this headline since I'm used to seeing it the other way around and women described as so and so's wife

Screenshot_20190729-185802.png

kassie09 and CarpetElf like this.
  13. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

:-|

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I love how they always make it clear that they're awful at sex
    Also does he not realize that babies become adults

morgantayler and K0ta like this.
  15. Kiana

How many women posters who are regularly active are left on the forums? I feel like the numbers are dwindling.

16. mad

I was right. Prestigious

bigmike, iCarly Rae Jepsen and K0ta like this.
  17. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Martina lmaooo

Jk jk. I wish there were more women though!

SmithBerryCrunch, mad, LWS and 4 others like this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I didn’t want to be the one, lol.

Also me!

mad, LWS, personalmaps and 2 others like this.
  19. K0ta

tyramail likes this.
  20. K0ta

21. I’m here forever

K0ta likes this.
  22. personalmaps

objectively we have a great group I hope it grows

Kiana, Mary V and K0ta like this.
  23. personalmaps

Let’s do a chorus.fm ladies’ book club

24. K0ta

25. Women only?! What's next, clowns only?!?!