Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 95

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. lightning

@Keri Do they know the person's name/who it is? Any heads of any departments who can be talked to?

:tear:

2. @lightning The police do have some pictures of people and they wanted the students to try and identify him. But it's always dark and they can't remember his face anymore. That's what I forgot to add in the OP, I guess they are trying to do something so that's good. But I never see police patrolling campus.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

god this was depressing

mercury likes this.
  4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Glad someone called her out. I'm tired of people and choice feminism saying the Kardashians are harmless when theyre not. Kim has more than enough money and doesn't need to do this. It's disgusting.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I don't get how any of this is legal it shouldn't be with the fda

7. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Shit like that makes me fucking sick, it's soooo harmful. Glad I don't follow her.

8. Kiana

What gets me is that the kards obviously don't even use these things. At least if they did it would be like ok still sad and harmful let's unpack this. But I'm tired of them getting procedures done and then acting like it's an attainable standard thru exercise or these products when it's not. And not even just this stuff. They tried shilling those scam credit cards a while back and idk how they are not completely embarrassed and ashamed.

lightning, oakhurst, mercury and 2 others like this.
  9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I would never say they are harmless but I still defend them because sooo much of the criticism leveled at them is just run of the mill sexism. that being said you're right she absolutely shouldn't be pedalling products like this, it's harmful and unnecessary and does nothing for her actual brand. I guess they just feel like it fits because part of their brand IS having "the perfect body" so they've always hustled diet pills and other shit. It's irresponsible af because that's obviously not how they got the bodies they have.

edited to add: also at least it says ad in front. That's such a recent and much-needed addition to instagram pedaling

10. Kiana

They def get a lot of ridiculous criticism that is sexist and I wish more people with platforms criticized them for the reasons they deserve and I wish they were challenged more in legit ways. I remember in college I wrote a paper on the harmful weightloss products they endorsed and that was when they were more D list and desperate. They are beyond loaded now. Someone needs to tell them they don't need to endorse everything.

lightning likes this.
  11. supernovagirl

definitely true

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

There's definitely a lot of sexism with dudes saying they're bad influences and ruining America because they have butts or something

supernovagirl likes this.
  13. supernovagirl

that and to me it's obvious to tell where someone's distaste is coming from usually. Like I can tell genuine criticism from misogyny. I guess I am one of the "choice feminists" Kiana talked about lol but it really bothers me. Like this society objectifies women's bodies ALL day long and when someone wants to lean into that and capitalize off of it then nobody likes it. I think she has every right to benefit from the same crushing expectations that hold us all down, it just sucks that by doing so she is helping to reinforce these expectations. It's a slippery slope kinda deal for sure. She's problematic of course and harmful sure but doesn't deserve half the shit leveled at her.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  14. Kiana

My issue with choice feminism and like empowerment thru sexualizing bodies is that it always looks the same. At first I was like yas get it girls! But after seeing the shtick for years I'm like ok.... who is this actually benefiting? Because so far it's still women being sexualized and objectified and following patriarchal white western standards of beauty but we're saying it's empowering but I'm not sure how it's empowering the movement. Like those models who posed naked for that publication with food all over them in some rly awful positions were saying how empowering it is and I'm like. No. Maybe it's personally empowering for you I guess, but you posing naked with spaghetti all over you is not empowering me and I struggle to see how it furthers a movement. I don't think they should be shamed or called whores for it or anything, but I 100% question that its doing anything for the movement as a whole. Like I'd be more on board if they were just like yeah I felt strong and sexy and hot instead of making it seem like some big step for a movement.

bigmike, mad, Zoshchenko and 6 others like this.
  15. supernovagirl

That’s fair. I guess I just see it as women are going to be sexualized and objectified regardless so being Somewhat in control of your sexualization is empowering for some.
    I think something can be empowering and not be doing something “for the movement” if that makes sense. I think you’re conflating them as needing to be one and the same and they don’t have to be, you know?

Like it’s not like Kim is saying oh I’m doing this for feminism. But if she (and those models you speak of) want to be in control of their own sexualization I support that. Ya know

16. Kiana May 16, 2018
    (Last edited: May 16, 2018)
    Kiana

No im not conflating it imo. I don't think every choice we make needs to be a feminist act, but I think sometimes people and the media conflate personal empowerment with empowerment. I feel empowered when I wear makeup cause I had a controlling ex who didn't want me to. The choice feels personally empowering for me, but it isn't empowering as a whole or by any means a feminist act. I'm upholding standards of beauty and doing what's expected of me and there's nothing feminist or subversive about that. My issue is when certain choice feminists act like any choice a woman makes is inherently feminist because it's all about making our own decisions. Like naw sometimes are choices are harmful af and also aren't rly a choice. Like I don't think Kim should be applauded for benefiting off the patriarchy because she is still upholding it and reinforcing it. She's monetizing it for herself but there's nothing good or feminist to me about perpetuating what she is, because at the end of the day she's reinforcing a very negative thing. And i guess I'd argue that a lot of these things aren't taking control of our sexuality. Still feeding into norms, still being exploited, still result of patriarchy. I think it's telling that taking control of our sexuality almost always results in things that cater to the male gaze and is rarely ever done in another way. But the sociologist in me also thinks most of our choices aren't actually our own soooo idk lol.

Also idek how I got on this tangent lol

17. supernovagirl

I only said you were conflating it bc no one in this convo is calling Kim or her acts feminism lol like she doesn’t act like she is one. I know we’re not exactly ‘arguing’ here just expressing 2 sides of the same coin I just think you’re “arguing” against a view that isn’t being expressed in this conversation.
    In the scope of like a wider conversation yeah we’re more or less on the same page lol

18. Kiana

Oh no i wasn't meaning to imply that anyone in this specific thread is arguing her choices are feminist. When I first made my comment nobody was even talking about it to argue with. My initial comment mentioning her and choice feminism is bc a lot of people and some media outlets gas up their actions as feminist when theyre not, and the logic often falls in Line with choice feninism. I was being general. And then I just went on a whiny tangent about this like diet coke version of feminism that is so prevalent in the media. Was never rly trying to argue with anyone in this convo. Just expressing my thots.

supernovagirl likes this.
  19. supernovagirl

Very true very true and yeah I figured haha that’s why I was like hmm I feel like she’s addressing a wider conversation not just the back and forth with me lol but it left me unsure of how to respond cause I do agree with you mostly

Kiana likes this.
  20. lightning

21. lightning

22. lightning

23. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

24. Kiana

I've always worked jobs that are like 90% if not 100% female coworkers and my experience has been very positive and of course the few exceptions are because the people sucked not cause they're women. But without fail there's always at least that one woman who is like wow I didn't expect to enjoy working with all women because ~drama and ~bitches. It makes me sad and I get it's internalized misogyny but I still get offended like stop. I mean theyre usually telling me this story because they realized they're wrong and they enjoy their coworkers, but they still act like it's an outlier or an exception to the rule. I am bummed for them if their experiences with women have been negative, but I'm no exception like sry women are awesome.

And then I get annoyed cause if there is a rift someone always blames it on everyone being women instead of you know human beings who are complex and don't always get along every second of the day

25. lightning