Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 92

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

She's not for everyone in terms of music but this poem from Halsey is absolutely phenomenal and should be required viewing.

2. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

For anyone in western PA

3. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

What's everyone's opinion in here about this issue/concern, in regards to the women's marches? Y'all have posted some links discussing how the March feels, for lack of better words, white...and safe..and how it sorta feels like an excuse to wear a hat, post a selrie, and have a good time...and in the case of this article, you're working with government/police too.

But on the other hand, it does allow people who normally donr pay attention and don't protest a chance to voice their voices (that's right)... get their message heard...etc. I mean, in theory, it's a good thing. Like I'd be pressed to say it's a bad thing.

Like I've heard from many that ask "what are they protesting now (eyeroll)?" And I had to remind them that now more than ever it's clear that women need to continue to push their message...

I personally know my take on it...but my take isn't relevant really.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Natalie Portman's speech was also really something

maryp1603, RJ Knorr and mercury like this.
  5. lightning

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Honestly anecdotally the married women I know have to take care of the child(ren) and their husband. It seems exhausting and annoying. And none of them are like old fashioned traditional households except maybe one. Their husbands just seem entitled and lazy. My dad and stepmom are the only couple I really see where it doesn't feel that way, but they also work different schedules so one is like on duty with the household in the morning and the other in the evening

skogsraet and storm like this.
  7. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Those tweets resonated so much with me. Getting married and having kids has never been something I wanted or intended to do and that any woman would want that life always confused me, especially because of how it ends up being more work. This was definitely the case for my mom. My dad considered raising children to be “her job” to the point where I could count on my hands the occasions he spent time with me and my brothers as kids, and he lived with us. That said, my brothers don’t seem to have any desire to get married, but I feel like if they did, they’d do it differently. It’s anecdotal, but idk, maybe there’s hope for this generation.

Chris Prindle and storm like this.
  8. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

A lot of fathers have this idea that you can trade emotional responsibility for financial responsibility aka “I work 50 hours a week to pay for everything therefore don’t bother me with things like groceries, report cards, doctors appointments, etc.”. I think with more two-working-parent households this is changing, but that mentality is still pervasive. So many of the women I work with share essentially the same story in that “oh I have to make supper since my BF/husband won’t eat anything else wise” and it’s like uhhh the last thing I wanna do after working a day at my job is going home and doing chores for someone.

CarpetElf, LWS, storm and 1 other person like this.
  9. Kiana

In my experience women I know often talk about it with this air of ~oh men, like they infantalize their spouses and I can't stand that. They act like their husband can't cook or clean or do a thing competently on their own. It's like the Everybody Loves Raymond effect. Manchild with a nagging uptight wife who does all the work while the man just sorta begs for sex and food on the table. I feel like a lot of people normalize that behavior. Even myself growing up on sitcoms like that, it felt very normal that women just had to do everything and expect minimal help from their spouse, and it gave weird ideas about sex too like women just put up with it or get through it so their husbands shut up and leave them alone.

10. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

coming from a feminist who aspires to be a stay at home mom, I have somewhat old fashioned views. I would never want my husband to not lift a finger or anything like that, but if he's working hard to provide for us monetarily then I would consider my job to be "running the household" aka taking care of the kids, cooking meals, etc. Cleaning is iffy because I really hate doing that haha but at least picking up and stuff I would do.
    On the flip side if we were both working full time then no way would I take on most of the burden of house work too.

11. Kiana

I think as long as there isn't this forced upon expectation it's fine. Like I hate to cook so I'd rather a partner do that, but I will wash the dishes to compensate. We're gonna give and take and I will not do it all, and anything I do choose to do is an agreed upon thing, not some requirement of my spouse

12. Same. Choice is everything.

BirdPerson likes this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Women Are Staggeringly Underrepresented in Pop Music, New Study Shows | Pitchfork

14. mad

I was right. Prestigious

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mercury likes this.
  17. DJ accused of groping Taylor Swift gets a new radio job

Weird, it's almost like the folks who scream "okay but he wasn't found guilty by a jury" are full of it and there's no burden of proof women can possibly satisfy that'll outweigh "he told me he didn't do it so that's that".

(Obv it wasn't criminal court, but... you get it.)

BirdPerson, LWS, skogsraet and 2 others like this.
  18. Kiana

I thought women were ruining these men's lives tho but they continue to work... it's as if that reasoning doesn't make any seeeense

19. tbh if someone like Taylor Swift can't ruin a white man's career through ~valid legal channels~ then I'm not sure who can

20. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

That’s depressing as fuck

21. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Hello, thread! I am running the 2018 Chicago Marathon for an amazing charity supporting survivors of domestic violence and wanted to introduce y'all to it.

Run Domestic Violence Out Of Town is a coallition of Chicago organizations that aid survivors of domestic violence with healthcare, shelter, counseling, crisis lines, and education.
    Team Run DV – Run Domestic Violence Out of Town

If anyone would like to contribute to RUNDV through my sponsorship, the link is: Robert Peterson on CrowdRise

22. lightning

LWS and mercury like this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. lightning

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen