Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 86

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Trigger warning

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

3. lightning

TW //

4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

5. scroopy.noopers Sep 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 15, 2017)
    scroopy.noopers

: (

So I just got done going through a debate I on found on twitter about whether or not women who require men to pay them for their time are classists, and whether or not it is an act of womanism. I've been supportive of women practicing this, but these threads got me questioning if there is an extent where it does become classist. I totally understand people need to survive, and women deserve to get the money to do so, even if that means exploiting wealthy guys; it gives women a safety net that isn't there when dating someone who is poor. On the other hand, is it not possible for a poor guy to not drain wealth/emotion from their partner?

I guess, why even take the chance that a poor dude isn't toxic when there's security in the money. Thinking about it more, the act istelf doesn't seem classist at all unless maybe its a wealthy person refusing to date a person in lower socioeconomic classes.

edit:
    Dug a little deeper and, although I can't find how the debate was started, I found that brand of ideologically pure leftists really want to put theory before the livelihood of some women. I'm pretty damn anti-capitalist, but even I recognize that people need to take certain actions right now in order to survive, rather than wait a lifetime for the resistance to dismantle patriarchy/capitalism.

skogsraet likes this.
  6. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

skogsraet likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

trigger warning, and she's only 21 too

8. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

AelNire likes this.
  9. Yasqueen4

Trusted

10. lightning

thread

thread

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

12. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

All I can think of is this:

Carl Smookes likes this.
  14. Carl Smookes

Lol, that's the way to use it:)

15. lightning

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah and I still think they still need the male chaperones to go out which is such a bummer

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

thread

and followup post

SmithBerryCrunch and skogsraet like this.
  18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

19. lightning

And they can't wear what they want
    And there's no religious freedom
    And no rights for lgbtq people
    I could go on

I mean:

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

got a decent topic to talk about. Marriage and taking the 'mans last name'. When a woman doesn't even consider the idea of keeping her own last name or him taking her name....... institutionalized misogyny?

and is it weird that i'm always disappointed when i dont hear those options when a female friend gets married? Like anytime I hear a girl say "ughh my boyfriend/fiance's last name is the worst" and there's no follow up of maybe her keeping her name or she takes his name (this idea NEVER comes up).

21. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I think there can be reasons. I've talked to women who have their father's last name and they don't have a relationship with their father so they're eager to take on their husband's name. My understanding is that it's easier to change ur name when ur getting married. I do wish men would consider changing their names more. To me it's like shaving? I hate shaving. I understand that I do it because of patriarchal reasons and western standards of beauty, but I still do it because Ive been conditioned to enjoy the feeling of being smooth and it's just easier to do it and not be given a hard time. I acknowledge it's not a feminist act but then again not every single action I do is inherently feminist. I guess I see the name thing in a similar light? Although I'm always pleasantly surprised at how it's becoming more common for women to keep their name or hyphenate. Pretty much every woman I know who has gotten married considered keeping their name and I didn't even expect them to think about it because it's such a norm, although all of them did end up changing it.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I would feel so weird if someone took my name, it feels very possessive

skogsraet likes this.
  23. mad

I was right. Prestigious

One of my besties got engaged recently and I was so happy when she said that she's most likely gonna keep her last name

24. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

it's more common than say 20 years ago im sure, but i guess im just surprised at how few women i know keep their last name and NO ONE makes the man take the womans last name. Like, the idea of the man taking the womans name is asinine and laughable, even amidst my more feminist friends (they dont say its laughable but it's never a suggestion)

25. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I dislike the hyphenated names, Ive always said whoever has the better last name should go for both people. I also like the idea of both names changing to a weird combination, but the societal pressure really limits options.

js977 and CarpetElf like this.