Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 85

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I always tell myself not to read the comments on FB posts and articles, but I always end up doing it anyways. I read a few that were posting about the T Swift thing. Why did I do that? Ugh.

ship90 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  3. My period doesn't make me any more emotional than I already am (which means: I'm not) - the cramps make me less likely to put up with nonsense (although being on the pill makes them livable) and I get some serious food cravings, but other than that there's no noticeable change.

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Tbh I've noticed I just get more emotional in general now. Ppl still call me a heartless robot but I have noticed sometimes when I watch scary movies I feel sad for the ppl who die instead of laughing and being amused by the kill. Idk what's wrong with me!

Before birth control I'd do a lot of screaming but like in pain not out of anger. I'd mostly throw up a lot and lay in a little ball on the bathroom floor and try not to breathe or move. I don't think I could ever go off of bc and back to that life.

5. SAME. My cramps used to be debilitating. Went on bc when I was 15 at my coach's suggestion and it was the best thing I ever did.

Kiana likes this.
  6. Kiana

Today a coworker mentioned Taylor swift's assault trial and of course another (woman) HAD to bring up false accusations by women. She wasn't even implying that Taylor was lying. It's just like people can't help bring up the tiny stats even when it has nothing to do with the discussion at all. It's like BUT NEVER FORGET THAT WOMEN ARE MANIPULATIVE LIARS. We can't just discuss the subject without it coming up, even by other women. It's sad and discouraging.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

not trusting any man who rambles on about being a feminist is generally a good rule of thumb

Ken, mad and incognitojones like this.
  8. Kiana

Lol its kinda true. I remember once on AP some male user angrily messaged me in regards to a comment I made on feminism or women or something. I called him sexist and he was like (paraphrased) "wow that's a first." And brought up his wife and daughters as a shield and continued mansplaining and being condescending towards me as he preached modesty in women. I don't remember who it was cause I don't think I'd ever seen them post before that, but it has always stuck with me that a man can pat himself on the back so much for the way he treats women with respect and then be....not that at all. Men always believing their own hype!!

Ken, mad and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

10. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i'm so glad i realized like really quickly when i watched Joss Whedon's stuff that i actually wasn't that big a fan of it

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

12. I've enjoyed a lot of his work in the past. That said, a lot of it has been hugely problematic, so nothing about this revelation really surprised me. More of a disappointment that you kind of saw coming.

That being said, the article gave me a vivid picture of what would've happened if I'd actually married my abuser instead of just staying with him for 3 years, so that was fun.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  13. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

yeah, especially once you realize how much he loves sexualizing every female character, it's like... alright, this is all a little masturbatory, including your uber feminist pop culture god status. not surprised at all it got to his head.

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

sorry you went through that and that the article was triggering for you

15. Ehh, it's all good. In the grand scheme of triggers, it was a baby. It just felt eerily familiar more than anything else. I can empathize with her 100% because I loved the same kind of awful human. But thank you.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

That's what 80% of students

17. mad

I was right. Prestigious

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Anna Acosta and thenewtypetheory like this.
  21. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mercury and AelNire like this.
  23. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

That article is ridiculous. Look what you made me do is a very common phrase, and of course because abusers use the same language as everyone else, they repeat common phrases. I'm sure it's triggering for some people but everything is triggering for someone. That last line about how "we hope Taylor learns her lesson and chooses her words more carefully" really irritated me. She's done plenty of problematic and anti-feminist things that deserve critiquing. This is not one of them.

That article exemplifies calling out culture and how ridiculous it is. This kind of thing just makes critiquing things that are actually problematic more difficult because words lose gravity when everything is problematic. Also, I'm no fan of Taylor, but why is she being held to such an impossible standard relative to other huge artists like uhhh Kanye? Young Thug? xxxtentacion? We need calling out done in the hip hop industry and we need it badly. Don't waste that effort on Taylor. I'm def getting too worked up over this but it sucks that I get to work in industry where men are NEVER called out for their misogyny while Taylor gets this kind of unhelpful nitpicking. There's real work to be done and instead people are putting out these bullshit articles.

domotime2, BirdPerson, FTank and 5 others like this.
  24. Kiana

I find the phrase annoying because everyone has control over their actions and it's a pet peeve when people try to push the onus on others because they can't accept responsibility for their actions. It's also a phrase that I hear a lot by little children that I need to correct often so it's always a bit irritating to hear it, espesh by a grown person. I assumed it was tongue in cheek (which is partly why I think the song would be more effective if someone else sang it) and never thought about it past it being an irritating turn of phrase. I guess I consider myself to have been in an abusive relationship and the title did not trigger me in that sense, but I don't blame anyone who is. The phrase is annoying at best.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and AelNire like this.
  25. Yeah... the way she used it in the song definitely feels 100% sarcastic - like a parody in the same way that Blank Space did. I guess it's all up to interpretation. I've survived several kinds of domestic abuse, including a guy who always blamed it on me, and it didn't bother me at all in that sense either.

People just wanna be mad at her and they're usually mad for the wrong reasons, while completely ignoring the right ones.

BirdPerson, Kiana, skogsraet and 2 others like this.