Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 84

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

popdisaster00 and incognitojones like this.
  2. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I 100% get her point but it's always cringey seeing white people compare anything with slavery.

CarpetElf, mad, popdisaster00 and 4 others like this.
  3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

That's what I get hung up on too.

skogsraet likes this.
  4. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

mad, Robk, incognitojones and 2 others like this.
  6. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mercury likes this.
  8. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I really don't even know wtf to make of that whole Google engineer diatribe.

mercury likes this.
  9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

mercury and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  10. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

aaaand i hope he has fun finding a new job here in silicon valley

edit; i mean he probably won't have trouble, someone will read "google" on his resume and not actually ....google him

11. mercury

unfortunately I don't think he'll have much trouble either... would love to be proven wrong, but yeesh don't see that happening

I just can't get over how many people are coming forward thinking this sort of thing should be "respected" or whatever in the workplace??? It's blowing my mind.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

the alt-right made a fucking gofundme for him lol

13. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Jfc that's goddamn ridiculous.

14. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I live in San Jose, I'm currently looking for a new job and it's kinda surreal. Dude brought biology into it like whaaaaat even

15. mercury

Good luck! Idk what the job market's like out there, but job hunting is the worst. Especially when you're trying to navigate the "is this company full of awful bros" minefield.

Yeah I just... don't get it, or any of the arguments supporting it? I keep seeing a lot of "he's not saying that individual women are unqualified, he's only stating averages," but averages are calculated from individual data points and idk i just don't get any part of the argument that the memo is not sexist.

I just find it hard to read it and come to any conclusion other than "this guy thinks that women are biologically less suited to programming and also has no understanding of gender, and he's mad that white conservative guys are kinda sorta maybe getting passed over in Google's hiring process, but not really because the minorities getting hired instead are also equally qualified"... but to me I guess it's just indicative of how many people are inclined to agree with/explain away sexism if it's phrased in a non-vulgar and non-inflammatory way.

BirdPerson likes this.
  16. Made the mistake of reading the comments on this. Yikes.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

BirdPerson and mercury like this.
  18. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I participate in a Groupme chat with some online friends, and a few of the guys in it are alienating the only woman (and only POC!) left in the chat over this. I have the weird privilege of being/having been seen as a woman for 32 years but now transitioned to male, and I'm trying to fight this fight because she is reeeeeeally tired of trying to explain things to some of these guys and it fucking sucks they have these attitudes and are making her feel that way.

Edit that was a little rant ish but I'm pissed. We're all supposed to be friends.

19. BirdPerson Aug 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 8, 2017)
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

My father just texted me asking why I didn't tell him and my mother about my sexual assault back in '04 when it happened.

When you can literally copy/paste something you wrote but never sent to them because what was the damn point, they were never going to listen anyway....and still really aren't. But hey I hope my dad enjoys reading what he asked for.

edit: of course he and mom would have believed me if I had told them, and then maybe none of this stuff from the last few weeks would have happened. You know, the stuff where I set a boundary, someone crossed it, and now we're here? THEY ARE NEVER GOING TO GET IT. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO GET? IT"S NOT

20. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm so sorry your family is acting this way. I honestly just can't fathom being told something like that and being anything other than supportive. You're amazing for standing your ground!

BirdPerson likes this.
  21. Kiana

I usually hate televised depictions of women's periods on tv cause they show us acting so ridic. Even before I was on birth control I just kinda died of cramps and puked and slept all day after taking 10000 ibeauprofin. Not going thru extreme and irrational moods like it's often depicted as.

But I feel like I do get more emotional now. I always know when it's close cause I start tearing up when I listen to Britney's Perfume lol. Or like I teared up at this episode of Roseanne where Darlene let's herself be vulnerable in front of David. Smh.

22. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Yeah I honestly hate the stereotype of PMS and periods but at the same time I am truly an emotional nightmare when I'm PMSing so... I'm not exactly breaking stereotypes here

23. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

i mean tbph if my uterine lining just decided to peace tf out of my body with searing regularity, i'd let my hormones run amok like there's no tomorrow. like yall have every reason to be emotional and hormonal it's literally what your biological self is doing! i think bucking stereotypes can feel like a responsibility but it's not on yall to turn off the things your body does to your mood beyond what you can and want to control

sorry i get very passionately pro-women-on-their-periods bc having three sisters means im very comfortable letting them and my friends talk to me about how they feel when they get theirs and it just sounds like it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

supernovagirl, mad and CarpetElf like this.
  24. Kiana

I've seen women act a type of way on their periods and acted a type of way myself, but never have I see a woman act the way they are depicted on tv. Like not even close. There are totally symptoms and mood changes and stuff but the way I've seen it shown sometimes is just.... idk like it's written from a man's perspective or something. I just googled the modern family period episode and yep def written by a dude haha

ship90, mad, CarpetElf and 1 other person like this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

That was my initial thought