Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 78

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

so disappointed. I don't even know what to say.

2. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

sadly not super surprised, LA Reid has always been a bit of a scumbag iirc

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Bill Cosby is infuriating. I hope he rots in hell, bastard.

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I figured out who puts up the exploitative anti-choice billboards in town and I'm FIRED UP

skogsraet and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  6. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

It’s Time For The Left’s ‘Progressive’ Men To Start Listening

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

AelNire likes this.
  9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

AelNire likes this.
  11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

AelNire and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  12. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

16. cross posting from the Pinegrove thread. Some good @replies too

mad, skogsraet, mercury and 1 other person like this.
  17. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

18. Yeah, toxicity from each extreme is bad, but that doesn't mean we should appeal to "logical," "rational" centrists who think we don't need more progress.

I'm so conflicted by this. I applaud her for being the bigger person and actually listening to the other side, but I keep thinking of that segment John Oliver did a while back about climate change deniers, how if the debates were an actual representation instead of one-on-one, the room would be filled with scientists with a shit ton of statistics and studies vs. a couple of people who "don't feel like global warming is a thing."

19. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

AelNire likes this.
  20. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

'Dangerous Woman': Pop And Feminism

Probably going to post this to the pop music thread too, but yesterday's episode of On Point had an all-female panel talking about feminism and pop music. They talk about everyone from Billie Holiday to Taylor Swift and Beyonce and the effect feminist pop stars have on young girls. It's a great listen if you have the 45 minutes to spare.

incognitojones, LWS, mercury and 2 others like this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

thanks for sharing this! It's hard with pop music sometimes to see if I'm supporting empowerment or patriarchal capitalism, so I appreciate this

skogsraet and AelNire like this.
  22. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

yea pop music is how I discovered feminism (thanx xtina sis) but I'm often skeptical of how popstars use it and it's always a weird line to walk. I can appreciate how popstars impact young girls like xtina did for me, but I'm hesitant how "empowerment" is kinda always expressed in a similar way and I guess not in a way that I always find personally empowering.

23. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Yeesssssss! I'm always looking for things like this. Great post.

skogsraet likes this.
  24. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

skogsraet likes this.
  25. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

We're not perfect and I've already explained over the past year why the Left is absolutely ignorant and wrong on a lot of things. There are groups of people (example: MENA minorities and other POC immigrants) who are ignorant and uneducated about Western history, and they are from other regions with other dynamics, and they don't understand dynamics here very well, if at all. So that leads them to having very conservative/RW views, if they didn't have them already because of their upbringing and culture.

We need to educate and reach out to these people, listen to their stories, ask them why they think the way they do, explain why we think we have better solutions, how we can address their problems etc. Right now, the left is losing, and not just in the US. Staying in our bubbles is doing no good. Considering politics affects our daily lives, it's actually much worse to be stubborn and arrogant. Most people (regardless of whether it's online or not) just don't want to admit they're wrong, and they're very in denial about a lot of things and that leads to really harmful and ignorant narratives. This is prevalent everywhere.

Nobody is saying you have to reach out to race realists or climate change deniers. But there are still many, many people with different experiences and understandings that need to learn things because even if they're not on the very far right, they still hold a lot of problematic and discriminatory views, and things won't change if we as leftists just stay in an echo chamber, throw out memes and emojis, and say "everything is racist/sexist/homophobic". It helps no one and solves nothing, and I say this from experience.

There's a difference between debating centrists or your average right-winger and trying to talk to someone who literally denies climate science or something. Let's be real, right-wing rhetoric/policies are global and are much louder now. It's boring to see echo chambers on both sides. We need to be able to challenge each other in fair debate. Like I said earlier, it depends who she's going to have discussions with and what they're going to talk about.

I'm holding out hope that the debates she will post will be informative and helpful. I don't want to comment on something that hasn't been posted yet. I personally seek out listening to debates and discussions because we need more education and critical thinking when it comes to politics as FB and Twitter have become really reactionary and you can't really have long discussions there the way you can via voice/video. So, YouTube is a great platform for that and the videos can be easily shared elsewhere.

PearlWisdom, mercury and armistice like this.