Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 77

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Wanna hear a joke?

2. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

They've been killing it lately, and by it I mean their reputation of not being complete shit heads

AelNire likes this.
  3. Iamhollywood315 May 5, 2017
    (Last edited: May 5, 2017)
    Iamhollywood315

Regular

4. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

it's hard to gauge how "many" bands it's really talking about, only three are named and they're not really in the mosh scene as it is. i mean, it's fine by me, as i don't mosh, and it's a band and venue's prerogative to protect fan safety as best they can (and should). so not that ridiculous

5. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Anyone remember me going apeshit on a dude calling me sweetheart? Good times. :crylaugh:

Jason Tate, Jacob and mad like this.
  6. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

8. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

i am uncomfortable w/ this thread & the amount of women just flatly agreeing with it. there's little-no context/nuance, no room for discussion, etc.

10. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I feel like the way some women expect other women to instantly bond on them based exclusively on gender is in and of itself sexist. I didn't have any female friends for a long time because I made most of my friends in college and I happened to be the only female in my major. "Choosing" friends is way more complicated than gender.

11. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

It's one thing if someone has no female friends because they say women are bitches or drama or whatever. It's another if they just don't happen to have female friends, idk. I always wish I had more male friends. Pretty much the only male I interact with irl is my dad lol

mad and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  12. PearlWisdom

Pineapple goes on pizza

I wish I had more girl friends. My best friend of 20 years is married with kids now and she doesn't have time for me. I have a fairly large group of guy friends, but it's just not the same. My guy friends and I seem to just have such a surface level friendship and I miss being able to talk real stuff with a girl friend.

13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I was whining about gender norms in wedding ceremonies and a coworker brought up that gender norms are important to Christians. I wish I would've brought up how #NotAllChristians cause I srsly know so many that do not ascribe to that and like I've seen churches with gender neutral bathrooms. But I was at work and when people bring up religion I get nervous cause it doesn't seem appropriate and I change the subject. But it has been bothering me for days.

14. I don't know how to feel about this one.

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I don't see an issue - at least right now anyway lol. It looks like she's re-branding her channel if she's going to be doing debates and stuff. It doesn't mean she's done a radical 180 on her views, she's just being open minded to listening and challenging people she otherwise wouldn't agree with. She's not saying she's "taken the red pill" or w/e. Ofc there will be people who capitalize on this and start throwing memes, but that's going to happen. Whatever.

Besides, one of the few things I learn from anymore is debates, so that will be interesting to listen to. She actually did one with Blaire recently.

If people aren't challenging each other and learning, we are not progressing. It's so tiring seeing so much division - one section of YouTube saying the same things over and over, and another section of YouTube saying the opposite. If they ever clash, it's usually because one YouTuber is making a video that attacks another YouTuber, and not because they're having a rational debate with one another.

Stubbornness and condescension is what stops people from learning and changing minds. I've said so 100s of times. When I was a teenager and I was very much RW, all I heard from people left of center was everything was racist and sexist - no explanation or context. It made me more angry and defensive instead of wanting to change. I have to think of this from the perspective of who I am as well - most MENA minorities are inherently right-wing when in the West, and much of that is because of the ignorance and dismissal from the Left about us, as I've explained many times.

Speaking of MENA, I had no idea she was half-Iranian, lol.

And laughing at people's misfortune or saying "you deserve X/Y because of where you are/how you voted" is horrible. There's a lot of nuance and gray area in so much of politics that people are not willing to reach out to.

We need to do better if we want to "win" people over. We don't have to be "buddy buddy" with everyone or reach out to extremists/trolls, etc. But there's nothing wrong with reaching out to average centrists/conservatives/'anti-SJWs'. The key thing re: Laci debating is that it matters who she invites.

People can learn from discussion. What bores me about being in a like-minded space on a regular basis is that it becomes an echo chamber, and that doesn't do anything productive. We don't make the world better or change minds by doing that. We just nod and agree with each other and nothing really happens. And if you can't criticize your own side ever, then there's a problem there as well. We shouldn't expect to agree with each other on every single opinion/subject.

I had to read, watch and listen to videos/articles/op-eds and have discussions with people who weren't just yelling names, and learn on my own the past few years, to understand a lot of things. But not everybody can or wants to. Sometimes people have to start a conversation, and I think that's needed right now.

mercury, PandaBear! and LWS like this.
  16. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

I had a really similar experience as a teenager. Most of my friends had left-leaning parents and mine were very conservative, and one friend in particular loved to yell at me because I "was a Republican" and tell me how awful me/my family was for it. It actively dissuaded me from doing any of my own research or thinking about politics, and gave me a pretty terrible impression of liberal views for a while. When intolerance comes from a place of fear and a lack of understanding, being abrasive about telling people they're wrong just drives them further away.

AelNire and lightning13 like this.
  17. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

It took me going to college and doing my own research to realize that I didn't agree with the right. I just took my parents word for it. Even Christianity, all I knew was Southern Baptist. I bought a book about spirituality and Hinduism and my parents took it from me like it was some bad thing to have. They wouldn't let me form my own opinions and I don't know whether that hurt me or not? I'm an anomaly around these parts and I'm totally fine with that. It's just weird to think about.

18. I kind of hate how people on the right or people in the middle pride in being the logical or rational ones and call liberals overly emotional when there's a shit ton of academic research in ethnic studies and gender and women's studies that they're completely disregarding.

mad and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

well duh. they say facts over feelings yet they ignore plenty of facts or twist them for their own agenda

20. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

yeah this mirrors my experience and I completely agree.

mercury likes this.
  21. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

ayy I do remember that haha. was that here or on ap?

AelNire likes this.
  22. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

On Chorus I think but I'm not positive. :crylaugh:

Jacob likes this.
  23. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

He got chewed out hardcore at least haha.

AelNire likes this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

men are so weird about their daughters

Why This Backstreet Boy Hopes His Daughters Are Gay

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen