Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 73

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

IMG_2572.JPG

PearlWisdom likes this.
  2. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

i tried learning javascript and php and it just...got too difficult and irritating for me :/

yea she's been mentioned on here recently. honestly if i didn't live with family i'd probably buy a lot of sociological/political books but oh well ;/

3. Seigfried

FKA The Celibate

She's on a recent episode of Girl Friday podcast that's worth listening to imo. But what she talks about seems *relatively* 101 for this thread - that the label of "feminist" has been abused so thoroughly that it is now utterly meaningless (e.g., Conway and other right-wing women calling themselves feminist without even elaborating on what that means to them) - so I'm not sure if the book itself is worth picking up idk /shrug

4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

5. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

mad likes this.
  6. mad

I was right. Prestigious

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

omg

mad likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

AelNire likes this.
  10. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

11. Malatesta Mar 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 24, 2017)
    Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen Mar 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 26, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

15. Schmohawk Mar 26, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 26, 2017)
    Schmohawk

Eat Snickers, leave garbage.

This is a non-story that is being blown way out of proportion on social media by many who don't bother to read full articles or search out facts.

The girls in question were flying for free, using special stand-by passes held for employees that can be given to family and friends. Part of the agreement in using these free tickets is that the passengers have to follow a certain dress code. Since they're representing the employee that gave these passes away, the dress code is more strict.

Paying customers don't have this same stipulation, and would have been able to wear the leggings. It wasn't United Airlines policing their clothing, it was just a rule in exchange for flying on the airline's dime.

16. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I love Dana Schwartz lol

17. I read the backstory, understood their argument, and at the end of the day still feel that it's ridiculous to have a dress code for a flight - paid or otherwise - that precludes a 10 year old from wearing leggings.

Besides, after taking a gander at their dress code, pretty much all of their rules apply to femme clothing. Ergo, I'm side-eyeing the whole business.

18. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Those rules are old af too. I made a pretty good tweet about it if i do say myself. lol

skogsraet, mad and Kiana like this.
  19. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I was gonna say basically this before I realized I didn't have the patience lol

20. mad

I was right. Prestigious

21. Schmohawk

Eat Snickers, leave garbage.

You may have read it, but when this story first broke, there were a typically large amount of uninformed knee-jerk reactions from people simply based on a tweet, which of course, seems to be the norm nowadays.

Just because it may seem ridiculous doesn't change the fact it's part of the agreement. In the grand scheme of things, following a dress code for a few hours seems like a small price to pay to fly for free.

Of course, an easy way to not have to deal with all of this would just be to pay for the ticket instead.

22. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

RileyWitiw likes this.
  23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mercury and Sebas like this.
  24. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

It's so irritating when men assume women can't make decisions about stuff bc it's "men's work". This window guy won't even look at me. He asks my guy friend who is here. He was like this isn't my house to make decisions about, she lives here not me. Gets on my nerves.

25. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

AelNire likes this.