Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 4

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. St. Nate Apr 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2016)
    St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I mean... Put a top welterweight boxer up against a heavy weight boxer against each other and see what happens and there's still people who seem to enjoy both.

Point is, we can judge and appreciate different levels of sports based on each one's particular merits.

For instance I play volleyball. Every now and then I enjoy watching it on tv like on the olympics. Men's is more power based. A lot less rallies and less off speed rolls. Women's volleyball I actually enjoy more. They don't jump as high and the net is lower. Their hits are slower but there are more rallies. The ball is in play for much longer. There are more off speed rolls and tips. It's a bit more tactical than the power game of Men's. All of which I think makes for more entertaining viewing.

Edit: oh God just went up a few posts and saw how that dude so simply discarded Volleyball. A game so underrated and misunderstood. My game. The game people think they know about, but don't know shit about. Rage... running through my body. Voices in my head... Satan is that you?

2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

@Kev Then why is the U.S. Women's Soccer team generating more revenue than the Men's team?

lightning13 and Tim like this.
  3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I'll precursor this by saying: I want the women to be paid equally and think it's shameful they're not. But in the interest of clarifying some info: over the entire World Cup cycle (2011-2014 for men, 2012-2015 for women), the men generated twice the revenue. Also, the bonuses for World Cup/other international tournaments are determined by how much money FIFA awards for those tournaments, of which the men's tournaments receives significantly higher amounts. So not only is this an issue for US Soccer, it's an issue for FIFA.

I got my facts from this article by Grant Wahl (posted it in the women's soccer thread too), who is probably one of the soccer journalists I trust most to do thorough research.

Nick likes this.
  4. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

This exemplifies what I was speaking about. You are evaluating them in a manner that is rooted in patriarchal conceptions of "exertion". Sports isn't just about physical exertion. We know this. You are not being intellectually honest, because we know that it involves a number of factors, like strategy, which have nothing to do with gender. Moreover, take into consideration that the dominant sports are those which benefit men, which rely on characteristics that are specifically socialized into men, so the idea that men are somehow superior relies on a system constructed in specifically sexist way.

5. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Its not even just dominant sports requiring skills that benefit men. As far as I'm aware, there is little or no genetic reason why men should be better than women in e-sports and while there are some women who can succeed at the top level they are few and far between. Much of this is due toxicity towards female competitors generated by the largely male audience. (really good interview with one of the top female hearthstone players here: She's been called "the Michael Jordan of video games." And she has a message for sexists and trolls.).

6. Thank you for being here. Seriously.

7. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks for bringing this into the equation. As a gamer, and someone who frequents Twitch and watches e-sports tournaments, I have hardly seen any women at all and it's a shame. I love Blizzard's games - HS and HOTS are two games that I play and watch regularly.

Dominick likes this.
  8. clucky

Trusted Supporter

I'm really annoyed blizzard didn't give any WOTOG card reveals to someone like Eloise or Hafu. Having just one person out of twenty be female is still a little embarrassing, but at least you've acknowledged that female streamers exist.

lightning13 likes this.
  9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Kesha posted this on insta. She's so strong. I can't even imagine being in her position rn

"so. I got offered my freedom IF i were to lie. I would have to APOLOGIZE publicly and say that I never got raped. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS behind closed doors. I will not take back the TRUTH. I would rather let the truth ruin my career than lie for a monster ever again."

fame, ChrisCantWrite, AelNire and 7 others like this.
  10. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

@Kiana Yea...saw this trending on facebook. So absolutely fucked. Sorry for the language...usually don't bring that in here, but this is incredibly frustrating.

11. It's just so heartbreaking that she even has to make that choice.

12. Tom Lee

Regular

Richter915 and Anna Acosta like this.
  13. Thanks for sharing. I'm actually not familiar with either band, but I'm definitely going to look more into this now. I'm very glad she spoke.

14. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Bookmarked for later reading. Hope everyone is having a really good day. :heart:

Richter915 likes this.
  15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. I think Margaret Cho was doing something similar a few months ago. Jen is awesome.

AelNire likes this.
  17. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Yeah, she's still kind of doing it now but not as hardcore.

18. Tom Lee

Regular

You're welcome. I think The King Blues are only well known in the UK, although I never liked them, just aware of them.

Petrol Girls are wonderful. Their tagline is 'Feminist Post-hardcore from South East London' if that sounds like it'd interest you. Both of their EPs are great! www.petrolgirls.bandcamp.com

19. Letterbomb31 Apr 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 5, 2016)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

When I was learning to drive last year, one of my instructors told me that you have to treat a car like you would a woman. It was creepy.

20. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Whatever he was saying to female students was probably even worse

21. windowbirds

close your eyes until tomorrow Supporter

So Kesha's case against Sony was thrown out and the judge presiding over it didn't believe the evidence and said “Every rape is not a gender-motivated hate crime.”

WOW.

22. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

The judge also said Kesha "acted unreasonably" by refusing to take the deal where she had to retract her statement that Luke raped her.

Fucking disgusting, Im so sick to my stomach over that.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  23. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Holy shit that is so fucking disgusting. Like holy shit I'm at a loss for words at the judges response... Just the lack of compassion or basic fucking human decency. Just.. fuck this

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  24. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Sadly, things aren't shocking anymore. The courts are not meant to protect us. In this, one notices how, for oppressed people, the outcome remains the same with the perpetrators remaining free to harm more people.

Petit nain des Îles, LWS and Jacob like this.
  25. I'm confused by the statute of limitations claim.
    "It is clear that the statute requires physical violence or property damage," the judge wrote, and the only claims that fit were Kesha's allegations that Gottwald assaulted her on an airplane in 2005 and raped her in his hotel room in 2008. Those incidents were beyond the statute of limitations, according to the ruling.

But ... according to this (more) there is no limit on the statute for rape?

Why is that cited as beyond the statute then?