Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sexism/Feminism/Womanism Discussion Thread Social • Page 101

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

It definitely is fucked up but unfortunately kind of normal in the service industry. As a male, I got shit from management similar to that pretty often cashiering in high school. I'd even get yelled at for slightly leaning my aching back against a pole in between customers since I'd been on my feet all day.

2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

If you got time to lean, you got time to clean :sly:

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. mad

I was right. Prestigious

This phrase will haunt me forever

4. Maddy McKinley

I've just written my first blog about female athletes and taking ownership of their image.
    Please read, RT and comment. Naked Female Athlete Photoshoots: A step forward for feminism or a giant backwards leap? https://tmblr.co/ZJMnzV2nEBPsh

Importer/Exporter likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

6. It’s wild to see how few people interact with me any time I say something about abortion. I do not regret my abortion and would make that same decision again in a heartbeat. Every person who can bear a child deserves the same right to choice. No one should have to trek hours away and spend thousands of dollars when I can walk to my local clinic and have it covered by Medicare. It’s fucked up and it’ll only get worse if our government’s religious “freedom” bill passes. It’s already having a devastating effect on rural communities.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

[​IMG]

morgantayler and maryp1603 like this.
  8. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  9. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm trying to think through an issue that has been weighing on me, which is women who are/were in abusive relationships and their children got harmed. I have had several scenarios where women were in these relationships and the women took part in harming their children. Then the woman leaves the relationship and when asked why their children have been taken, they say it's because they were in an abusive relationship. I have a hard time navigating this. Trying to be understanding as a survivor myself, but wanting them to take accountability. Like YOU inflicted this abuse on the kids, not the bf (or not solely the bf). But where does it begin and end. I'm sure it's a case by case basis but I struggle with it and how to hold these women accountable while also being supportive of them as a survivor. Idk.

LWS, mercury and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  11. SmolRay8

I have so many thought on this topic, however have you ever thought that sharing your ideas with others might be dangerous?

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

r u spam

13. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Piss off dipshit

iCarly Rae Jepsen and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Can't tell if they were banned or deleted their account in embarrassment tbh

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I reported the posts haha

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Saw this going around on Facebook and I’m curious on people’s thoughts. A lot of the comments were saying “but the WNBA makes less money/isn’t as popular so until that happens equal pay can’t happen”, which may be true but holy crap the difference in pay is so drastic here.

[​IMG]

17. stars143

Trusted

Extra context... In terms of share of the league's revenue, Sue Bird makes 0.3% of the WNBA's annual revenue. Lebron makes 0.05% of the NBA's annual revenue.

In terms of "equal pay for the same job"... it is the same job if you think their job is athlete. It's not the same job if you think their job is entertainer. An order of magnitude greater people watch Lebron and buy his jerseys... he brings the NBA way more revenue than Sue Bird does to the WNBA. Sue Bird also is one of the only WNBA players that gets good endorsement deals, so she's making more than that.

The only times I've had this conversation in the past, the people on the side of trying to equalize NBA/WNBA pay couldn't name their local WNBA team and never watched the sport... if you're into it, watch and support it?

Also, just a reminder that the NCAA women's basketball Second Round is today.

18. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Networks and the leagues do not promote the WNBA or women’s leagues in general in anywhere near the same way they do the men’s league. It’s not an apples to apples comparison because the NBA not only got a huge jump on women’s basketball and were an established market before there was a WNBA they’ve continued to be exponentially more promoted.
    It’s interesting to look at something like women’s mma. Women’s fighters are promoted somewhat relative to the men’s fighters in general and they draw numbers and headline cards. Women’s tennis is probably a decent comparison as well although I haven’t looked at the numbers.

bigmike, Marx&Recreation and stars143 like this.
  19. "This makes more money than this does, so it is more important than the thing that creates less profit" is a completely logical statement if you're into capitalism and think profits > people. Within a capitalistic framing, this logic will always beat anything else. And from that limited perspective, it is reasonably logical.

It helps if you deliberately ignore literally all of the "why" factors re: one making more money than the other. Advertising, centuries of misogyny, etc. Because addressing those would be messy.

But idk, for me it's always gonna be suspect when people are treated as though their "value" has a direct correlation to the dollars they bring in.

Crisp X, Mary V, bigmike and 3 others like this.
  20. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Speaking of women’s basketball, reminder this was a problem last week.

Crisp X, bigmike, ItsAndrew and 4 others like this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

The way I see it all sports offer the same product and thus should be paid the same ,all that money goes to 80 year old racists anyway

22. stars143

Trusted

This is a wild take. Most sports leagues are heavily unionized and the players have a large voice.

domotime2 likes this.
  23. Marx&Recreation Mar 23, 2021
    (Last edited: Mar 23, 2021)
    Marx&Recreation

Trusted

The wage gap in sports like that isn’t really comparable to a more “traditional” job, because so much of a specific player or team’s “value” is based around celebrity and marketing. They don’t offer the same “product” because the “product” that they use to justify their salary is based on how popular they are, therefore how many people will watch them, therefore how much one can charge advertisers, etc etc etc. To say Lebron gets paid so much because he is good at basketball is obviously way too simplistic.

stars143 likes this.
  24. stars143

Trusted

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Being a bit facetious about how all the owners are somehow billionaires

bigmike and Victor Eremita like this.