Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Serial Podcast • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks!!

2. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

i feel like a bonafide gumshoe when I listen to these types of podcasts

Chuck! and ChaseTx like this.
  3. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

damn this gets heavy..

4. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

I decided to check out Accused after binging S Town yesterday. Almost finished with that now. I've had In The Dark sitting in my feed for a while, gonna check that out soon

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Finished ep 2. Damn

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Episode 1 didn't do much for me, but I'll stick around.

7. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

John B sounds like Buddy Garrety from Friday Night Lights.

OhTheWater likes this.
  8. 5Stories

Regular

S-Town is absolutely brilliant. I'm halfway through episode 4. I was listening to this in bed when that bombshell in episode 2 dropped, couldn't sleep for ages afterwards. I feel like if someone was to write John as a character in a novel or film, everyone would complain that he's too overwritten.

It's also so well put together, a worthy successor to Serial season 1. From what I've heard so far, Brian Reed seems to really approach the whole thing, and particularly his fondness for John, from a place of true affection and love and I really appreciate that, whereas with Serial I felt there was that captivating but often uncomfortable murkiness to the relationship between Koenig and Syed.

9. Also like Zach Galifinakis

Aaron Mook and thedrudo like this.
  10. Exactly what I thought of

Aaron Mook and Daniel like this.
  11. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

There are some pictures of John b's hedge maze on reddit and pictures of what he looks like as well. There's also quite a few theories posted there on where the gold is

12. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

About to delve into S-Town. Serial season 2 never held my interest like season one, Up and Vanished got hilariously self-indulgent in the second half (with little interesting progression to back it up), and In the Dark is fantastic (albeit different), though my podcast app always refuses to play it if I leave off in the middle of an episode, so this looks like a good option.

13. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished ep 4 of S-Town

This is pretty great.

NewSurrender and ChiliTacos like this.
  14. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Same and fully agreed - love this so far.

suicidesaints likes this.
  15. Surfwax Apr 6, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 6, 2017)
    Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

I just finished it. It was pretty good, though structured in a way that was not wholly satisfying in the end. I need to go back and read the rest of that vox article but I don't know if I agree with the sentiment that this shouldn't have been made - John invited Brian down there, was fully aware he was being recorded for a potential radio show, and ultimately the show is pretty fair to him and his legacy. On the mental health front, it opens the door for awareness and discussion. Additionally, it seems to postulate that the aim of the podcast shifted after John's death. I'm not really sure about that, either. It seems the "murder" mystery was settled long before Brian stopped visiting and recording.

16. bones

#HEEL

Agree, I enjoyed the hell out of it and powered through it in 2 days, but was kind of underwhelmed with how it ended

17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

2 episodes into S-Town, enjoying it fo sureeee

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I loved how it ended with Reed describing John's family's deep-rooted connection with the town and his mother praying for a genius. I know a lot of people want more answers with the gold and the conspiracy theories (which, I think Tyler has it, which is why he went off the record), but taking it in as John's story, it was engrossing. Really struck a chord with me.

ChaseTx and Daniel like this.
  19. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished this. Really interesting stuff. I wouldn't realy compare it to other true crime podcasts though. Seems to shift away from that "premise" almost instantly.

Kuri44 likes this.
  20. 5Stories

Regular

All I can say is please can no one ever pierce my nipples

suicidesaints likes this.
  21. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

No wonder the coroner couldn't get those rings out.

22. Is there an S-Town thread? Or is all of that discussion happening in here?

23. irthesteve

if I remember correctly, this was the only spot

24. Aaron Mook Jun 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 9, 2017)
    Damn. S-Town was super endearing. I was also underwhelmed by the ending and think if the ethics get fuzzy anywhere, it's in episode six when Reed starts telling us things that were off the record. And interesting as that interview was with the man John met on the singles line, I'm not entirely sure that it was completely necessary/appropriate. But the first four or five episodes of this were a rollercoaster and one of my favorite podcast listening experiences.

25. irthesteve

zmtr and ChaseTx like this.