Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Senses Fail Band • Page 96

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Oct 7, 2016.

1. cbronder1

Regular

Buddy just said on Twitter a couple days ago that the new album is going to come out next summer.

2. zachmacD Jun 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2020)
    zachmacD

Trusted

damn that sucks. Hopefully this gives him more time to tighten things up and maybe combine the best parts of the two albums he’s been working on? I’m in the minority of those that didn’t like the last record. Lyrics were ok but his vocal delivery and the musicianship left a lot to be desired.

Edit: I’m listening to clips of some new songs and the saves the day cover on twitter and they do not sound good. His voice sounds so bad and they aren’t catchy at all. Buddy has never been a great singer, especially live, but he really got it together around the time the greatest hits album came out and continued to sound good up until the last record. Not sure what happened

3. 333 GANG

ACAB

Where are the clips?

4. zachmacD

Trusted

333 GANG likes this.
  5. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Excited for whatever they do next. The last album was my favorite since The Fire and a nice change to form after not digging the attempts at a heavier sound.

Pepetito, joe.boy.fresh. and zachmacD like this.
  6. zachmacD

Trusted

If you don’t mind me asking, what is it about the last album that you liked? Were you just happy they weren’t heavy any longer?

7. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

It wasn't the solely because it wasn't heavy though I did dig the more poppy direction. I found it to be insanely catchy and relateable. Maybe their carchiest album since Still Searching.

The mother of my daughter was extremely sick during pregnancy so a lot of the songs dealing with death, miscarriages, depression, etc. hit me pretty hard. Saves The Day is also one of my favorite bands so I really enjoyed Stay What You Are as well. The title track may be my favorite SF song ever.

latortuga and zachmacD like this.
  8. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Ik u weren’t asking me but I hold the same opinion as koryoreo so I figured I’d answer and see if we agree or not. When I think about renacer and thorns retrospectively, I just plainly think they weren’t very good. When I actually do listen to renacer (and 1-2 thorns songs) there are lots of parts/songs I do really like, but apparently the things I don’t like outweigh them and leave me with an overall bad impression. For renacer specifically, I think that mostly comes from just not liking this style of heavy. While buddy executes the vision well, it’s just not a style of heavy I’m ever in the mood for. I don’t like the thrashy and sludgy guitar parts/tones/production, the lyrics are cheesy and repetitive, and a lot of the melodies are just ugly. That said, there are some phenomenal vocal melodies here (ancient tombs, glass, mountains). For that reason I was really excited for thorns, but aside from carry the weight, surrender, and wounds, I think that album is just boring and poorly executed.

I think the fire was a brand of heavy that buddy just nailed perfectly and resonates with me more. It’s more post-hardcore/metalcore than thrash, it sounds super dramatic, and still sounds like senses fail. I think ITILIWFY is lyrically meh, and even the guitar work is much more generic than the albums it tried to emulate, but it’s catchy as hell.

As I finish this I see kory responded but I kept going lol

latortuga likes this.
  9. zachmacD Jun 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2020)
    zachmacD

Trusted

Unfortunately/fortunately, I couldn’t relate to the lyrics at all. Renacer and PTTFYH pulled me out of a pretty dark place so it was a bummer, to me, for him to go back to sad and depressing lyrics. The Two records before were about him finally making it out of the depression then the newest record felt like a huge regression. Obviously if that’s how he feels, that’s how he feels. I miss positive Senses Fail though

10. zachmacD

Trusted

while I respect your opinion, I don’t get how you think the lyrics are cheesy. They are incredibly powerful, to me, and as I mentioned above really helped me put things in my life into perspective. Mind you, I was really into self help/healing at the time, but those records made me feel like change was possible. I still tear up when I listen to most of those albums.

We do agree about the Fire though. The Fire - PTTFYH are my favorite records of theirs and honestly my favorite run of records of any band. Especially because of the lyrics. Also, Some of those screams on the Fire, especially in the title track, are gnarly.

11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think the messaging is really strong and I can see why a lot of people reacted positively to them, but I guess it was just a bit too heavy handed and repetitive for me. That said, I don’t think they’re bad, just not what I want personally.

I also agree with your take on ITIL’s lyrics. I thought it was catchy enough for me to get over it, but I also couldn’t relate to them at all, for better or worse. Another example where subtlety would’ve been better for me but alas, they’re his lyrics not mine!

Side note but I’m in a Renacer mood, hitting good right now.

zachmacD likes this.
  12. cbronder1

Regular

It just kinda sucks that the new album was supposed to be recorded in February but now isn't coming out until next summer. I understand though with everything going on in the world.

13. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

My Fear Of An Unlived Life still kills me

cbronder1 and johnnyferris like this.
  14. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just listened through Still Searching and LIEY for the first time in awhile. SS obviously rules but I love LIEY so much. I know the lyrics are bad at points but I think the music is so good. Great riffs, vocal melodies, and the production is really good.

Pepetito, latortuga and cbronder1 like this.
  15. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Um. What's wrong here? (hit play and it starts with the SF song)

16. Dog Fish

Mutt

lol i remember buying this dvd from hot topic. The overdub is so obvious it's embarrassing.

17. bobby_runs

I owned that DVD for years and would always skip to it. How did I not notice that. Wow. I wonder who was responsible for that.

18. Heron182

Regular

What do you mean ?

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I’ve said it many times and I’ll say it again: their best records are their heaviest records. Renacer and The Fire are top tier in my eyes.

I know the last record was highly therapeutic for Buddy, which is great, but I hated the regression. If this new double album is essentially the same type of sound - I’ll be bummed but not surprised.

20. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Couldn’t have said it better myself

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  21. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I think LINAWR has become my favorite album

cbronder1 likes this.
  22. bobby_runs

The vocals are over the live instrumentals. Not the live vocals.

23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i never really listened to them past life is not a waiting room but just recently checked out everything from the fire onward. renacer is their best shit for sure, record goes hard. opener sounds like defeater

24. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Renacer is right up there for best Senses Fail album. Frost Flower is a treat - even at two and a half minutes long.

25. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Renacer love